GB Pro-Top bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
You know, I have wondered why bars are painted anyways, I mean the paint is only going to wear off when the saw is in use anyways so whats the point?

Just picked up a new (maybe old stock?) GB hard nose bar (they call it Pro Hard Top) that I found in a dusty corner of a saw shop. It is a 16" for Stihl. Haven't mounted it yet, but it was clearance priced really cheap so I figured "why not?".

I almost never use a hard nose. Maybe I'll put it on the 034 since I'd think it would drag the speed out of a smaller saw like the 260...

I recently picked up a few 24" GB bars with the big Husky/Dolmar mount. The unique thing about these bars are that they are bear from the factory. According to Jeff these bars are no longer being made!

7038.jpg

when i buy my cannon bars, the first thing i do is knock all the paint off with my prep tool. why, i don't know.

i like the GB bars. they seem to wear alot in the first couple uses, but then they are hard as an anvil for a good long time.

bare bars

The way I understood it was the "shiny" bars now come in orange.  Evidently the paint is cheaper than the oil bath and bags required for protection on the slow boat here to the states.

Glen

Are there any companies that sell a chrome bar. What about just a unpainted bar. I know oregon did have a unpainted "Pro" bar simalar to the GB that Rich posted. I have a 36" for one of the Husky's.

Bill

Oregon still has a PRO bar, I'm pretty sure they dont paint them but I'm not 100% positive.

As for chrome plating on bars, I'd find that to be a REALLY cool looking bar for daily use, although after a while the chrome would probably start to peel off. If you watch texas chainsaw massacre 3 the producers used a chrome plated 36" bar on the saw in the movie. I want a saw thats completely chrome plated, just for show.

Carlton has a bar that is a replacable tip and just the meatal finish.
Hunter

I'm pretty happy with the two GB bars I got from Jeff. One is the Pro-Top, and the other is the High-Tech bare metal bar. Painted-on lettering isn't lasting very long. Other than that it's fantastic. Slightly cheaper than the equivalent sized Stihl Rollomatic S bar, but just better. Stihl bar almost seems heavier, but then I haven't weighed it.

All my bars will be coming from Jeff from now on.

Chris B.

Gb high tech bars are by fare the toughest br I have ever ran accross when it comes to rail hardness. The tips arent too shabby either. I went through one, but only after extreme abuse in the form of cutting dirty wood for the better part of the fall and a fubared oiler.

Hunter said:
Carlton has a bar that is a replacable tip and just the meatal finish.
Hunter
Hunter is right, I got one of those Carlton Suki Hara bars from FMC and it seems like a very tough bar as well.
John

Carlton "TSUMARA" bar, made in Japan, supposed to be a great bar. Got two, a 24 and a 20. Seem good so far, but still on the 1st chain on one, 2nd on the other. We'll see.........

"LASER" is now selling the same bar with their name on it.

All the guys in my area are going to Sugihara bars. So far everyone I know is happy with them. They are lighter and last longer then the Windsor and Oregan bars evryone was useing.

I need to cut down a cottonwood that is about 80" across, a little too much for my 20" inch bars. Where is the best place to get an inexpensive 32-36 inch bar? I also need another 16" 325, and I've heard good things about the GBs. How do they compare in price with the Oregon Power Match bars?

Latest posts

Back