Get your wood ready, they're calling this one "Frankenstorm".

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, almost forgot.

Here's a really COOL new wind map just in time to watch the whole thing blow in.

You can zoom in to a particular area to see the localized winds.

It's really cool to the point of bieng artistic, and would make a killer display on the wall if it were possible.

Wind Map

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That map is awesome....it could put you in a trance if you watched it long enough.

Shea

Saws and generator are on cold standby. 12v battery charged, to power inverter for lights, so generator can have long time-outs.

We're on a main feed, so power is pretty reliable. Main prep here is to cut up downed trees for other.

(Took me a long time last year to haul & prep Irene's damage; current problem is wood storage space. We'll cope.)

Do remember, if you connect a generator to house wiring, to OPEN the main breaker. Linemen have a problem with being electrocuted. They'll find you.

Sorry east coasters, I couldn't resist. Fixed the map for ya:

attachment.php

I like it but couldn't get it to zoom back out after zooming in. Have to look at it again.

The button to unzoom is on the left abover the windspeed legend.

Took me a Min. to find it too.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If it could just land a couple hundred miles north. I like a nice historical storm. Bring it on lieutenant Dan.

Went to a party at my SIL's last night, and along the way out 78 into NJ we passed a convoy of maybe 15 to 20 bucket trucks and other support trucks from Georgia heading east. Also a flatbed filled with transformers. On the way home the signs on the interstate read "state of emergency in effect". They are taking this one very seriously, and so am I actually. This thing will be a strange storm - not quite as intense at the center as a hurricane, but much bigger. The latest Five Day Forecast Map has it going right over us.

Gutters and drainage are cleared, both generators run, I've got batteries and have charged everything. I've got fuel and premix and bar lube. We've got food and plenty of water, and of course wood for heat although it will be more wet and miserable than cold. The cars and tractors are parked where trees can't get at them. The big wild card is the trees and the damage that could cause - the 100yo catalpa over our house and the northern red oaks are the ones I worry about. That and all the leaves will wash into and clog up drainage, so I have the foul weather gear ready because I'm sure I'll be out in it trying to keep things running.

The shumard oaks have lost most of their leaves, but the northern reds still have most all of theirs. I did not take notice of that last year, but that is why I lost so many northern red oaks in the Halloween snow storm last year, while the shumards were OK. In the middle of summer it's hard to tell them apart, but when they leaf out in the spring and at this time it is much easier to identify them.

Wind here in Richmond,VA has started to pick up but we won't see much till later and the brunt of it tomorrow. Friday we had all of our bucket trucks and chip trucks empty and also put two cranes on stand by. After last year nobody is taking this storm lightly. On the plus side i sold 5 cords of wood yesterday, two of them people had called me about the other three the saw me driving my truck and trailer with wood on them and i sold a cord sitting at a stop light. :clap:

so now we play the waiting game, i am prepped up on food, h20, beer and smokes let the hurricane party begin:rock:

Here's whatcha gotta do...

From informal studys done around here, the above methods are 95% effective and should turn the storm back out to sea.
I have seen winter storms chicken out and go around our entire state when only 3-4 PTO driven snow throwers were purchased, and a couple plows mounted, so it works...;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm quite sure that at some quantum level the above statement is a "written in stone" law of physics.;)
I remarked something similar a couple of "less snow than normal" winters ago when a friend complained that he only used a brand spanking new snowblower a couple of times, to blow an inch or so of snow off his driveway all winter. I said I hoped he would then buy another brand spanking new snowblower for the upcoming winter as well.:hmm3grin2orange:

As far as us in eastern Ontario, they are calling for lots of rain, but fairly warm weather.

Issued : 11:00 AM EDT Sunday 28 October 2012

Today
Cloudy. High 13.

Tonight
Cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers this evening. Low 8.

Monday
Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Periods of rain beginning in the evening. Wind becoming northeast 30 km/h in the evening. High 14.

Tuesday
Rain. Windy. Low 13. High 18.

Wednesday
Periods of rain. Low 8. High 12.

Thursday
Showers. Low 6. High 10.

Friday
Cloudy with 30 percent chance of showers. Low plus 2. High 6.

Saturday
A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 1. High plus 5.

* in reply to Terry, yes the temps are in celsius, as we, in the People's Replublic of Canakistan, use the metric system, enforced by our ever present Big Brother Government.

Last edited:
We're in the Southern Tier of Upstate NY (Owego) on top of a hill. We personally were not impacted but six years ago we had the 100 year flood, last year we had the 500 year flood, maybe this is the 1000 year flood. If water gets up to my level I'll be out looking for Noah and his ark. Have about 3 days worth of firewood in the house with another weeks supply under cover on the front porch. Plenty of gas for the generator, good supply of food and beer, lots of bottled water on hand, flash lights all work, candles at the ready, propane tanks for the grill are full, chainsaws are ready, tractors are fueled, plenty of feed in stores for the livestock, vehicles are gassed up, wife is looking good ..... bring it on Sandy!

^^^^ that's in celisus correct?

just finished cleaning my gutters in the rain. all boats with trailers are out all non trailable boats have been retied for storm surge/wind, the shop has had the drains cleared and everything on the floor, in the part that can flood, picked up. have fuel for the saws, and chipper. but i'm not expecting a hole lot outta this storm

For all the people with generators, Why are you stocked up on water? Don't you run your pump on the generator. Just curious.

For all the people with generators, Why are you stocked up on water? Don't you run your pump on the generator. Just curious.

Lot of well pumps run on 220, not all generators put out enough for a 220 circuit. That and I would bet 80% of the generators run out there are not wired into a gen tran box etc.

Start up draw on even a 1/2hp submersible pump will tax most 5kw gennies pretty bad.
If other things are drawing at the time it ain't good.

It's a lot easier to just have the jugs filled and draw from them for use, than it is to shut everything else down every time you turn on the tap or flush a toilet.

We run a 8500kw peak gennie and even it gets taxed hard off the 1hp constant pressure well, so the Jugs are used for everything but bathing and refilling the jugs once a day.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I have a 5500 watt gennie. Thats 25 amps continues. The 3/4 hp well pump draws about 12 amps 15-16 on start up. Its on a 20 amp breaker. I have not had any issues, although because a well pump is expensive, I do make sure to shut fridge and freezers down when we use water. If its a prolonged outage, we have shower time. Everyone takes a shower 1 after the other, gets what they need done. then shut the pump breaker off. and run the house normal. Thats how we do it. So was just wondering.

We have a water cooler, so there are bottles of water in reserve. Generators don't always work, and I don't usually run them non-stop. We don't really need power all the time, especially with wood heat.

Also, east coast inventories of fuel have been at quite low levels lately, and with everyone filling extra cans and the possibility of infrastructure damage one should consider that fuel might not be available for a bit if things get really ugly. So I won't be in a hurry to use up all my fuel right away. And if this thing turns out to not be as bad as it looks then I won't have to go to the gas station for a while.

I'm sick my pop-up camper's still up. We just got back around noon and it was already wet from the weekend. My wife insisted I put it down wet. If something happens due to the storm, we have excellent insurance. If I put it down and it mildews, it's on us. I'll try to put it down tomorrow for a day or so but that mildew spreads fast and ruins quick. The weather the last two years at this time's been a bear for my camper.

Be safe.

Latest posts

Back