G660 "Blue" Farmertec 90cc beast, Assembled powerhead AS it came.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally found them. They have a junk website. The prices are mighty tempting.
Just understand its that price plus your time & some OEM parts to "R&D" around the sub part parts scattered through those things...approach it with the right attitude and expectation level they are fun, expecting a OEM level of functionality is a recipe for frustration.

Just understand its that price plus your time & some OEM parts to "R&D" around the sub part parts scattered through those things...approach it with the right attitude and expectation level they are fun, expecting a OEM level of functionality is a recipe for frustration.
Dang I knew there was a catch. Maybe better off to keep throwing parts at my old real stihls huh.
I have an itch to build a wild 036 or 360 into a light and nimble firewood saw. I’d like it to run close as I can to a stock 440.

Just put 3 tanks through my G660. 28 inch Stihl bar running about 35-1 Stihl Ultra. Starts great cold and hot. Let it set 15 minutes and its a guessing game on a restart. Waaaay rich on top end but feels like it could lean out to a powerhouse, we"ll see in time. Oiler is nemic, refilled it on 3rd tank. Will put it on a mill after 3 gallons or so if it hangs in there. So far so good, $294.00 to my door in 9 days. Regards Walt

Just put 3 tanks through my G660. 28 inch Stihl bar running about 35-1 Stihl Ultra. Starts great cold and hot. Let it set 15 minutes and its a guessing game on a restart. Waaaay rich on top end but feels like it could lean out to a powerhouse, we"ll see in time. Oiler is nemic, refilled it on 3rd tank. Will put it on a mill after 3 gallons or so if it hangs in there. So far so good, $294.00 to my door in 9 days. Regards Walt
Can you put an oem Oiler in it and fix that? Weak Oiler is a deal breaker for me. I need one to run out of oil same time as the gas or stuff gets Smokey.

Do y’all recogn the weights are correct on the site? I notice the 366 is listed as the same as the 444. I’m tempted to buy a 366 for a backup small saw. I’m running on one machine right now until I get my oldest 440 back going. If I have an issue I’d have to go down to the store and get a 362 I believe that they have on the shelf, don’t really want to drop the coin for a 461 these days.

Do y’all recogn the weights are correct on the site? I notice the 366 is listed as the same as the 444. I’m tempted to buy a 366 for a backup small saw. I’m running on one machine right now until I get my oldest 440 back going. If I have an issue I’d have to go down to the store and get a 362 I believe that they have on the shelf, don’t really want to drop the coin for a 461 these days.

If money is an issue and a ms360 is in the performance ball park, go find a Husqvarna 455 or even Husqvarna 460. Clean used or on sale new. You will have the reliability a back up saw has to have and at least with a 460 enough performance to get a decent sized job done. That series is both the most under rated and most reliable saw on the market. Don't even waste another second looking at Aftermarket. For what vib's your sending all they will do is frustrate you. :)

Those blue saws are best as a "saw adventure" where you are looking for a platform to work from to learn both how to work on saws or you want to explore modifying saws and don't want to drop the kind of "coin" that would require on new saws. The G372 needed some tweaks but ran out of the box, the 660 was closer to the mark but still will need a a few things before ready for a saw someone has to depend on. And the 660 has more development time than any of the other options therefore set a standard on what to expect. Mine is pretty good, but still is going to get an OEM set of controls and bar oil pump. My G372 is getting an intake boot, Both are getting all OEM fuel and pulse lines. Especially on back up saws where they are expected to sit...then perform in a pinch as the primary saw has issues, things like rubber that gets attacked by fuel therefore insidiously degrades as a saw stays idle are the difference between a successful backup insurance policy or a waste of money. Those two Husqvarna's will sit for a year and still start third pull. Every time. My back up saw is a 562...and its a two pull starting saw and has been for a couple of years. Before that a 555, before that a 455.

A person would be better off taking and developing one of those blue saws into a primary saw with a solid OEM saw for a backup, then know real time where the "development" saw is relative to readiness...:) Counter intuitive? The LAST thing a pro needs is an unpredictable back up saw. One last point, is doing that if a person has the skills; can be rewarding AND take time wear and tear off an expensive Pro Level saw. A three Saw strategy, Hobby/Primary being 'Blue", Main Pro saw NOT getting wore out and back up saw that sits and will run when needed. A good plan and for a person with the right skills and attitude a lot of fun. For most "pro's", that makes NO sense, just get the best tool and get to work as down time equals opportunity lost....Advice from an old man...

(BTW, For me there is BIG Time Fun in the "under dog" status with the Big Blue 660, but I'm a bit twisted on these things, and have a pile of saws to pick from...but have really been having fun with the "Blue Devil" saw...:) )

If money is an issue and a ms360 is in the performance ball park, go find a Husqvarna 455 or even Husqvarna 460. Clean used or on sale new. You will have the reliability a back up saw has to have and at least with a 460 enough performance to get a decent sized job done. That series is both the most under rated and most reliable saw on the market. Don't even waste another second looking at Aftermarket. For what vib's your sending all they will do is frustrate you. :)

Those blue saws are best as a "saw adventure" where you are looking for a platform to work from to learn both how to work on saws or you want to explore modifying saws and don't want to drop the kind of "coin" that would require on new saws. The G372 needed some tweaks but ran out of the box, the 660 was closer to the mark but still will need a a few things before ready for a saw someone has to depend on. And the 660 has more development time than any of the other options therefore set a standard on what to expect. Mine is pretty good, but still is going to get an OEM set of controls and bar oil pump. My G372 is getting an intake boot, Both are getting all OEM fuel and pulse lines. Especially on back up saws where they are expected to sit...then perform in a pinch as the primary saw has issues, things like rubber that gets attacked by fuel therefore insidiously degrades as a saw stays idle are the difference between a successful backup insurance policy or a waste of money. Those two Husqvarna's will sit for a year and still start third pull. Every time. My back up saw is a 562...and its a two pull starting saw and has been for a couple of years. Before that a 555, before that a 455.

A person would be better off taking and developing one of those blue saws into a primary saw with a solid OEM saw for a backup, then know real time where the "development" saw is relative to readiness...:) Counter intuitive? The LAST thing a pro needs is an unpredictable back up saw. One last point, is doing that if a person has the skills; can be rewarding AND take time wear and tear off an expensive Pro Level saw. A three Saw strategy, Hobby/Primary being 'Blue", Main Pro saw NOT getting wore out and back up saw that sits and will run when needed. A good plan and for a person with the right skills and attitude a lot of fun. For most "pro's", that makes NO sense, just get the best tool and get to work as down time equals opportunity lost....Advice from an old man...

(BTW, For me there is BIG Time Fun in the "under dog" status with the Big Blue 660, but I'm a bit twisted on these things, and have a pile of saws to pick from...but have really been having fun with the "Blue Devil" saw...:) )
I get what your saying exactly. Yea I used to cut 400 or more cords a year and have all this high end stuff left over, haven’t cut but for myself the last 8 or so years until this year. But my saws (MS440) are both “high mileage” and I have one torn apart. I’m a little nervous about how many parts it’s taking lately to keep the pair running and now I’m sticking a piston in one! I’ll know a little better how I feel about the old saws after I get this one back together. I may be getting to a point where they are kinda rebuilt.

The kicker for me is I have a day job now. So I’m trying to cut 3-4 cords a week on Saturday and deliver them. So I still need equipment that kicks butt. I can’t afford to miss a day of cutting because a saw is down. I barely can afford the time to run back to town and buy a new saw! Maybe the wife will quit blowing money after Christmas and I can just go buy a 461 for a “ backup” and keep running the devil out of the old 440’s. I just remember the days when my I traded saws twice a season and you could put 2-300 cords on a 440 and never do anything to it but fuel it up and clean the air filter. I ran the 036 and 360 saws before that and would trade after 100-150 cords and never had an issue. But you could feel them start dropping power and that’s when I swapped. A 036 class saw would get me by, but they are really not a good bargain price for how long they last compared to the 440 class saws.

Can you put an oem Oiler in it and fix that? Weak Oiler is a deal breaker for me. I need one to run out of oil same time as the gas or stuff gets Smokey.
Not sure if I need to do this, I am adding a second oiler on the mill. Saw will end up with a 36 inch bar. If I intended on bucking with this I'd change it to oil like my 461R does. Saw also needs another wrap or 2 on the recoil starter, mine feels too short, I don't like running out of rope on start up. There's a few personal nitches I have with this saw but if it breaks itll get OEM parts

Latest posts

Back