Get your wood ready, they're calling this one "Frankenstorm".

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I caved. Went out and bought 5.5 gallons of Kero. I know, I know... but I don't have the insert in yet. I guess, with little ones, I shouldn't gamble. I got a call from PP&L, recorded message, saying they think all hell's going to break loose and expect to be without power. I still have the gas logs in there so I can heat from that and the Toyostove DC100 double-clean. It's actually a nice unit. 20k btu's with two combustion chambers. If I light it outside and let it run for 5 minutes then bring it just in from the porch there's no smell at all. It's the only one I know of that you can vary the flame without soot. works well but I'd rather have the insert. Couple more weeks and it'll be installed. can't wait.

Well, I caved. Went out and bought 5.5 gallons of Kero. I know, I know... but I don't have the insert in yet. I guess, with little ones, I shouldn't gamble. I got a call from PP&L, recorded message, saying they think all hell's going to break loose and expect to be without power. I still have the gas logs in there so I can heat from that and the Toyostove DC100 double-clean. It's actually a nice unit. 20k btu's with two combustion chambers. If I light it outside and let it run for 5 minutes then bring it just in from the porch there's no smell at all. It's the only one I know of that you can vary the flame without soot. works well but I'd rather have the insert. Couple more weeks and it'll be installed. can't wait.

Got that same call too. Kind of scary, 18 yrs and never really lost power in any storm, PP&L is good about their systems so this has me concerned.

Got a 5500 KvW gen hooked up on a transfer panel. Never had to use it yet but think this one is going to put it to the test.:sweat3:

"For all the people with generators, Why are you stocked up on water? Don't you run your pump on the generator. Just curious."

There is also the problem of flooding causing drinking water sources to become contaminated even if you can pressureize your system. Not a problem for me because I'm up high but it was a very serious issue during the last two floods of the Susquehana river here in NY. We will be lucky if the only issues are power outages. I figure I need to run the generator 4-5 hours a day to keep the freezers operating properly and not lose any food. If we go longer than a week or so without power I might have a problem.

"Just think of it this way, Lots of trees down to saw up."

Ain't that the truth. It took me two years to catch up to the cutting, splitting and stacking from the last big blow. All that wood is neatly stacked and covered for this winter and next.:msp_smile:

We're rooting for you people. What the hell is a hurricane doin' pounding down way up in there, in almost November anyhow?

Much appreciated. Not sure what the hell's up with all this. We had the remnants of a hurricane early last September that knocked out our power for a few days but this is nuts. They canceled the kids school tomorrow and Tuesday already. Lucky me I work from home. :laugh: lots of projects to keep 3 boys busy. I'd say we'll do some cutting and splitting but I guess weather might not be so good.

Lookin' for snow here. A couple inches tonight & a foot or two Monday night. Hope the power stays on. Put a trailer load of wood in the wood room yesterday.:rock:

DSC03732.jpg

DSC03739.jpg

Just got in from dropping the camper top. They're calling for 75 mph winds tomorrow and I'm not taking a chance. Damn things two years old and water was dripping inside as I dropped it. :mad2:

I'm sick my pop-up camper's still up. We just got back around noon and it was already wet from the weekend. My wife insisted I put it down wet. If something happens due to the storm, we have excellent insurance. If I put it down and it mildews, it's on us. I'll try to put it down tomorrow for a day or so but that mildew spreads fast and ruins quick. The weather the last two years at this time's been a bear for my camper.

Be safe.

Smokee,

Dunno if it's too late or not.
A little trick to buy time when you have to fold up canvass that is still wet, is to hit it with Lysol before stashing it.

It wont stop the mold, but retards it's growth quite a bit and buys time.
Usually a couple days anyhow.

The temps dropping will help too.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Smokee,

Dunno if it's too late or not.
A little trick to buy time when you have to fold up canvass that is still wet, is to hit it with Lysol before stashing it.

It wont stop the mold, but retards it's growth quite a bit and buys time.
Usually a couple days anyhow.

The temps dropping will help too.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thank you for the tip. A good fella on here pm'd me that camp dry works well too. I really take care of my stuff and hate to do this. It's going to bother the heck out of me knowing its out there soaked. Hopefully the cold, as you mentioned, will help out a little. :msp_thumbup:

Bread and Milk-NOW !

Ole Stevo ( of the Patriotic Bra ) nailed it:
HYSTERICAL NEWSCASTS ( and why do they always show those ditzes with ball caps standing in surf or exotic do's swirling on camera ? Why ? Get into those overheated studios you fools . We know what it's doing outdoors. )

Love the Wind Map app with the T.S. region ( "Totally Screwed" is good meterologic tech talk ).

Hey, this is better than the ad $$$$ telling the dumb folks how criminal the the other guy is. Or, if you don't vote for #@%$#&, your privates ( is this allowed oh high executioner moderator ? :msp_sneaky: ) will be forcibly removed. First the elections B.S., now the Biblical Storm.

Now, run out, get your bread and milk fast, Fast since one 0600 broadcast panned a store's empty shelves. Empty shelf DVD ! Bread and milk.:confused2:

Ole Stevo ( of the Patriotic Bra ) nailed it:
HYSTERICAL NEWSCASTS ( and why do they always show those ditzes with ball caps standing in surf or exotic do's swirling on camera ? Why ? Get into those overheated studios you fools . We know what it's doing outdoors. )

I (and many others here) feel very uneasy and nervous about this storm, and partly because like you said that's ALL you see and hear-we know it's bad and telling us over and over doesn't make anyone feel any better but I guess they get their "high" from this stuff since it is their job.

Feel more nervous because of the unexpected-at least with snow you can try to shovel out but heavy wind and rain is more bothersome. Plus we have the memory of that mess one year ago....

STAY SAFE EVERYONE-I hope we all make it through okay! :msp_scared: :confused2:

Last night the wind was from the west, going over my roof and made for a hard time getting the stove started -- must've been turbulent up by the chimney cap.

Today it's out of the NE...and I'm getting a real nice draft from the venturi effect of the wind blowing over the chimney!

Same here with the venturi draft. Fire is burning really well. We expect the worst of this one between midnight and 7AM Tuesday. Heavy rain and wind but we kinda get that anyway. We'll see just how bad it gets. Power is the big issue for me. We know it will go out but for how long?

I (and many others here) feel very uneasy and nervous about this storm, and partly because like you said that's ALL you see and hear-we know it's bad and telling us over and over doesn't make anyone feel any better but I guess they get their "high" from this stuff since it is their job.

Feel more nervous because of the unexpected-at least with snow you can try to shovel out but heavy wind and rain is more bothersome. Plus we have the memory of that mess one year ago....

STAY SAFE EVERYONE-I hope we all make it through okay! :msp_scared: :confused2:
Yeah, I paid last year's little snow storm no mind before hand, and that was a big mistake. And since I watch no TV I have no idea what they are showing.

Barring direct physical damage here we'll probably make out OK, but this is not a typical storm by any means. Its tropical storm force winds stretch almost 1000mi. Hopefully it will not be as bad as it could be, but if things go wrong it could have a very big impact on a large region, including taking out critical infrastructure like oil refineries. And of course power could be out for a long time. So even if we don't take direct damage here life could get interesting for a while. Getting hysterical about these things is never useful, but this is a serious storm and anyone who takes it lightly is a fool.

Yeah, I paid last year's little snow storm no mind before hand, and that was a big mistake. And since I watch no TV I have no idea what they are showing.

Barring direct physical damage here we'll probably make out OK, but this is not a typical storm by any means. Its tropical storm force winds stretch almost 1000mi. Hopefully it will not be as bad as it could be, but if things go wrong it could have a very big impact on a large region, including taking out critical infrastructure like oil refineries. And of course power could be out for a long time. So even if we don't take direct damage here life could get interesting for a while. Getting hysterical about these things is never useful, but this is a serious storm and anyone who takes it lightly is a fool.

It depends what weather channel you watch-WFMZ local news says "4-8 inches of rain with high winds, the worst being later today until Tuesday morning". The Weather Channel which has people standing about 5 feet from every shoreline on the East Coast says "10" or more" but they usually aren't as accurate with our predictions for some reason. Let's hope that we get the lower amounts but we'll see-I think it's the wind that has me most uneasy but I think I have bad memories from last year's snowstorm on my mind. Most of my trees that got hammered last year in that got a good haircut from it, and I trimmed them back over the Summer but you never know...I guess it's human nature to think the worst....I always worry about my stovepipe toppling over but it is braced with two braces and has been up since 1989; again, the mind is a scary thing lol!!

These guys on the weather channel are really cheezy. Everything has a nickname and is the worst in history. I don't doubt it's a heck of a storm nor do I argue the fact but I think the way it's presented is heavily sensationalist. That's what the "news" has become and I'll bet in ten years we'll look back and say that all this was normal and what's on the news then is worse. I'll take the good old Walter Cronkite delivery anyday.

Lots of rain but little wind. The worst has yet to come. See how easy that was?! :msp_biggrin:

These guys on the weather channel are really cheezy. Everything has a nickname and is the worst in history. I don't doubt it's a heck of a storm nor do I argue the fact but I think the way it's presented is heavily sensationalist. That's what the "news" has become and I'll bet in ten years we'll look back and say that all this was normal and what's on the news then is worse. I'll take the good old Walter Cronkite delivery anyday.

Lots of rain but little wind. The worst has yet to come. See how easy that was?! :msp_biggrin:

You're right....do you also notice that the Weather Channel's predictions aren't very accurate for your area?

It has to be nasty. I don't think they are overhyping it at all. It's been blowing like crazy here in NW Georgia for three days now! And it got cold, heck got a little fire going now. We are WAY outside all these supposed to be hard hit areas. I've got tin off the roof of the shed right now. It's not raining so I'll wait until whenever the winds die down to fix it. Josh and I were going to fell a few trees this past saturday but I nixed that because of the wind.

I haven't heard the weather guys say it, but seems to me hot moist air moving real fast and hard, hitting cold air moving similar hard, perhaps even get some tornadoes out of this storm as well. I also wonder about the coastal nuke plants.

Latest posts

Back