Get the Vaseline-Another eBay Purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the non smartass responses.I am well aware of the hazards of eBay and if I didn't enjoy tinkering with the stuff I would buy a new one.

Does Bowtie wear one? Bet he's cute.

BTW, The seller emailed me back this A.M. and said he would refund the money. I told him I wanted to see if I could fix it. Other than planting corn, I don't have much else to do.

Hey neighbor... Take the deal... If there is a broken crank, you can expect more surprises along the way. It won't take much before your rebuilding will cost more than a decent replacement.

Enjoy the website... you can learn a LOT here.

I got in a Stihl 036 today that was one of these I don't know why it won't run but it's not locked up deals.
The crankshaft is broke in the threads where the clutch is attached. I see some complete crankcases on eBay and also crankshafts. Would I be better offf to break this in half and start over, keeping in mind that I have never done it before? Or, take a chance that the bearings and seals in the used crankcase are good? I have replaced pistons and cylinders ,but that is as far as I have gotten.Randy

There are only two "sure thing" styles for sale on EBAY.
1) Junk or parts saw
2) New

That's it, everything else will be a risk. We all been there, lol and here's how you deal with it.

Or better yet, cut you're losses and get another 036. Save this one for parts if the platic and tank are good, maybe get one with a broken gas tank etc. and use the parts on this one to fix it up?
I'm not sure how mechanichly inclined you are, but I've heard putting bearings in some of thes saws can be a real bear to do.

Like andy is saying, get another to fix that one up (sometimes it takes two) Then when you have one running, sell whatever parts/carcasses you got left.

edit:Cisco, nice post!
Isnt that the point of this site? I thought it was. I cut 100+ cord of wood a year and that doesn't mean I know jack about cranks and seals, I DON'T FOR YOUR INFO... I think you took it wrong, re-read Griff's post, he was asking which he'd be better off doing??? Not what to do. Either way, Gary's comment, although I thought it funny and made me laugh, could cause someone not knowing his sense of humor to think he was being a dikhed for no real reason other than lack of knowledge. If he's here he's trying to learn, thats more to say than alot of people that come here.

Last edited:
There are only two "sure thing" styles for sale on EBAY.
1) Junk or parts saw
2) New

That's it, everything else will be a risk. We all been there, lol and here's how you deal with it.

Like andy is saying, get another to fix that one up (sometimes it takes two) Then when you have one running, sell whatever parts/carcasses you got left.

Well I thought you were right, but you missed the point of my "new" recoil springs being junk.

Still a crapshoot on things, but for hard to find items, you got to take the chance sometimes.

Sorry I dont have the parts that you need and I not an expert on the matter but I do live in the same town as you. Its always nice to meet another chainsaw addict give me a ring sometime if you need a partner doing some cutting.

If you can get your money back, take it. $150 is no great price for a junker.

If you decide to keep it... how good is the top end? what compression does it have? Piston condition?

and.... the saw will start without the clutch. So start it and see what else it wrong.

For the lower end: you'll either need a GOOD donor saw, and/or a bunch of tools (you can make most of them) and potentially some pricey parts.. The clutch side bearing is $30, the flywheel $20, the gasket/seal set 14.. etc etc... Oh, and you need a crank (used is often o.k. if they don't have runout and galling at the clutch bearings surfaces).

Use AS search on "splitting case". You'll get all the info you ever need on how to do it... and.. a service manual.

If you buy a used crankcase on ebay, assume the seals are bad and the bearings are full of crud. These are broken down in "non-surgical" environments, and stored that way... Just washing the inside is often not sufficient. I always take out the old seals and flush the bearings extensively THROUGH to the case with brake cleaner.

Last edited:
Take the refund, start over. I am currently dealing with a brand new item from ebay [original box, packing, etc. BRAND NEW] and it is junk, a fake copy that is a poor fake. The seller is saying, the name on it is XXX, far as she's concerned that's what it is. Even though the mfr. of the real one knows about these fakes. Luckily, it is a small amount of money compared with a saw. It was my first and last ebay purchase. Look around here and saw shops and etc. for a rebuildable busted saw where you'll know what yer gettin'.

I got in a Stihl 036 today that was one of these I don't know why it won't run but it's not locked up deals.
The crankshaft is broke in the threads where the clutch is attached. I see some complete crankcases on eBay and also crankshafts. Would I be better offf to break this in half and start over, keeping in mind that I have never done it before? Or, take a chance that the bearings and seals in the used crankcase are good? I have replaced pistons and cylinders ,but that is as far as I have gotten.Randy

Do a search of "crank" and "bearings"

I bought my 044 on ebay it took a decent amount of work and parts to get it into usable and more importantly reliable shape. It needed a new tank housing, new clutch drum, bar, chain, impulse hose, carb kit and misc. hardware. I knew I was gambling when purchasing. I'll buy off ebay again but I'll price out all the parts that could be wrong and the price of the saw and be a little more cautious about how much I'm willing to spend. I originally was planning on reselling the saw but, after putting it into some wood, I REALLY like the saw, and I've decided to keep it.

Thanks for all the non smartass responses.I am well aware of the hazards of eBay and if I didn't enjoy tinkering with the stuff I would buy a new one.

Does Bowtie wear one? Bet he's cute.

BTW, The seller emailed me back this A.M. and said he would refund the money. I told him I wanted to see if I could fix it. Other than planting corn, I don't have much else to do.

Okay... there you go...

My posts were pretty blunt to say the least... only because usually any post concerning the famous "I got screwed on an ebay deal" is usually 9 times out of 10, the buyers fault. There are times when a seller is just plain lying and sellin' junk. Ebay has exploded with sellers in the saw and saw parts market. So you have to be cautious.

That being said... I ain't gonna apologize for any of my remarks... since I know nothing about saws... :rolleyes:

Ebay is a crapshoot... When I sell saws or any other items I try to be as fair and honest as i can. Which includes a full write up of waht I have done to the saw or item, an honest description, and what problems (if any) the saw or item has. When you buy from anybody touting an item as "I'm not sure why it won't run" or "It ran when it was put away 10 years ago" or "I'm selling this for a friend, and don't know anything about it"... you are setting yourself up. Nobodies fault but yours when you get burnt on those items.

There are people on ebay, craigslist, and other places that will ruip you off intentionally... just be careful.

Gary

Well I thought you were right, but you missed the point of my "new" recoil springs being junk.

Still a crapshoot on things, but for hard to find items, you got to take the chance sometimes.

LOL! No, I did get your point. Busted oem springs, in the package is a little unlucky to say the least. My junk or new theory, will have a small statistical percentage that slips through the cracks, which those springs will fit into. ;) I'm sure you can get a lemon in anything you buy new, ebay or elsewhere.

Are you thinking we should just plan on everything from ebay being junk? If one did that, it would be hard to be disappointed with your purchase. :hmm3grin2orange:

I would take the refund. It is your best bet. I would advise you to make a timely decision either way. I had a guy receive a saw wait over 10 months then tell me he wanted his money back. That was not timely.

Bill

Ebay is a crapshoot... When I sell saws or any other items I try to be as fair and honest as i can. Which includes a full write up of waht I have done to the saw or item, an honest description, and what problems (if any) the saw or item has. When you buy from anybody touting an item as "I'm not sure why it won't run" or "It ran when it was put away 10 years ago" or "I'm selling this for a friend, and don't know anything about it"... you are setting yourself up. Nobodies fault but yours when you get burnt on those items.

There are people on ebay, craigslist, and other places that will ruip you off intentionally... just be careful.

Gary

Sadly enough there's not more people that are honest out there like you Gary...

:mad:

Your post cracked me up, and right off the bat I was thinking the same thing, "another dumbass on fleabay got burned by some scumbag..." Then I felt bad for the dude taking flack... Guess I'm getting to be a softie in my old age... And yea, I know you didn't mean anything by it either Gary, most of us know your sense of humor here. :cheers:

I got lucky on my Ebay MS200T/020T.......its one angry little saw !
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=66826
FILE0229x-1.jpg

Back