Gippsland or victoria australia GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One day i am going to do a test on this stock v modded fuel use,with amount of cuts,time taken to do the cuts / fuel used on my stock 660 and modded 660 and settle this once and for all.:D

One day i am going to do a test on this stock v modded fuel use,with amount of cuts,time taken to do the cuts / fuel used on my stock 660 and modded 660 and settle this once and for all.:D

I've done it with my 7900's. Same amount of wood cut per tank pretty well exactly. When I was running 32" bars I was actually getting more done per tank with the modded saw as the stocky was struggling to much with a buried 32" bar and non skip chain. Over a few thousand trees the modded saw actually ended up more efficient funnily enough.

ok I must admit there has been a couple of days where I have used 15 or 16 litres in a day (about 8 hours.) The logs I put the pics up of a little while ago with the 42 inch bar on I used about 3.5 litres to cut 80 percent of the first log and one other one of similar diameter but only about 5 ft of rings cut out of it. 20 litres would be feasible.

I just love my 660s

It has a turbo whistle cause it has secret turbo :) How's it running mate?

Have you heard anything about the Solo's filtration? When you do you may think twice about running one in anything but green pine in a tropical rainforest. The 681 is a shocker and no HD option available, unlike it's near twin the 7900. The 681's are good saws but basing them on my modded and stock 7900's they'd struggle to outpull a 660 with anything over 24". Quite difficult to overcome a 12cc torque band :D

Have you run one matt? not having a dig at all cause I don't know personally. the guys I know who have run them actually said the filtration was pretty good and they have run a fair few different saws. Like I said though I have no personal experience with them and don't really know, but am keen to hear more as I am interested in how they perform. Stihl gonna get a new 660 though, before they are all gone!

What sort of $ are they charging for the 681 down your way Trav ?

I chased one up for Serg from the nearest dealer last year but they aren't cheap, and spares like the air filter were pretty exxy too.

The old firewood cutter here that runs all Solo saws rang me last week as he is getting out of the game and all his gear is up for sale but it isn't cheap.
His 681 has only about 20 hours on it.

I chased one up for Serg from the nearest dealer last year but they aren't cheap, and spares like the air filter were pretty exxy too.

The old firewood cutter here that runs all Solo saws rang me last week as he is getting out of the game and all his gear is up for sale but it isn't cheap.

A local dealer offered me a 681 for $1200 a while ago, not sure what the retail is on them.

The solos are quite pricey, a 656 is about $1200 down here which in reality is not much less than a 362 (actually I could probably get a 362 for that!) I haven't priced a 681. I can find out though! a 62 cc oleo which only gave a few hundred grams on the 656 was a fair bit cheaper and had a 5 year warranty, and higher power output, but an outboard clutch and a filter I didn't like.

Have you run one matt? not having a dig at all cause I don't know personally.

No I haven't run one mate but damn near bought one until some of our US friends started complaining BIG TIME about the amount of crap getting through. You know that when they start complaining about filtration the 681 would be in all sorts of do do down under :D You could of course use spray oil on the filter but that's just compensating for a poor design. I even asked around about whether the Dolmar HD filter setup would fit but alas, no cigar. Despite the 7900's and 681's sharing a lot of parts there is much more of a difference than I originally thought.

have they still got one? when I checked the best price I could get one locally was 1200 plus 259 to replace the crap filter with the HD one!

I have seen them marginally cheaper since then though but the HD filter in oz was still 250 plus, and I couldn't be stuffed waiting for one to come from the states.

have they still got one? when I checked the best price I could get one locally was 1200 plus 259 to replace the crap filter with the HD one!

I got the the 7900 from the US and that was quite a while back. I have seen Makita 7901's on our ebay and some tool websites for around $1000.

I got the the 7900 from the US and that was quite a while back. I have seen Makita 7901's on our ebay and some tool websites for around $1000.

Yeah bout $1099 or $1069 I think is the cheapest I have seen them but I am told that the standard filter makes what the ms660 runs look like the rolls royce of filtration and they wanted another $250 plus dollars for the upgrade to the HD filter plus the airfilter cover upgrade. And yes I know matt they are only $75 from the states but when I buy a saw I do not want to wait for the air filter to come from america I want it then and there!

The standard air filters aren't that bad, they just aren't great either.
As Matt said, filter oil on them and nothing appears to get through but geez, they block up quickly......

As for the HD one, what, you can't wait 7 days from placing an order to delivery to your mail box ?
That's all it takes from Kyle @ Edge & Engine.

It's not like the saw's unusable in the mean time either ;)

The standard air filters aren't that bad, they just aren't great either.
As Matt said, filter oil on them and nothing appears to get through but geez, they block up quickly......

As for the HD one, what, you can't wait 7 days from placing an order to delivery to your mail box ?
That's all it takes from Kyle @ Edge & Engine.

It's not like the saw's unusable in the mean time either ;)

well 7 days might cut it.

Better bring one to the GTG so I can try one! never know I might just go blue!

Latest posts

Back