Getting into a used 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, yup the cyllinders coming off next, I tried cleaning as much as I could with it on, my fingers are crossed.

id tear it down and atleast knock the carbon out of it then casting lines in the intake. then since i had dremeal and carbid burr in hand i myswell make the port wider then make the exhaust match heck then bump upper transfers to intake and blend the lowers to floors.

then heck shell pull a longer bar id say 32" with ease. it wouldnt need a pop up for that.. keep it easy and simple leave the popups to pros

I agree for the most part, but how does a pro become a pro? For me taking a piston into work and putting it in the lathe during my lunchbrake is pretty simple. Getting all of your transfers straight, even and smoothe, not so easy. If it does need a new piston thats what I will do, regardless it's getting ported after I get it running:cheers:

update

I've been waiting on a few parts for the saw, and painting a few things. I'm ready to start putting it back together tonight, minus the p/c...still waiting on the piston. The origional was worn, so I'm putting a popup in a new one. I wish I had a good origional piston to compare it to the popup as I have never ran a stock 046/460 before. I will be muff modding and porting it after I break it in, then will be experimenting with air filter set ups.
This will probably be a month or two from now anyway.:cheers:

attachment.php

ok update time
I've been cleaning and taking peices off slowly. So far so good, everything looks good. I havn't pulled the flywheel or ignition yet, is there any trick to it or is it going to come off easy? I'm not looking forward to it really, but I'd like to see it clean.

Everythings coming out of the ultrasound pretty good though. Me and a good member swapped handles so no more flippy cap:)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
I think that carb may be a little big for your 046...:stupid:

Getting parts back together. This is my favorite part. Still waiting on the backordered piston...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've got to take a break now. But I'm going to assemble it without the piston to see how the max flow filters gonna work. I have a feeling I'm not going to like the asthetics, but we'll see.

Great work. What are you using for paint? I have an 044 I just rebuilt that I would like to look that good and old 045av I would like to give the true restoration to. I have done the mechanical end but not the body work on one yet.

Great work. What are you using for paint? I have an 044 I just rebuilt that I would like to look that good and old 045av I would like to give the true restoration to. I have done the mechanical end but not the body work on one yet.

I used a epoxy gloss white paint from VHT. It has great durability and chemical resistance after it has cured for about a month or two, it really takes a while, which is a pain. On future restorations I'm going to try the ford grey paint from tractor supply. For your 045 top handle I would suggest using a factory hemi orange from mopar, that's what I use on my 056's and side by side with origionals it is almost indistinguishable, very durable too.

nice looking project

Nice How did you get the pastic so clean? Is the plastic painted?

What kind of paint did you use?

I used a epoxy gloss white paint from VHT. It has great durability and chemical resistance after it has cured for about a month or two, it really takes a while, which is a pain. On future restorations I'm going to try the ford grey paint from tractor supply. For your 045 top handle I would suggest using a factory hemi orange from mopar, that's what I use on my 056's and side by side with origionals it is almost indistinguishable, very durable too.

Thanks for the information. Very nice work.

I'm really not feeling the maxflow setup. It's just too gaudy and really crappy fitting. I may send it back and get the stock setup, but I'm curious how much benefit it really is on a modified saw.

attachment.php

attachment.php

quistions fore the guys,who have put a 064piston in 046

046 OEM left,Episan 064 on the right,look at those windows:msp_love:

attachment.php

064 piston: from center off rod to the top, I measured 0,45 mm/0,0177 in longer than 046 piston

064 piston:from center off rod to bottom, I measured 2,00 mm/0,0787 in longer skirt than 046 piston

attachment.php

Weight off pistons:

046 OEM=96 gram :-(

064 Episan=85 gram :)

attachment.php

Quistion:how to get the best result?
1: gasketles,bigger popup,no milling off jug?
2:what is the max height off popup without hitting the roof/decomp/plug?
3:milling off jug?
4:what else to know?:confused2:

A ported 046/460 is a good saw in the woods. Put a pop-up 064 piston in it and you'll really have a torque monster that can run a long bar.

View attachment 171170View attachment 171171View attachment 171172

Last edited:
064 piston: from center off rod to the top, I measured 0,45 mm/0,0177 in longer than 046 piston
To me, it's begging for a 0.030" pop-up, if you have the ability to do a pop-up. Otherwise, you'll have to make an extra-thick base gasket to set squish.

How does the width of the skirt compare ? In one of your pics, the OEM skirt looks to be 1 or 2 mm wider ?

is the saw running??did you put a 064 piston in that baby??

I finally got the piston about a couple weeks ago, but have had very little time to work on it working 60 hr weeks for a little bit.

I got done running most of the numbers the other day. I made a epoxy mold of the combustion chamber because it was offset about a quarter inch twords the spark plug hole in the cyllinder and has the shape of a half moon. I will post pics when I can.

Off the epoxy mold i measured the diameter of the combustion chamber to find the center of the popup to be milled. Since it is off center I cannot really turn it on the lathe easily so my buddy will have to do it on his vertical cnc. I have access at work to 20 very large horizontal boring mills, 2 lathes, and 2 manual bridgports with no rotary tables, and none will really work as good as his cnc for this particular one.

What I found is that the 064 piston measures .059" taller than the 046 from the center of the wrist pin. If I cut a .043 popup then the distance from the upper ring land to the crown will be .100. I have not figured anything with the squish to figure into machining adjustments yet, that's next.

The skirts seem to be a couple mm wider, but, the ring locating pins still seem to be close to the same place, so we'll have to see about taking the ports any wider.
The bottoms of the skirts also will need to be shaved a bit for case clearance it looks like.

I'm really exited to finish this project, it's been draggin on for quite some time.

Does a .043 popup sound excessive for a working/play saw? I can allways take a little more off the top easilly once its the popup is actually cut.

To me, it's begging for a 0.030" pop-up, if you have the ability to do a pop-up. Otherwise, you'll have to make an extra-thick base gasket to set squish.

How does the width of the skirt compare ? In one of your pics, the OEM skirt looks to be 1 or 2 mm wider ?

thanks mtngun...

OEM skirt is 2,5 mm ap wider than episan

no problem by making a popup(my buddy)

What I found is that the 064 piston measures .059" taller than the 046 from the center of the wrist pin. If I cut a .043 popup then the distance from the upper ring land to the crown will be .100.

Thats odd.... your measurement from center to top,is 0,413 in/1,04 mm higher than my 064 piston?? that don´t make sense:confused:

is it because its a usa/euro version??

Latest posts

Back