FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent some time getting the new sharpener all set up today and wanted to give a huge thank you to all those that figured out how to make this thing better. I spent a bit of time taking the unit apart, cleaning castings and flattening mating surfaces. Once done I played a bit with a .325 chain and it went fast. Then I moved on to a 119DL milling chain and it too was done on no time.

So thanks HUGE to those that took the time to make a good unit even better. there's no way I would have known about this unit, let alone bought it without this thread and all your hard work.

Nikko

Plumber,

Thanks for the post, I just found the switch after your post. What a difference. My fingers shouldn't get so sore now.

I just learned from reading some of the older posts that the top piece is spring loaded, and is supposed to bolt to the base and works kinda like a hinge. Keeps everything in line. Here's a photo of me early on trying to steady the grinder on my knee while grinding a chain -- you should see some of those early chains, they wouldn't cut whipped cream. :cry:

attachment.php

I think I would have paid money to see this in person! :ices_rofl:

Glad you got it worked out! :rockn:

I see Northern has this chain grinder on sale for $85 so I ordered one based on the all the good reviews. If I'm not happy with it, I'll try to do the mods listed in post 187.

Are the washer kits still available???

Yes they are

Can't get shims. So........I"ll get them made too. But......
I owe a grinding project to an AS member first.
My mom had a stroke and posting is from a Blackberry from theur house or hospital.Recovery is not quick, and my dad needs helpat the house. At 92 and 86 years, nothing is fast.
Been a long 6 or 10 weeks but she is getting better.

Got mine on Friday. I have a Northern Tool store right across the intersection where I work. Get this... I find they have a few on the shelf, some back stocked, so I found the price tag and it was like 99 dollars and change, probably 99.99. I had seen it on sale online, so when I get to the register, I said, I see they are on sale online, but I bet they are not on sale in the store... The guy at the register says, let's see. It rang up for 119.99 or something similar... I was like, maybe I got the wrong one, the sign said 99 somethin'. He says "it's supposed to be on sale for 99?" I go, no, it's on sale online for like 85. He sends someone to check it online and he comes back with a piece of paper that says 84.99, so I got rang up for 84.99... :clap:

Then like a dummy, I decided to add the 10.99 for the 2 year replacement plan after the manufacturer's 12 month warranty, so I walked out of there after 101.72 tax included and have a grinder that I can replace once if necessary after the manufacurer's warranty for 2 more years. Probably won't need it and I usually just say no to all that junk, but figured for 10.99, and he just gave me the online price which I don't think they are supposed to do. I gave him a bone for giving me one... It would have probably been 10.00 to ship it online anyway...

I also figured it would be best since the store is right around the corner rather than online and having to deal with that mess if I were to have a problem. It's easier to take the product back to the store and deal with someone face to face. You usually get what you want if it's not out of line.

I've been working on my hand filing skills, but recently got a saw from a guy with a really rocked out chain. I filed and filed and thought I had it pretty sharp and within a cut or two, it was smoking... So decided to see if I could get a grinder which is why I was looking. I ground that chain a little on Friday night and cut all day with it Saturday and some on Sunday. Still cuts like butter.

Last edited:
My mom had a stroke and posting is from a Blackberry from theur house or hospital.Recovery is not quick, and my dad needs helpat the house. At 92 and 86 years, nothing is fast.

Sorry to hear the bad news, hopefully she'll have a complete and speedy recovery...

Very sorry to hear about your mom Rob. Hope she gets well soon. I'm still enjoying the shim kit you sent me, thanks again.

One problem I've run into lately with the grinder, the knob that tightens the chain vise down, will no longer tighten enough, the table is too loose, so I've had to put two washers inbetween the big cupped washer underneath, and the knob, I can't figure out what moved??? Unless the stud is pulling out from the bed?? Anybody else have this problem?

I'm sorry to hear that Rob. Send her my best and i can wait for the shim kit.

Went into Northern today to see if they had any grinders, and low and behold they did. I already had one, but it fell off the table a few months back, and shattered into many pieces. Listed at 119.99 in the store, ask the gal at the counter if they honor online price, she says yes, just need to go check the price. Comes back, says yep, 84.99 online, so types it in the computer, and low and behold, it is onsale for 79.99. Thinking if they had another, I would have bought it at that price.

Any more news on shim kits?

How do I know what settings to use?

I would like to order the Northern Tools Sharpener, but, I would not know what to set the various settings to.

I have 2 chainsaws.
Sears Craftsman (Poulan) 18" uses chain H72 (33SL).
Echo 12" uses chain S45.

They both say to use a 5/32" file.

Last edited:
Stihl grinding angles

I copied this from a box with the chain in it
hope you find it useful
Sorry, the doc is blank,having problems saving it
if you want the angles for a chain I will post it for you

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back