getting someone to eye splice my Blue Moon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rural tree work is a different story. I work in Seattle and after a hard first year made $25.00an hr. I had no experience just the desire to work extremely hard and learn. All my gear is up date and in good working condition. My coworkers are skilled and certified. I can't relate at all with your statment.
Plas's posts seems more focused on attaining gear then knowledge. It just my opinion but I don't think you should learn to climb via the internet and weekends with your buddy.

I am not in the sticks. I might be exagerating but only a little. I would say you are pretty lucky.

Plas -- back to your OP....

You have two reasonable options IMO. First is buy a second rope already spliced. Even if you can find someone willing to take on the liability of splicing a used rope for life support, by the time you pay shipping 2 ways and the splicing, you're probably gonna be most of the way to a new rope. Especially with your options for free shipping from some companies. Plus this way you'll have a backup.

2nd option is to learn to splice yourself. This will be better in the long term as you can make your own e2e's, fix old ropes, turn old ropes into other things, etc. However, those tubular push fids from samson are a real pain on tight double braids like your climbing ropes, don't waste your money. Also, plan on your first splice or two on any new type of rope being practice splices.

Rural tree work is a different story. I work in Seattle and after a hard first year made $25.00an hr. I had no experience just the desire to work extremely hard and learn. All my gear is up date and in good working condition. My coworkers are skilled and certified. I can't relate at all with your statment.
Plas's posts seems more focused on attaining gear then knowledge. It just my opinion but I don't think you should learn to climb via the internet and weekends with your buddy.

Weekend buddy climbs are my favorite though :( Guess I can't do that anymore.....:cry:

You have two reasonable options IMO. First is buy a second rope already spliced. Even if you can find someone willing to take on the liability of splicing a used rope for life support, by the time you pay shipping 2 ways and the splicing, you're probably gonna be most of the way to a new rope. Especially with your options for free shipping from some companies. Plus this way you'll have a backup.

2nd option is to learn to splice yourself. This will be better in the long term as you can make your own e2e's, fix old ropes, turn old ropes into other things, etc. However, those tubular push fids from samson are a real pain on tight double braids like your climbing ropes, don't waste your money. Also, plan on your first splice or two on any new type of rope being practice splices.

Yup! All true...but the tubular fids are great for single braid ropes, and the real value of the kit from Samson is the splicing book.

Without the tubular fids, you must measure and guess how long a "fid length" is to properly do a splice, whereas the tubular fids are marked with lines for full fid length and 1/2 fid length, for each size of fid that corresponds to the size of the rope being spliced. It is impossible to do a proper splice in double braid and 16 strand without paying close attention to the "fid lengths" specified in the instructions.

Don't think of them as useful for inserting the splice, think of them as overpriced measuring sticks. Of course, you could always multiply rope diameter x 22, then get out your tape measure!

Here's your best advice.Call wespur order a spliced half inch arbor master climbing line. Shippings free. This job is totally gear dependent why take the risk.

Here's your best advice.Call wespur order a spliced half inch arbor master climbing line. Shippings free. This job is totally gear dependent why take the risk.

'cause learning to splice is not any harder than learning to tie knots. And to do this job, you MUST learn to tie knots; so why not learn splicing, too?

'cause learning to splice is not any harder than learning to tie knots. And to do this job, you MUST learn to tie knots; so why not learn splicing, too?

I don't use a spliced eye on my climbing lines but what you said makes good sense. It might be a little tricky and you might mess up once or twice but its good to know.

A weekend warrior does not need to know how to splice lines.He's got enough to learn as it is.

Yup! All true...but the tubular fids are great for single braid ropes, and the real value of the kit from Samson is the splicing book.

Without the tubular fids, you must measure and guess how long a "fid length" is to properly do a splice, whereas the tubular fids are marked with lines for full fid length and 1/2 fid length, for each size of fid that corresponds to the size of the rope being spliced. It is impossible to do a proper splice in double braid and 16 strand without paying close attention to the "fid lengths" specified in the instructions.

Don't think of them as useful for inserting the splice, think of them as overpriced measuring sticks. Of course, you could always multiply rope diameter x 22, then get out your tape measure!

I'm still annoyed that I bought that Samson kit way back when...

Standard fid lengths are easy enough to look up online. Here they are on Samson's website. I've found them elsewhere too, including up to 4" diameter. Chances are you are really going to splice one or two diameters. If you don't want to use a tape measure, cut a couple sticks and make the mark for the short fid section.

As for the instruction book, I think you're better off looking up the specific instructions for your rope on the manufacturer's website. If you want to splice tachyon (lava) go to NE's site and download the specific instructions. All for free.

The tubular fids work with single braid ropes alright, but some of the tools one uses for doublebraids and the like work just as well or better.

Did I say I'm annoyed that I wasted my money on the samson kit?

:agree2:

No reason even a weekend warrior couldn't and shouldn't learn something about splicing.

A weekend warrior does not need to know how to splice lines.He's got enough to learn as it is.

while that is not the most narrow-minded thing I have ever heard its close.:dizzy:
Just say what you mean. I think you meant to say " I can't stand WW's trying". I could be wrong and that's Ok but I could be right... that's Ok too I guess.

Back when I went to treeclimbing school 101 one of the first things they taught was splicing and a bunch of rigging ideas you wouldn't really use everyday.

Back when I went to treeclimbing school 101 one of the first things they taught was splicing and a bunch of rigging ideas you wouldn't really use everyday.

When you learn to skydive (in the Army anyway), first you train in a classroom. Then you jump out the door of a parked plane. Then you jump from a tower. Then you static jump. Then you free fall and pull. Then someday *maybe* you learn to pack a chute. Then if you're perfect, you might pack other people's chutes.

You don't pack a chute on day one. I've got a lot of other things to worry about right now.

(not directing this at you TMD)

When you learn to skydive (in the Army anyway), first you train in a classroom. Then you jump out the door of a parked plane. Then you jump from a tower. Then you static jump. Then you free fall and pull. Then someday *maybe* you learn to pack a chute. Then if you're perfect, you might pack other people's chutes.

You don't pack a chute on day one. I've got a lot of other things to worry about right now.

(not directing this at you TMD)

yeah why pack a shoot if your afraid to jump out of a plane

I'd say just keeping tying the termination not if you don't feel comfortable learning how to splice. Its a pain to splice used rope anyway. When this rope wears out buy a rope with a spliced eye. If you want to learn to splice, go to wesspur and buy some odd length ropes from their clearance rope section and practice splices before you put your life on it. Maybe practice splicing a clip onto a lanyard. I'd say to learn the principles start out splicing some tenex or other hollow braid and then move up from there 2 16 strand and then to double braid. Blue moon is a double braid and is a more complicated splice then single braid or 16 strand. Feel free to PM me with other questions.

Well I found someone to splice my used Blue Moon: the owner of American Arborist. He spliced some Arbor master for me and this guy is an absolute MASTER of splicing.

Well I found someone to splice my used Blue Moon: the owner of American Arborist. He spliced some Arbor master for me and this guy is an absolute MASTER of splicing.

is that Dave? I was just talking with him yesterday. I didn't know is he was the owner or not but they are some " do" guys down there.

is that Dave? I was just talking with him yesterday. I didn't know is he was the owner or not but they are some " do" guys down there.

Yea Dave. He's awesome. Really nice guy and he truly cares about his customers. He knows I'm still green so every time I buy something he takes the extra time, sometimes a lot of it, to inform me of any safety concerns regarding an item. For example, on this eye splice thing, I wanted a tight eye, like a Grizzly. Dave took the time to explain that tight eyes, due to the removal of the core, are not nearly as strong as a standard eye. This also has something to do with the rope stretching at the eye, but not really being able to stretch...if that makes any sense.

You've gotta see these eyes he made me, they are textbook.

Hey TMD

That prussik that you used to back up your ascenders when you SRT that poplar, it was only anchored from one end with a knot in the other end. Do you have pics of that? I thought it was pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back