Getting ready for school...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackbeard76

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
I just love this site and decided it was time to become a member. I live in central Mass. and this fall I will be attending the Stockbridge school to become an Arborist. Now before you dismiss me as some snot nose kid just know that I'll be 30 in September. I currently work as a butcher and i'm not all that happy doing that. Last year i had a pine tree get struck by lightning and that gave me an excuse being to buy a saw. I bought a stihl 290 and went to wok on that pine. I realized that I was happy with a saw in my hands and covered in wood chips. That got me thinking could I make a career out of this? I found the Stockbridge school and applied.
OK enough on the back story. Here come the questions.
1) Have any of you guys graduated from Stockbridge?
2) Being a bigger fellow 5'11 and 265 will I ever be a decent climber or should I stick to a bucket and ground work?
3) Looking to get a bigger saw at some point and some suggestions would be helpful. I am partial to stihl.
Thanks in advance.

Great link Fireaxman...

Here's Bob up a Lophostemon suaveolens Giant in Northern NSW ("King Suavy" as it is fondly nick named) yesterday all 285++ pounds of him... (Bob's in his 60's!!)

Last edited:
Blackbeard76 said:
I currently work as a butcher and i'm not all that happy doing that.

Congratulations for recognising the difference, many continue their trade on trees. :laugh:

Welcome to the site that offers not only a stack of information but also entertainment.

Feel free to use the Search button toward the top of the page in the green band to try and locate information. There's tons of it.

Once you go to college keep us informed and even quizz us, it's good to stay fresh.

I'm a bigger guy too and I get it done. You'll never regret knowing the ins and outs of the climbing and rigging areas of this job ... it'll help in a bucket to.

With regard to the college I cant really help but I knew there were alternatives to the ISA. I had a look on the net and cant see any climbing, rigging, type stuff.

http://www.umass.edu/stockbridge/arboriculture/courses.html

I did see the amount you need to shell out so you certainly want to make sure it's the way to go.

Welcome to the Biz. Hope to see you at a Mass Arborists' meeting or two. I am a Stockbridge guy (didn't graduate from there, transferred to Essex Aggie)
As far as advice goes: look into all the possible scholarship opps. they are fairly easy to get because the class sizes are so small. You will probably be one of about 25 who graduates from your class. First semester Botany and Soils will kick your a$$, so pay attention. You will find that most students at Stockbridge are older students (I was too), which makes for a cool learning environment. There is a Stockbridge fraternity, it is not a traditional frat like you see in the movies, check it out. Good luck, that pioneer valley gets awfully cold and dark in winter.......................good thing UMASS is ranked #7 party school in the nation!!!!!!

Thanks for the info guys. I just get weird looks from folks wife included when I tell them I'm going to be climbing trees for a living. I have an aerial techniques class this first semester. Should be interesting. Plant id is going to be a tough one but such is life. Anyways thanks guys.

Blackbeard76 said:
Hi,
I just love this site and decided it was time to become a member. I live in central Mass. and this fall I will be attending the Stockbridge school to become an Arborist. Now before you dismiss me as some snot nose kid just know that I'll be 30 in September. I currently work as a butcher and i'm not all that happy doing that. Last year i had a pine tree get struck by lightning and that gave me an excuse being to buy a saw. I bought a stihl 290 and went to wok on that pine. I realized that I was happy with a saw in my hands and covered in wood chips. That got me thinking could I make a career out of this? I found the Stockbridge school and applied.
OK enough on the back story. Here come the questions.
1) Have any of you guys graduated from Stockbridge?
2) Being a bigger fellow 5'11 and 265 will I ever be a decent climber or should I stick to a bucket and ground work?
3) Looking to get a bigger saw at some point and some suggestions would be helpful. I am partial to stihl.
Thanks in advance.
ayuh stockie here, it rocks plain and simple, if your on the meal plan you will drop the weight plus you will be hustling around. i say learn to climb, techniques now are not as upper body as they once were, achy elbows anyone? plus if you dont know you cant teach it or recognize a hazard, forget da saw get your mind on stk guys get overwhelmed easy, um cuz them booklearning is hard any way good luck and use us stockie alums as a resource btdt j

theres a lot of big guys in the UK,And that includes me and you will shed pounds going up and down them old trees,go for it .Good luck and let us all hear how you get on. :cool:

When you're done with college, what do you think of this for a company name...

Tree Care By Butch

Just ribbin' you.

Welcome.

started this week...

Ok guys started this week. Other than the hour and twenty minute commute one way things are going well. Kinda weird being in a classroom after such a long time. Had plant id, soils botany and aboriculture classes so far. First climbing class is tuesday.(Can't wait) Botany and soils is going to be tough. Also plant id will be no picnic. Question for the board. Do you guys have a solid grasp of botany and soils? If so how often do you use it? Anyways sides the commute I love it. BTW also got a name for my company years in the future. Jotan Tree Care.

Blackbeard76 said:
Ok guys started this week. Other than the hour and twenty minute commute one way things are going well. Kinda weird being in a classroom after such a long time. Had plant id, soils botany and aboriculture classes so far. First climbing class is tuesday.(Can't wait) Botany and soils is going to be tough. Also plant id will be no picnic. Question for the board. Do you guys have a solid grasp of botany and soils? If so how often do you use it? Anyways sides the commute I love it. BTW also got a name for my company years in the future. Jotan Tree Care.
yes little brother you are going 4.0, heres how you are going to do it, first and foremost,front row seat , get it and keep it that way the back is for people to hide and have side bs games. second tape each lecture take notes as well but record the lecture, third listen to them on each commute and presto 4.0 ... wel maybe...... plant id brutal! flashcards and sheeer drilling and memorization is key good luck j

Botany and Soils are the foundation for everything!! (who's teaching them??)

Plant ID is a pain in the a$$, just make sure you go to every one, get samples if you can, ace every quiz (not as hard as it sounds).

WTF is a Jotan??

I use botany and soil science every day in the field. wish I'd learned more in school.

great tip on recording--use that commute! If you get tired of lectures, check this out-- http://secure.isa-arbor.com/store/Arborists-Certification-Study-Guide-Audio-CD-Set--P7C8.aspx

I never knew the entire study guide was on an audio cd--and half the price of the book! Also, if you are a full-time student, ISA membership is only $25. You get $10 back in discount on the cd's alone. How can you pass that up?

i think plant i.d. is not hard but then i learned latin early, and visit bot gdns in my spare time. practice using the keys--opposite/alternate and away you go!

Blackbeard76 said:
jotan is a norse giant. Susan Han teaches botany,Deb Picking teaches soils.

New staff. I'm not surprised, it has been ten years..........................

Cool name, My Great Grandma was Norwegian (straight off of the boat)

How was the climb today???

No climbing today. Knots and saftey stuff. Going to learn the following knots:Taut-line or blake hitch figure eight,bowline,bowline on a bight,throw knot,butt hinge, prussik hitch and prussik loop,clove hitch, running bowline rope com a long,sheet bend and false crotch. Ok does anyone know of a website where I can bone up these knots. Got my length of rope and I am startin to practice. Thanks in advance.

Back