Glove mileage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doingitwell

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all, wondering what the census is for durable, long lasting gloves? I prefer leather as I can't stand those cotton/canvas ones sold at Home Depot for $2.00. I usually get Stanley leather gloves at my local Walmart for about $7.00 but I burn em up within about 4 days of use.

The wood I mainly handle is Lodgepole and or Ponderosa. I see several types of gloves out there and some quite spendy, but if they hold up, it would be worth the price.

Any information you can share would be appreciated.

I run into the same thing!! I can't count how many pair of leather gloves I went through this year. The worst were the soft boreskin gloves by Stihl. That was the last time I treated myself to a pair of $21 gloves. They didn't hold up for ****. The cutting or splitting doesn't seem to phase the leather like the stacking does. Like you, I can almost count the days that they last.

Funny that you mention it I have the same issue too, I recently bought a pair of leather "ranchers" gloves, turned out to be no good ( lasted 4-5 days doing wood) Im currently back to using my husky gloves I bought from the dealership a few years ago but never got around to using them, now the stiching is coming apart and ive worn a hole through a finger. If anyone can suggest a good pair of comfortable gloves that will stand up to regular work it love to here it.:givebeer:

Maybe some kind of glove made with Kevlar would hold up. Definitley the fingers wear through for me. The leather gloves with soft warm lining inside (usually red) drive me crazy when the sawchips get inside and stick there. Can't use 'em.

Maybe some kind of glove made with Kevlar would hold up. Definitley the fingers wear through for me. The leather gloves with soft warm lining inside (usually red) drive me crazy when the sawchips get inside and stick there. Can't use 'em.

Agreed!!

Maybe someone will chime in and tell us about an awesome glove that we dont know about.

I have the same problem! I like unlined leather gloves when the weather is warm but I end up wearing right thru them. When a hole starts, I wrap the fingers with about 4 turns of duct tape. It works for a while then I just do it again. In the winter I just buy the cheapie split cowhide gloves from harbor freight and wear the brown cotton gloves as liners. The cuffs on the liners seem to keep out most of the chips. I can't bring myself to spend north of 20 bucks for a pair of gloves--I don't think the pricey ones last much longer anyways.

Hey all, wondering what the census is for durable, long lasting gloves? I prefer leather as I can't stand those cotton/canvas ones sold at Home Depot for $2.00. I usually get Stanley leather gloves at my local Walmart for about $7.00 but I burn em up within about 4 days of use.

The wood I mainly handle is Lodgepole and or Ponderosa. I see several types of gloves out there and some quite spendy, but if they hold up, it would be worth the price.

Any information you can share would be appreciated.

durable long lasting gloves! no such thing! unless you dont want to be able to feel what you are doing. In all reality one of the best pairs I've ever had were from a gas staion for 10.00! I too made the mistake of spending 20.oo on a pair of Carhart gloves that made it through one session before they were torn with holes!

I buy some leather gloves from Menards for about $.65 on sale. Some last a day or less, some last quite a while. At least I get that new glove feel pretty often. They are thin and I'll wear them even when it is quite cold. I never have a problem with cold hands while I'm working. I don't need insulated boots either. If I am just sitting in the cold, that is a different story.

I use mechanix brand gloves and go threw about 3 pairs a year, and i use they for everything from loading scarp, roofing, riding atv, climbing and wood cutting. Plus they have a real good fit to my meat hooks.

I've used the Carhartt Fencer Glove, seems to be the most durable for me as a weekend firewood warrior. I get two pair that will last me a year.

I use mechanix brand gloves and go threw about 3 pairs a year, and i use they for everything from loading scarp, roofing, riding atv, climbing and wood cutting. Plus they have a real good fit to my meat hooks.

I love the mechanix gloves too, I wear them for just about everything except firewood. I go through about the same 3 pairs a year.

I've used the Carhartt Fencer Glove, seems to be the most durable for me as a weekend firewood warrior. I get two pair that will last me a year.

Im going to try those out, Ill let ya know how I make out :)

From what I see so far, handling wood chews up gloves fast. So I won't spend big bux on them. I get the cheapos at Menards/Northern/HD/etc. Just the basic split hide and canvas type for a buck or two. Won't work well for the winter, but they work well and are cheap enough to not worry about throwing out rapidly.

Now for working the tractor or saws, a pair of the mechanix style are much better. Any of those general construction type gloves are good as they are snug fitting and hold up decently.

I don't know the brand name, sold by a local Intermountian Farmers but they have some in goat skin and pig skin.

The goat is softer and the pig skin ones last a lot longer. Twelve to fifteen bucks a pair.

A month at the very least.

Kevin

I did a post on a Comparo I did with a pair of the Dolmar chainsaw gloves last year. Those Gloves are STILL in service and wore them again this afternoon.
Probably 20 Cords cut and stacked on 'em, plus a bunch of clearing work and blueberry pruning.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=116107&highlight=Cutting+gloves

Once it gets cold out they ain't worth spit though, so they sat in the barn for half the cutting season.

If and when I finally kill 'em, I'm getting another pair ASAP.

I finally found decent cold weather gloves for the woodpile from Kinco.
They don't wear too bad, as good as the 20 dollar goatskins anyway, but they are insulated enough, and the cuffs are long enough to keep the snow out.

I gave up on the rubber dipped gloves. Just wierd, cold, and get too wet, too easy for me.

I found what may be the holy Grail though.
I gotta go dig 'em out and get the links, but 5 Bucks for heavy leather old school made in the USofA, fence gloves.

I'll get the info and links and post it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I did a post on a Comparo I did with a pair of the Dolmar chainsaw gloves last year. Those Gloves are STILL in service and wore them again this afternoon.
Probably 20 Cords cut and stacked on 'em, plus a bunch of clearing work and blueberry pruning.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=116107&highlight=Cutting+gloves

Once it gets cold out they ain't worth spit though, so they sat in the barn for half the cutting season.

If and when I finally kill 'em, I'm getting another pair ASAP.

I finally found decent cold weather gloves for the woodpile from Kinco.
They don't wear too bad, as good as the 20 dollar goatskins anyway, but they are insulated enough, and the cuffs are long enough to keep the snow out.

I gave up on the rubber dipped gloves. Just wierd, cold, and get too wet, too easy for me.

I found what may be the holy Grail though.
I gotta go dig 'em out and get the links, but 5 Bucks for heavy leather old school made in the USofA, fence gloves.

I'll get the info and links and post it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

toetap05.gif

;)

I usually go through 3-5 pairs a season cutting and splitting.

LOL!!!

Patience ain't one of my blessings either.:D

Here's the link to the retailer I got mine at.

http://www.bandgdiscount.com/default2.asp?active_page_id=199

If you find yourself in northern Indianna goin crosseyed from lookin' at Cornfields while on 131. Stop in, as the place is a must see, and bring CASH!!
If ya pay with cash, the cost of the stuff in your basket goes down to half if you have more than a certain number of items, which ain't hard if ya like USA made Duct tape for a buck a roll, Work T-shirts for a buck, and all the socks and other stuff. LOL!! Lotsa Harbor freight stuff for 1/3 the price too.

attachment.php

I paid 5 bucks.... Made in USA. Tried 'em this summer and they hold up just like the old wells Lamont fence gloves.
Went back and got 3 more pair, and had enough stuff in the basket to get the 40% off.

Never ordered online though.

Stay Safe!
Dingeryote

I've had the same results as most here, but last year I used a $2 of leather and canvas cheapos when I was putting an oil based stain finish on some flooring as I couldn't find any rubber gloves. The palms and fingers were fully soaked with the stuff when I finished, and I figured for $2 they kept the finish off my hands. I found the gloves a month later, and they were stiff for a few days, but ever since they have been indestructible. Fencebulding, splitting posts, barbed wire, stacking, etc. The next pair I buy will get the treatment too. I agree that spending more hasn't gotten me anything better.

Pete

Back