Gasolene and additives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A company called Trufuel manufactures three different ethanol-freel products, available at the big box stores: 40:1 premix, 50:1 premix, and something they call 4-stroke fuel (no oil added so you can mix your own) all 92-octane. It comes in really handy 1-quart steel containers with built-in no spill pour spout. It's not cheap ($4.00 per quart), but if you've just replaced all the fuel pickups in your '80s vintage saws as I have, you'll quickly see the benefits. Husqvarna also sells a similar 50:1 premix (probably private label by Trufuel), and Briggs & Stratton has just got into the act as well. The cans are re-useable.

I'm lucky: there's an airfield less than 2-miles away that sells 100LL for $7/gallon (leaded ethanol free) 10-gallon minimum purchase filtered off the truck and a gas station nearby that sells the complete VP-line of race fuels....lowest octane is 108....available leaded or no-lead...right at the pump for $10/gallon. Another station carries no-lead 89-octane for $8.75/gallon

I've found that the VP-108 leaded works the best in my 1980's vintage saws.

I paid $3.88 per gallon the other day for 91 non-eth. I burn too much mix to use Trufuel and don't want any higher octane than 91-93...
And if you're running a stock saw, you won't need it any higher either.

One of my local Stihl dealers stocks the Trufuel and apparently sells it to the DOT by the case. I think they decided it was a lot cheaper to use it than to risk burning up a saw due to operator error on mixing.....

I was just given a Husqvarna 346xp that was left outside for awhile. It was made in 1999 according to the date stamp. It had water in the gas tank. I flushed it out and put in some new ethanol free gas. Had to prime it a little but got it going with some help from a co worker. Nice running saw. Cut up some pallets and it ran great. Found the trigger lever had came off of carburator.

Wanted to mention that Walmart is selling a canned 2 stroke by the quart for around $5.00

I was just given a Husqvarna 346xp that was left outside for awhile. It was made in 1999 according to the date stamp. It had water in the gas tank. I flushed it out and put in some new ethanol free gas. Had to prime it a little but got it going with some help from a co worker. Nice running saw. Cut up some pallets and it ran great. Found the trigger lever had came off of carburator.
Best 50cc ever! You got a good one there!

Latest posts

Back