Get your wood ready, they're calling this one "Frankenstorm".

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Light is just starting to come up now. Nothing on any structures but will see the extent in a few once it's completely light out.

Still on gen power.

Had some eggs cooked on the wood stove this morning.

hope you guys are all ok, Sounds like it might have been a wild night.

Stay safe out there.

Steven

Sandy's path kept us on the fringe of all the major activity. Worst for us in Owego, NY was just before 2:00 AM. No damage here. Lights didn't even flicker. 84 year old neighbor lady lost a tree and already called and asked me if I could take it. No problem. More rain expected today (Tues) and tomorrow. Unless it unexpectedly doubles back we're in the clear for this storm.

Southern West Virginia, 'bout 2500 feet.

Monday just before dark
DSC03764.jpg

Tuesday 8AM
DSC03768.jpg

Southern West Virginia, 'bout 2500 feet.

Monday just before dark

Tuesday 8AM

hey cool! Ya I know bad storm but pretty I guess first winter pics!

Have an online friend lives upper part of your state, no contact for a couple days, guess she and hubby are snowed in no power.

One of Garden Goddess's sons lives in that blacked out flooded area in NYC, ditto no contact for two days now.

I have all utilities as this point. The wind has settled a little but it looks like after 10AM things are going to pick up again. So far this is the only damage on my place. Don't think my truck & trailer will be going anywhere for a couple days.:bang:

DSC03772.jpg

not much damage here 10 ish in of rain. couple bradford pears split, one at my bosses hoiuse hit his porch not biggie, lots of limbs down that's about it. periodic rain til 230

We got quite a bit of rain and some pretty crazy winds but still have power here. Lots in the county without power but we are good thus far. Lots of trees down though. My phone will start ringing as soon as the weather backs off.

I don't envy you guys getting the snow. Too early for that stuff.

Normally I don't mind if I lose power, but with all this rain my sump pump has been running quite regularly so I was pretty paranoid all night that it'd go out and start to flood the basement before I could get it started. I was up throughout the night checking lol. Gas is too expensive to run the gen without cause. Sleep is cheap

The Anti's disinformation often gets repeated as fact by the less than impartial media.
All PWR abd BWR's have multiple backups and redundancys for safe shut down, or would not be Liscensed to operate period.
If a back up generator is down for main't it is a BIG deal, and if there isn't an operable redundant generator, the facility gets shut down, period.

10CFR will have everything that the media is too lazy to look up, and the anti's too dishonest to admit.

NRC: 10 CFR Appendix A to Part 50—General Design Criteria for Nuclear Power Plants

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
Thanks for the link and I will read it, but I am most definitely an anti nuke, so you're not winning me over with that nonsense. Clearly the back ups and contingency plans are too vulnerable to the fallibility of man and the forces of nature, and the costs of the consequences way too high. And I say that from my engineering and technical background. The generators in Fukushima were worthless once the sea water flooded the power distribution in the basement (dumb) - there is always a common failure point no matter how many back ups you have.

Anyway, the Ported Plastic Poulan was screaming this morning. It was flawless. My neighbor and I cleared several downed ashes from our lane and the road, as well as a pine another neighbor lost and a large ash that fell on the pasture fence. Mostly the stuff on the road just got sectioned and I pushed it off with the loader. I'll cut it up when it stops raining. There's several broken power poles and a really big oak took out the line and a transformer pole down the road - the township was clearing that tree. I'm drying out by the stove and the generator is droning.

The generator is working well enough and it's so nice to have electric start and an actual muffler! I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting it - the voltage is a little high and the frequency is a little low. I started off with it at around 55Hz, and found out that the well pump was running just a bit too slow to get to the high level shut off! So I compromised and cranked it up some, so now it's at 58Hz and 262V, and I turned the high shut off pressure on the pump down a bit. I'm not sure the electronic voltage regulator is working entirely correctly - the cheap electrolytic capacitor in the end bell had exploded and I replaced that with a much better cap. It's definitely regulating but maybe to a little bit too high of a voltage. There is a trim on the circuit board, but I have no schematic and the board is potted. I think the trim is a stability adjustment not a voltage setting. Not a big deal and the old generator is also working. I may head out later and see if I can find any more gasoline.

This has been much easier for me than last year. My daughter is home with her roommate from college, and neighbors will no doubt be stopping by to warm up, charge phones and chat. It could be a lot worse.

My brother and I made it through the storm OK. He wrote yesterday to say they got a lot of rain, some wind but they're fine. They live near Norfolk.

Got up this morning thinking I'd be going to work. Good thing I called the company weather hotline first. There was no damage here, just some sticks and small branches in the yard. That happens every time we get wind around here. Yesterday, the trees in the woods were swaying. I thought some might break or blow over but they didn't. No power outage either. The lights flickered a couple times last night but the electric stayed on.

In the photo there's the pipe I ran out the basement steps window for the backup sump pump. Never did need it. I was going outside last night every hour or so, watching the regular pump discharge pipe. It didn't even run continuously. The ditch alongside the property came close to overflowing but the rain wasn't coming down fast enough to overwhelm it.

Right now it's cloudy with a little sprinkle of rain now and then. Sky is clearing to the east.

The folks closer to the bay didn't fare as well. A lot of flooding down that way, many roads were closed. Looks like much of the dune line Downstate has been washed away. Here inland we were blessed. Just some wind and rain.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Don't sweat it -- rain is just surface moisture and goes away almost as fast as it comes. Back before dryers, folks used to hang their clothes outside in January...they'd freeze stiff as a board then loosen up as the ice evaporated away.

It's the water inside the wood that you need to season it to remove. That will get it down to your average humidity, which is usually high-teens / low 20s for most folks.

Putting it up on pallets to keep wood from wicking the ground moisture and dew is more important then a tarp over it.

Though it's nicer to bring in dry wood inside instead of rained on/snowed on wood.

Thank you for your support in time of mental crisis. I try to always make sure my wood is dry and covered by the beginning of october. I have about 8 cord split and stacked on pallets. This is the first time when all of the cover blew off at one time and got heavily rained on. I went into a state a panic. A lot of blood and sweat invested and almost tears.

Lost all my covers that where clear plastic. Tore them to shreds. Think I will be going back to the brown tarps. My stacks are three splits deep. It will take awhile for them to dry out. Good thing I have plenty thats under tarps or roofing rubber.

Lost all my covers that where clear plastic. Tore them to shreds. Think I will be going back to the brown tarps. My stacks are three splits deep. It will take awhile for them to dry out. Good thing I have plenty thats under tarps or roofing rubber.

Damn, I got a bunch of that from home depot, something like 4mil thick and was going to try it on the top. How did you have it attached? I was thinking staple gun but my stack runs north/south so it's getting broadsided with wind.

Damn, I got a bunch of that from home depot, something like 4mil thick and was going to try it on the top. How did you have it attached? I was thinking staple gun but my stack runs north/south so it's getting broadsided with wind.

I've found that plastic sheeting rots in the sunlight. Need something more durable, or cheaper. I get lumber tarps from a building supply free, or roofing tin that's no good for roofs anymore.

Back