getting someone to eye splice my Blue Moon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey TMD

That prussik that you used to back up your ascenders when you SRT that poplar, it was only anchored from one end with a knot in the other end. Do you have pics of that? I thought it was pretty cool.

Yea that is cool. I've got a setup I tried last night, the yo yo (RADS). It
s really slick. Next time you're around I'll let you try it. You can switch from ascending to descending in seconds and it's very safe as your tie-on never changes.

Yea that is cool. I've got a setup I tried last night, the yo yo (RADS). It
s really slick. Next time you're around I'll let you try it. You can switch from ascending to descending in seconds and it's very safe as your tie-on never changes.

Yeah i've seen Moss's video demo looks pretty awesome. I just can't see myself buying a GriGri at the moment. So you have the set-up? Have you tried the grigri for SRT work climbing yet?

Yeah i've seen Moss's video demo looks pretty awesome. I just can't see myself buying a GriGri at the moment. So you have the set-up? Have you tried the grigri for SRT work climbing yet?

I have the ID. Really nice. (Santa gave me a Sherrill gift card). The only con, which isn't a huge one, is that it's kinda big. Actually I might return it for the new RIG. (see Petzl site).

I have been practicing different ascending techniques in one of my work warehouses. 25' ceilings with lot of I-beams to tie in to.

http://www.petzl.com/us/pro/rig-compact-self-braking-descender

I have the ID. Really nice. (Santa gave me a Sherrill gift card). The only con, which isn't a huge one, is that it's kinda big. Actually I might return it for the new RIG. (see Petzl site).

I have been practicing different ascending techniques in one of my work warehouses. 25' ceilings with lot of I-beams to tie in to.

http://www.petzl.com/us/pro/rig-compact-self-braking-descender

Looks like a nice peice of equipment, my only beef is if your not going to be using it while your working the tree then you have to store stuff like that on your saddle unless you have a ground guy that you can lower it down to. If I was to use that set-up I would want to be able to use it the entire time i'm in the tree. I hate carrying lot of gear on my saddle. It did look like it works for acsending pretty well though. Do you have to take the weight off the unit to be able to ascend like if you were footlocking? Or can you hip trust on it leaving you weight on it as you tend your slack?

Looks like a nice peice of equipment, my only beef is if your not going to be using it while your working the tree then you have to store stuff like that on your saddle unless you have a ground guy that you can lower it down to. If I was to use that set-up I would want to be able to use it the entire time i'm in the tree. I hate carrying lot of gear on my saddle. It did look like it works for acsending pretty well though. Do you have to take the weight off the unit to be able to ascend like if you were footlocking? Or can you hip trust on it leaving you weight on it as you tend your slack?

Hmmm, let me play with it some more and I'll get back to you.

Delaware. I was in the Penn-Del chapter of the ISA for 15 years and got my cert. arborist with them in 1991. I use to attend the annual meetings in Lancaster but haven't since 2000. I first met Richard at the Morris arboretum, I believe it was 1987.
Hey Treeco the penndel shade tree is coming up in a couple weeks. Why don't you come up? I'm going I need some CEU's bad, be nice to meet the old fart behind the name lol!

Well plas, now that you got your blue moon all straighted out..and your come along..and all that other srt stuff too.. What next killer??

I've got 3 big jobs lined up. One of them I need your help for sure, probably for 2 of them in reality or maybe all three. Do you like money? If you do, give me a hand! I'll PM you the details in a few days.

I know it seems like I spend too much time messing with the gear and with all these questions, but this kind of stuff I can do every day, in any weather, and I can practice indoors with it, well some of it.

When I really get into this, in the spring, and I will get into this in the spring, I want the easy stuff, like the gear and knots and stuff behind me, out of the way, so they come second nature and don't slow me down. There is a method to my madness!

Plus Ben, any cool gear I have is your gear, when we are on site. You can use whatever you want.

I've got 3 big jobs lined up. One of them I need your help for sure, probably for 2 of them in reality or maybe all three. Do you like money? If you do, give me a hand! I'll PM you the details in a few days.

I know it seems like I spend too much time messing with the gear and with all these questions, but this kind of stuff I can do every day, in any weather, and I can practice indoors with it, well some of it.

When I really get into this, in the spring, and I will get into this in the spring, I want the easy stuff, like the gear and knots and stuff behind me, out of the way, so they come second nature and don't slow me down. There is a method to my madness!

Plus Ben, any cool gear I have is your gear, when we are on site. You can use whatever you want.

That actually makes sense about the gear plas. Though I probably would need way too much money to come over there, feel free to PM me anyways young plas! :cheers:

That actually makes sense about the gear plas. Though I probably would need way too much money to come over there, feel free to PM me anyways young plas! :cheers:

Yea you'd be looking at a 4 hour drive on a good day. You'd have to look at it as a chance to meet the Plas and shake his hand LOL. :cheers:

It would be nice to meet up but it's 850 miles or so........a bit to far.

Its not like its a good idea to get on a plane and they probably would think you were a terrorist anyway. But if you decide to come up let me know, i'll pick you up at the airport.:dizzy:

Hey TMD

That prussik that you used to back up your ascenders when you SRT that poplar, it was only anchored from one end with a knot in the other end. Do you have pics of that? I thought it was pretty cool.

YardPicssummer08016.jpg

NC,

I retract my statement about the RIG. I'm keeping my I'D L. The RIG does not have the anti-panic feature that the I'D does and is geared more towards professional rescue and high-access workers. I'll stick with safety at my current level.

TMD,

In your opinion, would using say a CMI rope walker (just a rope grab) as a fail-safe as opposed to the 8mm green Prusik line be acceptable and safe?

The gear is about 2% of getting the work done. Learning to splice before you learn to limb walk is putting the cart before the ass, I mean horse.:)

Honestly I think it's more than 2%. Maybe like 10%, especially if we're talking knot and rigging proficiency. Just getting the feel for rope work on the ground has helped me a lot. Plus, like have said in the past, gear and knotwork is something I can practice every night in my living room as opposed to needing good weather and limited opportunities for tree work. And, I love laying with ropes and learning new knots, I think that in itself is a fun hobby. I know I'm preaching to the choir though as I know you're smart enough to recognize my wisdom here ;)

So when are you coming up here Dan? I'd like to meet your old cranky azz.

The gear is about 2% of getting the work done. Learning to splice before you learn to limb walk is putting the cart before the ass, I mean horse.:)

I think this statement generally sums up why a certain some of us get annoyed with your questions and respond appropriately plas. Its a simple truth what treeco is saying here. I wish you could have seen some of the stuff I've done over the years with just a rope (no clip or "beaners" even) and just a basic saddle without even legstraps. I'm talking hundred foot trees growing out of houses here plas. Trust me, treeco's right on this.

TMD,

In your opinion, would using say a CMI rope walker (just a rope grab) as a fail-safe as opposed to the 8mm green Prusik line be acceptable and safe?

With the rope prusik you can unlatch the ascender and freely and safely move up or down if the mood should strike you.

Back