Glad I burn wood & not pellets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
atta boy! I like that you actually posted your figures and had a legitimate way of prioritizing it. I'm not 100% sure why you "couldn't work" but jobs were (and are) hard to come by. Using your free time in this scenario was great and made you a lot of extra dollars and probably even more in heat savings over the next few years when times will be good and you don't have to miss work to go cut it.

I worked 40 most of the time but a bunch of 34/35 too. When there are no commercial buildings going up there are no hvac units getting installed, or people not repairing broken ones.

I worked 40 most of the time but a bunch of 34/35 too. When there are no commercial buildings going up there are no hvac units getting installed, or people not repairing broken ones.
right on. So would you agree you "pre-bought" your wood by doing the work when you had nothing else going on? your cost per cord is downright cheap too even if you did figure some labor in.

Isn't it sacrilegious for the HVAC boys to cut/burn wood btw?

img_20110326_113141-jpg.338067

Is that an adams apple under that scarf?
I'm not sure she'd like to hear you ask that to her face. but no adams apple :( Real boobies too, i can't get her to get the fake ones :(

wanna bet? *gets out more bait*

If you make $15 an hour you don't pay taxes unless you're single and have a bad accountant that can't write off your chainsaw fetish because you don't even sell a cord or two a year to write all of it off. You pay medicare and social security tax and thats it. Your good friend uncle sam refunds you at the end of the year for all your taxes you've paid in if that's all your household income is. so lets say more like 7.5% (unless you're self employed like myself and then i DO pay self employment tax at 14% or 16% or whatever the heck it is) and then you're STILL driving to cut your wood instead of having it delivered. You're still not winning with me. I said the $5.50 to buy it was a savings because I didn't have to stack it or drive to get it.

Your amortization argument FURTHER feeds my point. If you're writing it off over time are you actually realizing those savings with your uncle... uncle sam?
it was a little bait.. i got a little response, thought you were done with it... need more bait?

Are you really such a glutten for punishment. You say you can cut wood for $144.50, factoring your labor and all other cost. This includes stacking and driving already in your numbers, you are paying $5.50 for a convience because you are to lazy to do it yourself. Even your $5.50 number is wrong, its much more than that.. You claim 5.5hrs to do the work yourself. Wood cost you $150 if you buy it, that means at $15 perhr wage , it took you 10hrs to actually make enough money to pay for the wood. Now you are at $5.50 in cash and an additional 10hrs of labor at straight time, or 6.6hrs of overtime wages. I hr of overtime or $22.50 plus your extra $5.50. Your lazy streak really cost you and extra hr of work and $28 of cash. The numbers just keep getting worse for you.

Be careful with your bait, you might catch a shark

Are you really such a glutten for punishment. You say you can cut wood for $144.50, factoring your labor and all other cost. This includes stacking and driving already in your numbers, you are paying $5.50 for a convience because you are to lazy to do it yourself. Even your $5.50 number is wrong, its much more than that.. You claim 5.5hrs to do the work yourself. Wood cost you $150 if you buy it, that means at $15 perhr wage , it took you 10hrs to actually make enough money to pay for the wood. Now you are at $5.50 in cash and an additional 10hrs of labor at straight time, or 6.6hrs of overtime wages. I hr of overtime or $22.50 plus your extra $5.50. Your lazy streak really cost you and extra hr of work and $28 of cash. The numbers just keep getting worse for you.

Be careful with your bait, you might catch a shark
my numbers DIDN'T include driving, it included stacking AT THE PLACE IT WAS SPLIT. i think you're going to win because you're making my head hurt, but we'll see who trolls who by the time we're done. I did include the fuel, truck, splitter and saws. You either have rocks in your head or don't have the mental capacity to formulate a price or you just are to uneducated. Something doesn't allow you to wrap your brain around any concept except that "i go to the woods, i cut wood, i take it home, i burn it"

quoted from page 3 this morning #48

I already went through this somewhere above, but i'll make another go at it and even exclude driving to and from which for most people adds at least another hour.
cutting a cord of wood 2 hours. loading cord of wood in truck and trailer about an hour, drive home, get splitter out and split for 2 hours minimum and stacking. :)
You cant even remember what you wrote. You claimed to exclude driving and then added drive home and stacking. Real math and facts has a tendency to make ones head hurt doesnt it.

You cant even remember what you wrote. You claimed to exclude driving and then added drive home and stacking. Real math and facts has a tendency to make ones head hurt doesnt it.
i said drive home (didn't put an hour figure on that, excluded on purpose). Split and stack 2 hours. the splitting and stacking of a cord was 2 hours and was included, the driving home amount of time was omitted as EVERYONE has a different drive home. the raw numbers are fairly close on the cutting and loading the truck as an average, the splitting with a hydraulic splitter and stacking are fairly average numbers. Driving was not included TO or FROM.

How many cows do you own? Beef or Milk? 25000 bushel, what is that in tons. Bushel is 56lbs correct?
50 and about 3 times that many yearlings on wheat. Beef cows and sheep and a few goats. 56 lbs in a perfect world yes. I'm sure 15k bushels will go to market. Million and a half pounds or so. Some of it is 4 years old in theory because I was trying to avoid paying taxes but since the market fell out the storage is killing me. My coop will profit more than me on this one unless I feed it up.

Could you not get a bagger and sell it as corn fuel. I guess shipping would be the killer. 25000bushels is about 700tons, $100grand.
Eeeeeh. Probably. But I can sell all of it and get 100k without doing anything and I don't think my coop really wants to give me that much corn back lol. I collected insurance on the crops and lost my butt so bad that what I have left will barely make a balloon payment I have coming.

BTW I think bagging it as fuel corn and selling it for 200 a ton would make a killing even paying freight. If the market existed.

So what do the pellet guys do when the stores run out of pellets? Can they substitute wood in their pellet stoves or are they SOL?
I've always wondered about the SOL thing too with pellets. My brother had a corn stove for yrs. but he didn't run it this season? I hate being at the mercy of a manufacture's supply and demand:(

Deer corn around here is $9 for 50lbs. I dont have a clue as to what corn fuel sells for, dont think i have ever seen it. I havent researched any markets, but $9 for 50lbs is better than the $6 a bushel you folks are wishing for. Got to be a way to get a better than $4 bushel price out of it.

i have 25000 bushels of it... my cows sure seem to like their ration everyday... we all thought we'd get rich and see how that turned out for us?
we have that much in the coop but the storage will eat it up before too long .
we did about 12,000 bushel of corn in a grain bag along with a lot of wheat and soybean.
we are trying to get away from coop as much as we can.
and for getting rich,,,,,, look at the coop's

Back