Get your wood ready, they're calling this one "Frankenstorm".

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As well you should. Most don't even have backup generators for the cooling pumps like the ones that failed in Fukushima. If there are widespread prolonged power outages even the inland ones may be an issue, like the one 12mi from me.

Man, I would not want to be on Long Island or in Southern New Jersey right now. The central pressure is about as low as they've ever recorded previously.

Actually they all do. Primary coolant pumps are steam driven, secondarys are Electric and have a primary and secondary diesel generator, plus battery back up should off site power fail, and a redundant system run off of a dedicated diesel fire pump. In addition, on site fire protection assets and "Other" systems can be utilized for cooling. Site specifics are different, but the generic requirements for liscensing are the same.

The safest condition for any contingency is when the thing is operating at full tilt.
The operations guys have gamed every scenario likely and a bunch that aren't.
This isn't Japan. Indian point has issues, but thier Navy Nuke operations crew isn't one of 'em.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It is terrible here, lights are flickering. Went out twice today to recover wood. The second time the plastic came off, wood got really wet.:msp_angry: Wife helped me the second time to recover it. What a scene that was!!! We both got soaked!! My wood was so nice and dry. This is a shame!!! Now will have to wait for some warmer days to dry it. Of course there wont be too many more of those.

Don't sweat it -- rain is just surface moisture and goes away almost as fast as it comes. Back before dryers, folks used to hang their clothes outside in January...they'd freeze stiff as a board then loosen up as the ice evaporated away.

It's the water inside the wood that you need to season it to remove. That will get it down to your average humidity, which is usually high-teens / low 20s for most folks.

Putting it up on pallets to keep wood from wicking the ground moisture and dew is more important then a tarp over it.

Though it's nicer to bring in dry wood inside instead of rained on/snowed on wood.

Dalmation, looks like that house needs a bit of work. I used to be in the modular housing business and that house looks like it might be a factory built one. Any chance you know the owners or if it was a prefab?

Don't know...it was just in the TV News. I'd be surprised if it was stick built though, little starter homes like that around here are almost always prefab for the last 25 years or more.

dingeryote is right about the back up systems. I work off and on at Bruce Power and the back ups to the back ups are crazy. We have better health care on site than the local hospital and better/more fire departmentpersonnel and equipment. I was just part of a team that built a backup Control room named Fukushima, somewhere around 5 mil to build it so they could safely test the systems they have in place. They have some pretty big diesel generators jsut sitting there ready to go, and somewhere around 32,000 galoons of diesel to feed them.

wind has noticeably increased in the last hour or so....sucked the screen door open a few times. Had the dogs out for the last time tonight and got a little scare. Branch broke in one of the poplars and I thought I was a goner. Bear (the rottie at my side) didnt even flinch. The branch was about a half inch in diameter and two feet long. Sounded like 8"es when it snapped and thudded to the ground!

Just watch out that you aren't in an eye, like the cyclones we get in the southern hemisphere.

I've been through a decent cyclone and it is eerily still when the eye passes over then you get another good dose of wind etc etc. Have to be careful if you do go out that you can get back to safe cover.

Just read one of our news sites and Sandy is 3x larger at about 1500km across than TC Yasi that did huge damage to northern Qld a couple of years ago. And that was a big system.

Stay safe!

Lost power here at 1845. Had the generator running by 1900. Hard to tell from inside that there is a crazy storm going on outside. Not looking forward to the long night and possibly longer day ahead.

Good luck to you all!

Couldn't work because of the wind, quit midday (no rain, won't get much here). Already have one tree down, snapped 10' off the ground (well away from any houses, fences, or livestock).

Just took a trip out to see what killed the power. Had a top come out of a huge white pine out by the street, probably took out the primary.

Got the **** scared out of me trying to get back to shelter when the wind suddenly blasted thru. I won't do that again. Noticed I lost a bunch of trees, mostly conifers but nothing into any structures yet. Man I hate losing nice mature trees but it's better than losing a life.

We're in the thick of it now. Sit down, strap in and hold on!

New York City is getting absolutely hammered by the surge tide right now. One FDNY station had to call a mayday when they got trapped in their own firehouse by flash flooding; it's probably going to take a week to get power and subways working again in lower Manhattan (and that might be wildly optimistic).

It's nice here now, walked the dog, lost one junk tree that's across my driveway but where I can drive around it. I'll check the wood lot side tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just a little rain and wind here...maybe 30-35 MPH gusts...

Hoping that the rain is all we get...

Good luck to you guys further east...I'm still having nightmares from the hours I worked after the frontline winds that hit here came through back in June.

This site took several tries to load, but looks really really cool. A graphical representation of the winds over the US http://hint.fm/wind/

Yeah it's really cool looking and fascinating. Just not accurate with the 4 hour old data.
Darn if I would have thought about making wind an art project though.

Here's one that is closer to the Minuite, but boring. West virginia is about to catch hell.
NWS - National Mosaic Enhanced Radar Image: Full Resolution Loop

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Actually they all do. Primary coolant pumps are steam driven, secondarys are Electric and have a primary and secondary diesel generator, plus battery back up should off site power fail, and a redundant system run off of a dedicated diesel fire pump. In addition, on site fire protection assets and "Other" systems can be utilized for cooling. Site specifics are different, but the generic requirements for liscensing are the same.

The safest condition for any contingency is when the thing is operating at full tilt.
The operations guys have gamed every scenario likely and a bunch that aren't.
This isn't Japan. Indian point has issues, but thier Navy Nuke operations crew isn't one of 'em.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
That's certainly good to hear, although it's directly counter to several articles I've read which stated that many US plants do not have back up generators. But you can't believe everything you read!

That's certainly good to hear, although it's directly counter to several articles I've read which stated that many US plants do not have back up generators. But you can't believe everything you read!

The Anti's disinformation often gets repeated as fact by the less than impartial media.
All PWR abd BWR's have multiple backups and redundancys for safe shut down, or would not be Liscensed to operate period.
If a back up generator is down for main't it is a BIG deal, and if there isn't an operable redundant generator, the facility gets shut down, period.

10CFR will have everything that the media is too lazy to look up, and the anti's too dishonest to admit.

NRC: 10 CFR Appendix A to Part 50—General Design Criteria for Nuclear Power Plants

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

here's our local forecast for the next few hours:

tropical storm conditions including strong winds and heavy rain
48°
RealFeel® 31°

just woke up for the 3am turn on the sump pump run. damn float switch is broken. oh well still raining not much wind i think he worst is over now

Back