Getting paid for your wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
First off, thanks to everyone that has posted here, I have gotten a lot of helpful hints of the trade, and I apreciate everyone and their words of wisdom.
Now, for my first question.
When you deliver firewood, do you demand payment before you unload the wood? I had a woman yesterday that waited until I dumped the wood, then asked me to stack all 4 ricks. My add says free delivery, not stacking as well. I told her that delivery did not include stacking. She said she would not pay until it was stacked. Now I had a choice, either stack it and get my cash, or load it back up. So I stacked it.
Then after I was all done, she told me that she was 50 bucks short of the 200. Said that was all she was going to pay. Figured that was close enough. I offered to call the sheriffs office, but she said, "Hey, if you dont like it, just load your wood back up and get out of here."
Needless to say, I took the cash and thought all the way home about returning that night with the truck and give her a lawn job. I cooled off by the time I got home. My wife figures that I ought to demand payment before anything is offloaded, but some time ago when I told some folks that, they looked a little shifty, they were very offended.
What all do you guys do?

Any self respecting person will understand if you ask to be paid first. You don't go to McDonalds, get your food, eat, then pay, Do ya? Just explain to people when they order, do to a few bad apples, they must pay when the truck arives. before any wood comes off the truck.

Before I dump I write them out an invoice and ask how they are going to pay (cash,check,credit card). At that point they usually hand over the cash or write out a check so I can complete the invoice and give them their copy. I then ask them where exactly they want the wood dumped so it is clear that this is a dump and leave deal.

I would have told her OK, took the $150 then loaded two ricks back up and gave her a lawn job on the way out!!!

I would have told her OK, took the $150 then loaded two ricks back up and gave her a lawn job on the way out!!!

That's sort of what I was thinking (well without the lawn job). Take the money, then load up the 1/4 of the wood she didn't pay for, and drive happy.

Cash up front before I unload. I have always done it that way and everyone that I usually deal with knows this.

It is easier for me that way 'cause if I ever hear some of what she was dishing out I know that I would load the wood right back up and be on my way.

I had a similar situation with a different service. The guy told me I could remove the leaf pile or he would call the BBB. I told him go ahead and call but then told him pay me for what I did because I didn't have time to argue with the BBB over $40 bucks. I told him my time was WAY to important to be bothered with this. Another cheap BMW driving yuppie screwing a hard working guy. Heard from other people this guy pulls this crap all the time. I'm not through with him. We'll see how his BMW goes through a snow bank:clap:

I'd of loaded the wood back on my truck, by the time you were part done, she would have found that extra 50, if not, too bad, I think you got the shaft on that deal.

Ditto Avalancher. Just say no to these kind of deadbeats.

When you get the call for wood ( hard earned ), just ask how they would like to pay, and make it clear in a professional way that the wood will be paid by cash or check before it is unloaded.

And, BTW, you can report her to the BBB, or local police or local paper (can't use her name however). Do a G-2, find out where she works or shops, or who she knows. Get the word out. She did steal your money, and probably did this before.

Another thought: send her a bill, Registered Mail with return receipt for the $50. shorted. "Request for payment within 3 working days. " Worth the few dollars to the P.O. . :chainsaw:

Good luck, you work too hard for that wood. Don't let it happen again.

Another cheap BMW driving yuppie screwing a hard working guy.
Hey I take offense to that. I drive a BMW 330I. You should see the looks when I go to collect or talk to a person after the job is done. Most people can't believe that their tree guy/wood guy/skid steer guy/general laborer guy drives a BMW. I very rarely go bid a job driving this car.

Now back on topic. I only get paid by about 25% of my customers when I deliver the wood. I usually deliver and nobody is home. I just leave an invoice and they mail me a check. I might get stiffed once a year. Usually a phone call and they pay. People around here have been screwed by wood guys a lot. When they see the stack of wood I give them they are very happy and pay quick. They want a person they can trust just as much as you want a customer you can trust to pay you. I have had to "repo" wood before. If I have any trouble getting my money I put them on the preferred customer list. Prefer not to do business with. In your case as soon as she said she wanted it stacked or she wasn't paying I would have said not a problem. I would have stack it on my truck and left. You would have shocked the hell out of her. She would have said wait I'll take it. Then you get to say sorry I don't do business like that good luck with who ever you find. You can kill people like that with being real nice. Here is the kicker. I bet you a 12pack she calls you back for more.

Scott

Another thought: send her a bill, Registered Mail with return receipt for the $50. shorted. "Request for payment within 3 working days. " Worth the few dollars to the P.O. . :chainsaw:

Good luck, you work too hard for that wood. Don't let it happen again.

I agree SEND HER A BILL!!!!! you earned the money now get all of it.

Last edited:
So far, so good.

I collect after the load is dumped. No problems yet.
If someone tried that on me, I would have loaded it back up.
Would not take long as I would be motivated (pissed).:angry2:

-Pat

I would have loaded up the truck, and never done business with her ever again. Forget about the late nite visit- with your luck the local law enforcement will be nearby taking a donut break:). I like the "Invoice" idea-it gives you a buffer period of time to feel out if their trying to screw you over. And CASH is king, while checks bounce like spaldines! I would send her a bill, minus her "deposit", and take her to the local civil court. Even if you don't follow up on it, the court notice to appear might give her enough aggravation to make you happy:greenchainsaw: .

"Official" Bill

Just out of curiosity, what good would it do to send her a bill?
Just wondering. :chainsaw:

The sent bill is a recorded statement of due monies. The legal way is Registered Mail, Return Receipt ( cost about $4.00); used similar to a court notice/summons handed to a defendant ( no, I'm not an attorney). You get bills that always say "due in XXX days", or interest if not. Nobody reads the fine print at the bottom of your bills, but it is a legal notice and contract to pay.
Now, she could ignore the "offical" bill for the unpaid $50., but if avalancher ever wants to take it further, like civil court, or BBB, etc..., it is a valid record of sent notice. Besides, it will make him feel better professionally, after the royal screwing and not to do a lawn wheelie or worse ( think 9mm)that would attract the badges.
In cases of contract violation the Registered Mail approach is the most common; we used it in my past corporate life ( now over :censored: ).

My bill is in the mail...............:greenchainsaw:

I would've loaded every stick back up and it took to the next customer on my list. Then I woulda made calls to my competition and told them the story including her name, number and address. It wouldn't have been easy for her to get firewood after I was done.
First time buyers I try to get my money before I dump the wood but have never had anyone pull something like that. Yet anyway

Take your hit and learn from it.
I am always very patiant and understanding with my customers....But
opportunists like this "pig" just need a firm few words back and they will fold.
If you don't know the person or their not a referal...CASH UP.
On apositive note, Its good to be back at Arborsite...Been BUSY!!!
Merry Christmas and remember...Tree Guys are Above Everybody.:givebeer:

i would do as logbutcher says--SHE NEEDS TO PAY--and personally--id push it all the way--she needs a good hard lesson---shes gotten away with this more than once apparently-----these are the type i like to burn--really good---

Latest posts

Back