Glove mileage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy goatskins from Lamont. Lined in the winter, unlined summer. 6-8 bucks pr. The fingers always get holes first, but they're comfortable, and durable. Recently I bought some of those cheap leather gloves, 2.99 a pair, a couple of good days running the stump grinder, and torn and holes everywhere, when I stumpgrind, the glove is just to keep grease off of my hands, the lamont gloves are so much better all around, it's what I'll buy from now on.

I've said it before

the knit wrist, insulated, pigskin kinco's are the best cold weather glove period. Been using the rubber faced knit gloves in the summer for roofing and firewood ; these seem to be pretty good.

Inexpensive leather gloves barely last me through one day. I was very fond of the mechanics gloves for a long time, but again they didn't last long. Despite the good "feel" that you maintain while wearing them, they just weren't worth the 15 for a couple days work before I wore a hole through the middle fingers.

I have been very fond of the knit gloves with rubber coating on the palms and fingers. I tried some from Harbor Freight for $2. They are OK but again only last a day before the coating starts peeling off. I got some from Home Depot for around $4 per pair. Better, but the coating still came off after a couple of days. Then I found these at the local hardware for $5-6:

http://gloves.lfsinc.com/content/?cat=20

I have been using the ThermaFit gloves since the middle of last winter. The rubber is starting to wear off the tips of some of the fingers, but the gloves are still going strong. With the lesser gloves the latex starts to peel. These Atlas gloves seem to have the latex impregnated into the knit of the glove.

Another bonus is they allow good grip on wet wood and don't immediately get soaked when handling wood in the snow. They breathe through the backs so your hands don't get all sweaty when its hot.

They fit fairly tight and allow good feel. I will never buy another leather pair of work gloves again. These things are the ticket.

I love the mechanix gloves too, I wear them for just about everything except firewood. I go through about the same 3 pairs a year.

Same here. I get a good deal on several pairs on Ebay. I like some of the fancier ones like the MPACT 2. I don't need to take them off to change a chain or add gas and oil. They are not super warm, but are good for three seasons.

I've given up trying to find a long lasting economical glove so I just buy them at the Depot for $1/pair for the split cowhide. I find it easier to throw away 12 pairs of these cheap gloves then to throw away one pair of $12 gloves - just the way my twisted mind works. I don't cut once the snow flies so I don't have the cold/wet issue you others have.

These are the ones I use for work and at home. I've been using the same expensive winter version at work for going on 3 seasons now, and we spend 4 out of 5 days out cutting. They are starting to show a bit of wear but they are damn warm and don't make my hands sweat. I use the lighter weight ones as well for summer work too. Their stuff is a bit pricey but man it holds up, I get my work pants, shirts and a good bit of other stuff from these people. Good customer service too!

White Mules for out here. I grabbed a couple out of my pickup the other day and they worked, even though both were for the left hand. They are inexpensive which is important. I lose gloves before they wear out.

Ansell Metalist Nitrile Palm Coated Glove With Kevlar

Worked at a place that bought these by the case. Just googled them and found them for $7.82 a pair. Mine have always held up well, but they are thin and not waterproof. If it is really cold your hands will get cold in these and you will get some wood chips down them. I normally pull them off every time I shut the saw off and shake the wood chips out and it has never been an issue. They defiantly will outlast any leather glove you can buy at Depot.

These are the ones i use they are about $15 here in Ozz,they last a long time and are cumfortable.

attachment.php

I have never had a pair of gloves that lasted. The ones that I find that last the longest are the rubber/nitrille palm and fingers. I tend to buy the cheap ones at $10.00 for a dozen and get two weeks out of them.

Inexpensive leather gloves barely last me through one day. I was very fond of the mechanics gloves for a long time, but again they didn't last long. Despite the good "feel" that you maintain while wearing them, they just weren't worth the 15 for a couple days work before I wore a hole through the middle fingers.

I have been very fond of the knit gloves with rubber coating on the palms and fingers. I tried some from Harbor Freight for $2. They are OK but again only last a day before the coating starts peeling off. I got some from Home Depot for around $4 per pair. Better, but the coating still came off after a couple of days. Then I found these at the local hardware for $5-6:

http://gloves.lfsinc.com/content/?cat=20

I have been using the ThermaFit gloves since the middle of last winter. The rubber is starting to wear off the tips of some of the fingers, but the gloves are still going strong. With the lesser gloves the latex starts to peel. These Atlas gloves seem to have the latex impregnated into the knit of the glove.

Another bonus is they allow good grip on wet wood and don't immediately get soaked when handling wood in the snow. They breathe through the backs so your hands don't get all sweaty when its hot.

They fit fairly tight and allow good feel. I will never buy another leather pair of work gloves again. These things are the ticket.

Yup..those Atlas gloves are the bomb. They are what our pipe laying crews wear at work, we buy them by the bundle. They last well, are not too hot and are semi-waterproof. Good gloves for the price.:biggrinbounce2:

I use these:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=13020+DZ&catID=9777

I bought a dozen a couple of years back since they were cheap. I did not expect them to hold up , but they have done very well. I put them over my insulated leather gloves in the winter and use them by themselves in the summer. I only have 2 problems with these gloves - they are a bit slippery on plastic and metal (tractor or truck steering wheel, etc) and they tend to collect splinters when splitting/handling wood. For me these are minor annoyances. I have yet to throw out a pair due to a hole in a finger/thumb. I have lost a pair or 2 left out in the rain or etc, but have yet to wear out any. I think I still have 3 or 4 pair left on the shelf that have not been used.

Well, I give my gloves a pretty good workout in Juniper, and really prefer cotton gloves over leather. Pick these up locally for 6 bucks a pair, and probably get three weeks of full time work out of 'em, more on saw than wood. Nothing compared to a chain a week.

attachment.php

My Father in Law gave me two pairs of knitted Kevlar gloves that he got as a sample at his shop. I've used them for 3 seasons now and finally wore holes in one pair. They are TOUGH and cool, which is a great combo for my hot hands. They don't have any waterproofing or lining, so they get a bit chilly in the winter. For working in dry/warm weather, they are my favorites.

My Father in Law gave me two pairs of knitted Kevlar gloves that he got as a sample at his shop. I've used them for 3 seasons now and finally wore holes in one pair. They are TOUGH and cool, which is a great combo for my hot hands. They don't have any waterproofing or lining, so they get a bit chilly in the winter. For working in dry/warm weather, they are my favorites.

Are they "Secret Agent" gloves or can you tell us who makes them? I didn't have any luck finding the pigskin gloves by Kinko.

I use the Wells-Lamont leather gloves from Wal-Mart, less than $10/pr, not bad, not the best. Throw away when they get wet.

I have been wearing these Stihl gloves around for the last month. They have been holding up real well. I wear them for everthing from cutting, splitting to feeding and livestock chores. They are made of goat skin and a stretchy material on the top. I think they retail for around $13.00

http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/Work-gloves.html

Back