Getting paid for your wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would do as logbutcher says--SHE NEEDS TO PAY--and personally--id push it all the way--she needs a good hard lesson---shes gotten away with this more than once apparently-----these are the type i like to burn--really good---

Just a partial "OLE !" oly :clap: .
It's up to him, but the recommendation is to send the registered invoice, not that "she needs to pay." Pushing things like that can eat you up. It's like tactics school : " Choose the hills to die on with care.." for your people and yourself. Don't burn anyone ( Gramma Czar speaks with forked tongue :confused: )
Just don't deal with the type again, then let it go as a lesson. Another example: write the worst vulgar letter to her......then put it away in a drawer. Don't send it.
Read it much later and LYFAO.:censored:

I think it might be wise to get paid first.

But if this incident really made you livid and if you know the customer's full name, telephone number, and full address you could really really jerk her chain.

It isn't that hard to find their SSN for a fee and then you could issue her a 1099 for a $50 bad debt and then report her to the credit agencies.

Delivered to a guy today who bought from me last year, Got the logs (2 year seasoned oak) of the van and under his tarp before he decided he wanted to cancel his order, he'd been up the road to a new guy who was selling what he thought was more for less money, of course took a run up for a look and a laugh a very small trailer load of logs green as grass, the only seasoning they get is the 30 minutes between felling splitting and loading, looked like a mix of oak,elm,sycamore & birch only wish I could be a fly on the wall when he tries burning them.

I've only had a problem one time. I unloaded the wood, driveway dump, got the check and left. Two days later the customer phoned and claimed I had shorted him. He'd stacked the wood, one full chord, and claimed it didn't measure out. I went to his house, looked at his stack, measured it, handed him back his check and threw the wood back into my truck.
He'd stacked it so tight and precisely that it must have taken him all night. He put that stack of wood together like a jigsaw puzzle. It was four inches short of being a full 4X4X8...couple of inches on each side.
He wanted me to knock off fifty dollars ! All the time he was jabbering I kept throwing wood in my truck. He came down to thirty, then twenty, then ten...and I kept throwing wood.
He was still jabbering when I pulled out. I went about two miles to another customer, unloaded, got the check, and didn't hear from them til the next year when they ordered again.
Most firewood people I know thrown on a few extra pieces just to make up for any percieved shortage. I do. And I know my chords are full measue.
Too many people figure firewood sellers are a bunch of knuckle-dragging neanderthal types that they can take advantage of. I called every firewood dealer I knew and told them about my problem customer. Four of them had dealt with him before...and never again after that.

I've only had a problem one time. Most firewood people I know thrown on a few extra pieces just to make up for any percieved shortage. I do. And I know my chords are full measue.
Too many people figure firewood sellers are a bunch of knuckle-dragging neanderthal types that they can take advantage of.

Maybe in California Bob, not here, or anywhere nearby on the Right coast. Near everyone in Maine has had some dealing with trees and firewood. Most know-not "figure"- that processing firewood from stump or logs is a grunt.
Sounds like a fat chip on a shoulder about customers that you shouldn't be dealing with at all. It's business, not love. Well, maybe in California..........:dizzy: :heart: :heart:

Maybe in California Bob, not here, or anywhere nearby on the Right coast. Near everyone in Maine has had some dealing with trees and firewood. Most know-not "figure"- that processing firewood from stump or logs is a grunt.
Sounds like a fat chip on a shoulder about customers that you shouldn't be dealing with at all. It's business, not love. Well, maybe in California..........:dizzy: :heart: :heart:

LOL...Send some of those level-headed Maine people out here. We could use a few of them.
And no, no real chip on my shoulder. Just the knowledge that some people equate occupation with social position and treat people accordingly. I don't think California has a lock on this although it seems to be more common out here. Lots of nouveau-riche types.
I derive most of my income from logging and ranching. I tend to resent people who figure that if I have sawdust on clothes or cow poop on my boots that I have a room temperature IQ and they can take advantage of me.
There really aren't that many of them but they sure leave an impression .

By the time I start selling firewood I am woolly from deer season
and when I get there to the job just have the look of someone
you don't want to screw never been a problem for me:laugh:

:chainsaw:
I collect after the load is dumped. No problems yet.
If someone tried that on me, I would have loaded it back up.
Would not take long as I would be motivated (pissed).:angry2:

-Pat
:chainsaw:
Yup and agree with most here. I live on a small rock so stiffing your firewood providers isn't a really great idea to start with. Usually we add 25$ to stack it and turn it down if its 'carry it down the stairs and over the patio to the side of the dog house' type bs., sorry 'bout yer luck matey, ya still want this here load? So if they want it stacked it is agreed upon before we get there that its fair access (back up to the woodshed etc) and that is what they want, make your terms very clear, this avoids dealing with many idiots. In the instance of the OP I think I'd have taken the money then loaded the value of the remainder up right quick and piddled off if this 'person' was not a friend or valued customer, never to return as well as let my fellow choppers know about the welsher and to avoid her/him in the future, surprising how effective freezin' your nards off in the middle of winter modify abhorrent behavior ;) . Because I do live in a small place I don't usually worry if the customer is a buck or two short, they'll pay when they have it, it doesn't bother me unless its ridiculous (like not even covering expenses and so forth). Selling and delivering does take a bit of tact at times but I personally have no problem with saying 'BITE ME' and loading up the wood if I get po'd, no lack of customers for an honest hard workin' sort imho.
My evening blather :D grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!:chainsaw:

:cheers:

Serge

Latest posts

Back