Getting into a used 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sound quality just sucks, along with other saws running...
Any leaner on that saw and bad things will happen, we set it pretty good that day.
It truely isn't a race saw and I'd rather it last longer than cut a hair faster anyway.

Started porting the cyllinder tonight. My compressor took a dump on me before i could finish, a few things need evened out and made symmetrical.

The piston had a few aluminum micro dingleberries on the crown when I disassembled it, so it's gonna need race gas I suppose.

That thing will be Nasty on Some Sunoco 104 Blue Ha Ha!!!!! heck the 260GT gold is 97,,,, with some Klotz R50 @ 32:1 Heck Yeah!!!!!

You may want to put a new decomp init for cold starts,,,, You'll be breaking starter pawls LOLOLOL!!!!

Yes some signs of Detonation are definitely present,,, It seems we had this discussion,,, JMHO Pump gas is gonna break it!!!

That saw freakin rocks dude,, JJ was right,, it's got some BALLS!!!!:blob2::blob2::blob2:

Last edited:
Great work. Just a question, do you weld the popup onto the piston? I have always wondered that. I have never done a mod or popup before due to that I don't own a lathe but curiosity has me thinking I might need to get one.

Great work. Just a question, do you weld the popup onto the piston? I have always wondered that. I have never done a mod or popup before due to that I don't own a lathe but curiosity has me thinking I might need to get one.

Thanks, I have read about welding on the piston tops on here, but most of the time for a popup people turn down the top of the stock piston, leaving the popup, and then fallow that up with taking the same amount of material off of the base of the jug to even it out.
This popup was special because the piston I used had nearly all the same specs as the 046 piston, but was .050 taller or so. So all I had to do was cut down the top of it in the shape of the combustion chamber. Since the piston was now the same height, not including the popup, I didn't have to turn the jug base down.

Yes some signs of Detonation are definitely present,,, It seems we had this discussion,,, JMHO Pump gas is gonna break it!!!

That saw freakin rocks dude,, JJ was right,, it's got some BALLS!!!!:blob2::blob2::blob2:

Ya your right, I'm running it on cam2 at 40:1, yes - definately a BIG thanks to JJ for the suggestion! It was a good challenge.

Great thread i've enjoyed reading through it and looking at all the pics. I'm curious to know what chain you are running on it?

Thanks, I'm just running a stihl full comp chain, square ground-round filed, I think, lol. My hand sharpening skills aren't awesome, but they get me by.

gret saw

It´s no critic!!!:msp_tongue: I´m think you have made a very badA$$ saw,that´s for sure!! And I love the detailed thread,it made me go crazy:angry::angry: :laugh:
My trigger finger is mad.... I want so send my 046 away ad put some rocket juice in it LOL...... ohh wait.....I have send it away:msp_razz:

my saw has a squish on 1,3mm/0,051" with gasket and compression was 170psi,crazy.....

[/QUOTE]Thanks, I'm just running a stihl full comp chain, square ground-round filed, I think, lol. My hand sharpening skills aren't awesome, but they get me by.[/QUOTE]

For that hard wood i'd replace the full comp for a semi skip see how you go, i had to change with the hard wood in my new area, just a thought.

Back