Generic recoil rope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dman7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ripped the recoil rope on the 2100 recently. This time I went to Home Depot and look at what they had in stock for rope. I found this spool of para cord that they were showing for $.10 a foot and it has a tensile strength of 150 pounds.

What do you think?

2d28363f3dc87c701ce402a17141d051.jpg

It has a 3/16" diameter so I can put a good amount on the spool.

77c3e9e08892607717eb779052d3a811.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure that will do a good job. I believe the shock load on that would be only 50 pounds. I might do it but I would go to a small engine shop and get some recoil rope. They should have a spool of it, if they are worth there salt.

I think you are going to have bad luck with that. Kermantle style recoil rope likes to degrade the sheathing very fast and when the sheathing breaks it binds up the entire system and hastens the eventual severing of the rest of the fibers. Subaru/Robin small engines are an example I can think of to use such a rope as their OEM offering and often lasts about 1/4 the time of a fully woven solid braid starter rope.

Proper starter rope is pretty incredible for the abuse it can take for its given size. In a pinch, it can be used as a general purpose binding and lashing twine. It is quite expensive to use for this purpose in the long run though.

I personally use Stens and Sunbelt starter ropes and can say I am quite pleased with the results. These generally last longer than all OEM ropes.

It got some good starter rope at my local napa for .10 a foot. I got a saw once on the scrap yard that had a bad rope on the recoil. Someone had used para cord like that and the outer layer had come apart and it was a huge mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure the eyelet that the rope goes through is not burred because no matter what you use it will fray again. On quick cuts we use a kevlar coated rope that seems to hold up really well.

Personally all my starter rope gets a liberal shot of teflon spray before first use. The starter mechanism gets a liberal coating with teflon and silicon as well.

g,

how does a saw from Sooke get all the way the MA. ebay? if you cut firewood i'd run it. if you need to rely on it out in the boonies put the real stuff on there and carry a spare.

Another point is to make sure to use the correct diameter rope/cord so that the rope fills the groove in the starter pulley, if a smaller dia. is used & the saw has good compression the rope/cord can be pulled along side the next lower coil in the pulley & jamb up requiring dismantling & possibly cutting out of the newly fitted but incorrect size rope/cord

Ripped the recoil rope on the 2100 recently. This time I went to Home Depot and look at what they had in stock for rope. I found this spool of para cord that they were showing for $.10 a foot and it has a tensile strength of 150 pounds.

What do you think?

I've been using para cord for years on my small saws and haven't had to replace a broken one yet. I expect the para cord to eventually snap but it holds up very nicely.

I buy the spools 8.00 per 100 ft it's handy to have around 5.5 size .

Black (for the extra UV protection) 550lb para-cord is what goes on all my replacement starter-cord jobs - I have yet to break one. Just make sure you melt the end very well, tension the core of the rope and then milk the cover so you don't end up with a bunched cover after a few pulls. You can get about 500ft for ~$9 off scAmazon, but it'd probably be cheaper to check your local Army/Navy surplus store for some real-deal taxpayer-paid-for excess.

Latest posts

Back