Gas container help? please assist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTM150xc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So i'm sure i've seen some other fallers tote their saw's gas around in plastic jugs, for example the ones rain-x windshield fluid come in and i personally put all my bar oil in these gallon jugs and it works quite nicely. But as far as gas in them i'm not sure if it will eat up the plastic, ruin my gas and potentially harm my saws?

No, gas will not eat the plastic but I would be very concerned about safety. Those jugs are thin plastic and are easily punctured should you drop it on a rock or something sharp. It's not legal to fill them with fuel and if you get stopped with them in your truck you could be fined. Approved containers are not very expensive.

NCTREE,

It doesn't look like that one is DOT approved.
I don't know if the OP was going to use it in transport though.

That's the thing. DOT approved containers are $$$. Most regular law enforcement will let you slide with regular containers as long as they are approved and you're not carrying more than 5 gal. But if you are pulled over by state or have to stop for a DOT inspection you may have a problem.

Always use certified fuel containers and make sure they close and seal properly.
It's a safety matter.
Actually, if you think about it, the fuel or oil inside can be worth as much as the container so if it all leaks out that was worth the price you paid for a quality DOT URL or CSA approved container.
Now if you're just using a smaller pop bottle to measure out 2-stroke oil like I do, do it and clean it out with gas and dump the residue/gas mix back into your pre-mixed approved fuel container.
Fuel and oil is worth too much to waster nowadays.
~S

Back