Gas Powered Impact Wrench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those impact wrenches are used by railroads as already identified on this thread. As to who produced that one, who knows. I have seen them attached to Husky 2100's, 3120's and very large McCullochs. Never thought to take a picture.

Saw looks like a Olympyk to me. I had a nice clean one until I ran it over with a excavator.

wow, that would be absolutely perfect for changing the cutting tips on the D7s here, does anyone know if you can still get them? Or just the attachment maybe?

ok just read the attachment. does anyone else do them or do these guys export to australia?

Last edited:
the saw is an olympyk, mayby a 254 or 264 with a drill attachmant used a lot drilling holes in trees for maple syrup.

I agree Oleo Mac/Olympyk/Blitz 254. I have a complete running 254 I'd sell or trade.

I recently acquired a trimmer attached to one of those 80cc cinder block Macs (a 1-43 specifically). Thought that was pretty ridiculous, but I just got corrected.

Awesome find!

Here is a current gas powered 1" impact. http://www.racinerailroad.com/sites...; Impact Wrench Gas/manuals/impact_wrench.pdf

It appears to have the ability to shift out of impact

I'm not seeing where it can shift out of impact, other than that the transmission will go to neutral.

It's lightweight! Only 43 lbs! It still looks a lot easier to handle than the chainsaw based versions.

Harrygray- have you looked at the Snap On 18v cordless impact wrench? From what I understand, they can torque lug nuts on a semi tractor.

I'm not seeing where it can shift out of impact, other than that the transmission will go to neutral.

It's lightweight! Only 43 lbs! It still looks a lot easier to handle than the chainsaw based versions.

Harrygray- have you looked at the Snap On 18v cordless impact wrench? From what I understand, they can torque lug nuts on a semi tractor.

Don't waste your extra cash on the snap on. Check out the new ingersol cordless... 1200 ft/lb.:msp_w00t:

The gas powered impact is TOTALLY awesome.

I've got a 36v Dewalt 1/2" impact. It'll put more torque on a fastener than the 18v snapons will. It puts out 325lbs I think. It's hard to tell what those 1" drive gas impacts could do. I'm thinking they would twist the studs right off of a semi. :D
I'd like to try one of those out.

I'm not seeing where it can shift out of impact.......................

Please tale a look at the literature. It says

Versatile
Can be used to drill lag screw holes
for tie plate applications with optional
auger adapter.

For that to be true it cannot be ran in impact

...............Harrygray- have you looked at the Snap On 18v cordless impact wrench? From what I understand, they can torque lug nuts on a semi tractor.

How many foot ponds can the ole Snap On deliver???????? The gas unit is up to 760lbs

Please tale a look at the literature. It says

Versatile
Can be used to drill lag screw holes
for tie plate applications with optional
auger adapter.

For that to be true it cannot be ran in impact

I run auger bits in my impact drivers all the time. My milwaukee 18v will punch 1 1/2" holes with ease using my irwin auger bits with 1/4" quickchange shanks.
Linemen have used 7/16 hex impact wrenches to drill holes in power poles for a long long time. In fact, I'd bet that the adapter that they talk about is a reducer that goes from 1" drive to 7/16 hex, so that you can use all of the auger bits out there with a 7/16 hex shank.

I'm not sure on the torque on the Snap On, but having changed tires on a semi before by hand, if that impact wrench can do it, it's got some real power.

So back to gas powered awesome tools. This thing would be the Mac daddy of all excavator backup tools.

You gonna woods port that thing or what??

I don't know what I'm gonna do yet. I would certainly muffler mod it to start with.
I got a lead on a complete saw in good condition that I may purchase. Then I'd swap out the current power head with a new one to get her going. The power head that's on now would probly cost too much to rebuild. Cheaper to part it out and put a better powerhead on.
I need to make sure the gearbox is in good condition and worth fixing. I don't want to spend a lot of cash up front only to find the gearbox is in bad shape.
I'd also need to invest in 1" drive impact sockets just to try it out.
Lots to do and other projects in line first.
I need to quit my job so I have more time to work on projects such as this. Never enough time, never enough money...

Back