Gasoline Primer Container, what do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunlight dish soap bottle all I have used for 40 years.This gets used many times a year on all kinds of motors.Every old Snow mobile has one on board one or two pulls max.I see the new Sunlight bottles look like they are made of some kind of new and improved plastic which means they wont last like the original ones.The bottles last forever if they are stored out of the sun.If I have not run a saw in awhile I give it a fast squirt and one or two pulls and as sure as your uncles Bob shes running.
Kash

I was not going to say anything but.
You do realize that brake clean is made to remove oil and grease. That means when you squirt it down the carb it is going into the crankcase and getting into the crank bearings, the rod bearings, and the bottom and top of the rings. I will pass thanks. I always have some 2 stroke mix around and is easy enough to use.
Gasoline is a very effective remover of oil and grease as well. And in fact premix before its vaporized will remove oil film very effectively and has little to no lubricating ability. Brake cleaner is more volatile than gasoline so in all actuality you are less likely to remove oil film. And it's not like you lay on the spray for 20 seconds. Just a small puff.

We lived lake acssess only so used boats or snow machines to reach our cars.My brother started his old MotoSki sled with a shot of quick start every day for a good 6 years I still have the JLO 399 twin in another sled.All the diesel skidders were started his way they came from the factory with the container for quick start mounting brackets built in.The big secret with ether is like all good things in life Moderation .One or two small squirts isnt going to wtreck a motor but alot of motors have been ruined by too much. If it doesnt start on two short squirts it isnt likley to start at all.I cringe every time I see some one with a bottle of ether in hand.Some guys get right snarky if you tell them not to use too much.I just walk away they can pay the repair bill.
Kash

One must keep in mind, that gasoline dissolves most types of plastic, and you are putting that in your saw.
"that" = dissolved ?melted plastic?

IAW scientific HDPE and LDPE lab bottles are fairly immune to most aeromatic solvents = gasoline
HDPE is what gas containers are made from.
Biggest problem is UV damage from the sun, so mine stay indoors 99% of the time.
Ketchup bottle may be OK for a big block chevy but for me the lab bottles squirt a small amount quite accurately in the plug hole or in the carb throat. :rock:

I use a common plastic drinking straw. Dip the straw in your liquid of choice and put your finger over the end. The rest is self explanatory.

I thought those were illegal???
In this state, they probably are. They outlawed plastic straws because they aren't "green". Then they went to paper straws like there were when I was a kid. Now they discovered that paper straws clog the recycling machinery. You need a college education to be that stupid.

Latest posts

Back