Galion dump truck hoist. How do you run the dang thing.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So how do you run the thing? It’s a Galion bed on a 94 f350. Serial and model plate is not legible. It’s dual cylinder. Has a pto. I savvy the lever that starts the pto running. There’s another lever in the floor that’s labeled “lift”. When I engage it I can watch it move a rod that runs through the pump.
It also has a remote with quick connects on the rear bumper (used to run a grain auger) but no actuator that I saw so I’m not sure how to even turn it on or raise and lower the bed.

This thing has been sitting for 3 years, my uncle said he watched it run before he bought it. But neither of us know anything about it. It has driped some oil while it sat. Nothing bad but I’m wondering if I need to add oil, but I can’t find where.

Very good idea to be safe and read the operating instructions before you operate it.

It has been a long time since I operated a dump truck, so to give you an idea (might not be correct for your unit-so read your manual first) it kind of sounds like the controls on the unit I used many years ago.
The first lever (different size/length) operated the pto.
The second lever (different size/length) operated the pump valve and the bed lever locking-hook. This hook is spring loaded and is a safety that locks the bed to the frame.
On my manual transmission:
1. Vehicle stopped- I always disengaged the bed-lock first and this lever also closed the pump valve.
2. I disengaged clutch/I engaged the pto lever/ I released clutch/dumped load/I disengaged clutch/I disengage pto lever/if necessary, I moved truck to clear load/then I lowered bed by opening the pump valve with the second lever which automatically set the hook to grab the lowering bed. I never ran the pto while moving the truck or at rpms above idle.
***I think*** the pto unit on the truck I used could be run with the pump valve open/hook engaged (valve open- vehicle stopped) in an emergency to lower or keep the bed down, but the owner did not like running the pto/pump in this condition, so I always used the clutch as my main controller.
Check your manual first!

Back