Gas Can Fuel Gysers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VP racing fuel still sells real fuel cans. They even have 3 gal cans now, I think those are perfect. I also hoard old style cans, it’s amazing folks will garage sell them. I got a 2 gallon the other day for .75 . I still use some metal cans that my grandpa used to use for oil. He would take them to the oil supply and get hydraulic oil and motor oil in them. They say FINA on them.

We’re required to use the metal safety cans with metal flex hose at my day job. I believe they cost nearly $100 each, but they work pretty dang good.

The homeowner Obama cans are a joke. Complicated and cheaply made mechanism. I have one that’s survived a good while and works as it should the rest failed pretty quick and never worked right. I won’t buy them anymore. I have plenty of metal cans as well as garage sale finds, however it’s getting harder to find garage sale cans in good shape.

At some point people are just gonna have to say screw you government. If the avaerage voter knew what government intervention and lawyers have added to the cost of everything they wouldn’t vote how they do. But they are all worried about the kardashians and measles.

The New EPA fuel can regulations took effect in 2009. So the changer over was in the works well be fore Obama took office.

It makes no difference how people vote becuse the only choice we have is rich people in one party or others. Those rich people have no idea how the lowly middle class and poor live.

They are so rich they have some one buy the logs that are paper wraped for their back yard party fire. have never fueled a chain saw in their life.

They pay some one to mow their yard and never ever talk to them about the new regs required to carry fuel for their mowers and other gas equipment. Oh what a pain thoise fuel cans are never occurs to them.

If they decide to remove a tree in the yard the wind blew down they also hire that done and again do not talk to the tree service about the federal, state, city and & township requirements to fuel their equipment either.

Look at it this way the old metal cans worked great for people with even half a brain. Those old metal cans lasted a long time with reasonable care. there for the comapny that makes fuel containers were not making any money and the Rich Polititions who were invested in those companys were not making any money either.

So they came up with a plan to pass a law they would make Americans who worried about the laws buy new cans with the EPA spouts. Because so many are a royal pain to use we buy more trying to find one that really work. the Rich Polititons are now making money from their fuel can investment.

Some of us find solutions where we can fix the problem for a couple bucks. But there are those who like to throw water on a nice grilling fire and say that doesn't work well it will fall apart.

Want you to spend from 10 to 20 Dollars for a fix they like but it is plastic. Those replacement plastic nozzles also break after a bit, have never seen one that lasted more than 5 years.

$1.75
shopping

$5.50
shopping

From $7.50 and up to $15.00 depending on where bought. They are plastic and break also, the top white one may be rubber so it isn't any good if a valve stem isn't.
old-spouts.jpg

Ask your self why water cans have EPA spouts and no vent?

:D Al

These EPA non-vented cans aren't just annoying, I think they're dangerous.

I depressurized mine, but it's a nice warm day and it re-pressurized the vapors in 5 or 10 minutes. So when I stuck it in a saw it literally blasted the half tank or so of gas already in the saw out - right into my eyes. I was glad to only be a few hundred feet from a spigot as I was completely blinded by it. What if I had been miles from water or on a fire?

These don't SUCK, they BLOW

The pressurized cans, seems to me, far more dangerous than the old cans. The plastic is so thin, it's like dealing with the Hindenburg.

gas-can.jpg

This can is made by Midwest Can Company.
I doubt the EPA gave them any choice in how to screw it up this
These EPA non-vented cans aren't just annoying, I think they're dangerous.

I depressurized mine, but it's a nice warm day and it re-pressurized the vapors in 5 or 10 minutes. So when I stuck it in a saw it literally blasted the half tank or so of gas already in the saw out - right into my eyes. I was glad to only be a few hundred feet from a spigot as I was completely blinded by it. What if I had been miles from water or on a fire?

These don't SUCK, they BLOW

The pressurized cans, seems to me, far more dangerous than the old cans. The plastic is so thin, it's like dealing with the Hindenburg.

gas-can.jpg

This can is made by Midwest Can Company.
I doubt the EPA gave them any choice in how to screw it up this badly.
Midwest-Can-Company.jpg

I wonder what would have happen had you just been running your saw and everything was still red hot. You would have burning gasoline getting blown back into your eyes and face and self immolated like a monk protesting the Vietnam war. These things will go away but it’ll take a couple dozen deaths first. My midwest can self ventilated today. Blew out the side of it around 3 this afternoon. It was close to 100 degrees and getting jostled around. I heard it pop over the noise of my diesel truck and with music blasting from 30ish feet behind me. Crew cab long bed truck with a 17” trailer and i had the can strapped in 3/4th of the way to the back of the trailer. Im glad it didn't reach an ignition source or it would have burn it all to the ground. I wasn't going fast and pulled over immediately, I blew a tire was my first thought then before the fumes hit, wait the truck didn’t behave like a trailer tire went flat let alone blew out. And i was going 20mph in a neighborhood, tires don’t blow at 20mph? Things are dangerous, a lot of people are going to get hurt in “thermal events” especially as these plastic cans age and get brittle and weak from the constant expansion and contraction. Some of the other manufacturers make it easy to vent these not Midwest Cans. I had gas sprayed in my face by this same can last year trying to release the pressure. Thanks EPA you did a bang up job on this one.

Mistake 1: You're supposed to be wearing eye protection.
Mistake 2: You're supposed to vent the tank immediately before filling, always.

I don't disagree that these style of cans suck...but if you use the correctly they're not any more dangerous than regular cans.

I assure you they are more dangerous sir. I have never in 24 years had an old style gas can blow out the side of the can from being over pressurized. I did have one of the new ones pop like a over filled ballon today. It was in the sun bouncing around on the trailer and I believe that caused it to pop. I know its not supposed to be in direct sunlight but the only other choice is to put it truck with me. Thats not going to happen ever, especially after today.
Thanks for the product safety knowledge. Maybe you can find a safe way to vent these midwest cans. Not as simple as pressing the lock button. If you do and tip it over gas spurts out with force. If you unscrew the spout it will also spray hot gasoline and gasoline vapors all over you. Their website, YouTube channel and Facebook page say nothing of how to safely vent them. Makes you wonder....is there a way to safely vent or equalize pressure with out releasing vapors? I released more gas vapors today than i have in 10 years. Not to mention you’re still releasing hydrocarbons when you vent it before pouring and quite a bit at a time all under pressure too. This is so stupid. Cars have a way to vent pressure, the evaporative emissions system, the have pressure valves and a charcoal canister to remove as many pollutants as possible. But its safe in the hand held version huh? Yeah I don’t buy it and I experienced it first hand.

Glad to see this thread.
I been laughing a while now that the epa decided it wants me to dump 25% of my gas on the ground.

I believe in saving time over saving pennies so I humor them.

I jam that thing in there and turbo fuel my saw and the ten acre area surrounding it.

Dont laugh....
I like to wear mechanix gloves.
I also am not afraid of a little gasoline on me. In fact I dont even think about it.

I fueled up one day wearing my gloves and got my left glove soaked.
My left glove just so happened to be my cigarette lighter wind breaker.

Luckily my customer didnt see me jump out of my truck with a two foot flame coming off my hand.

Glad to see this thread.
I been laughing a while now that the epa decided it wants me to dump 25% of my gas on the ground.

I believe in saving time over saving pennies so I humor them.

I jam that thing in there and turbo fuel my saw and the ten acre area surrounding it.

Dont laugh....
I like to wear mechanix gloves.
I also am not afraid of a little gasoline on me. In fact I dont even think about it.

I fueled up one day wearing my gloves and got my left glove soaked.
My left glove just so happened to be my cigarette lighter wind breaker.

Luckily my customer didnt see me jump out of my truck with a two foot flame coming off my hand.

So , if that would have happened while driving and the police had seen it you could have gotten a ticket for an illegal use of a firearm Lol

Back