Get your wood ready, they're calling this one "Frankenstorm".

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
29ps0uu.jpg
its starting here

I also wonder about the coastal nuke plants.
As well you should. Most don't even have backup generators for the cooling pumps like the ones that failed in Fukushima. If there are widespread prolonged power outages even the inland ones may be an issue, like the one 12mi from me.

Man, I would not want to be on Long Island or in Southern New Jersey right now. The central pressure is about as low as they've ever recorded previously.

Just drove back from the city where I went to get a generator and it is bad out there and the worst hasn't even arrived yet, not being one for media hype, this one appears to be as bad or worst than predicted, and we are not ready for 70-90 mph winds.

So far, in inland Delaware it's been a lot of wind and rain. The entire state coastline is under evacuation order (read "suggestion") and some of the lower areas near the coast are flooded. State of emergency is in effect.

Officially, the brunt of this is slated to arrive late tonight. We're optomistic, hoping the lights don't go out. The ol' sump pump is doing fine and the backup pump is in place, just in case. If the power goes we'll have a swimming pool down cellar but we'll be toasty warm up here. :)

Just took the nickel tour of the property... that wind roaring through the trees sounds like a freight train when it gusts. Seen some sticks and little branches laying about, nothing serious yet.

Ha! You nuts man! hahahahah I bet that was exciting!

The only thing like that I have done (on land) was climb on the roof two years ago after the tornado hit and cut small branches off the main log and then drag a tarp over the whole mess and get it nailed down. Thunder/lightning/big winds/heavy rain, etc while it was going on.

tons of rain already here in central PA. wind is stiffening....

I think the worst is past here...if it had been nighttime, it would've been the proverbial "Dark and Stormy Night"...and not much more.

Coast is still getting hammered, but the height of the surge in Long Island Sound was at low tide so it wasn't the very worse case scenario.

tons of rain already here in central PA. wind is stiffening....

We're going to get it shortly after dark...just when I don't want it. Winds have been picking up all day - it's going to be a long night. Lost power for a minute or so a little while ago. I can't see it staying on with what's out there now.

From the town east of me:
559488_10151199364644197_1157342190_n.jpg

Saw a FB friend refer to them as "house crushers" this morning...and I think that's a good term.

Hmmm...for looking like the worst is past, we're getting more and more brownouts here ('puters are on a UPS to help protect them).

It is terrible here, lights are flickering. Went out twice today to recover wood. The second time the plastic came off, wood got really wet.:msp_angry: Wife helped me the second time to recover it. What a scene that was!!! We both got soaked!! My wood was so nice and dry. This is a shame!!! Now will have to wait for some warmer days to dry it. Of course there wont be too many more of those.

Dalmation, looks like that house needs a bit of work. I used to be in the modular housing business and that house looks like it might be a factory built one. Any chance you know the owners or if it was a prefab? Looking at the damage it looks like it might not have been put together properly. The main shell of the house looks fine but the roof panels failed to do their job. We actually hit a highway overpass with one of our houses during delivery and the damage was minimal, just broke the tops off some of the roof rafters.

Up here in Ny it got worse just before dark, wind is blowing pretty good but I think we've had worse. I have the generator ready with extra gas, hopefully we won't need it.
Stay safe all!

I agree with cantoo that the modular doesn't look like it was put together properly. Shame either way though.

No rain here on the west edge of Ohio yet. The wind is pretty wicked but nowhere near what many of you are getting. Stay safe.

Latest posts

Back