Gloves.. Any good ones exist?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balls_of_stihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering what some of your guy's opinions were on good gloves that have good dexterity so your able to have somewhat of a feel for the saw. It's so cold here in mn especially close to Dakota border catching there wind chill -17 at moment-33 wind chill so it's actually not that bad at the moment but any point in a good direction will be appreciated

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Trigger finger leather gauntlets with removable wool liners are good.
When temp outside gets industrial nippy, I put a pair of "dollar store" stretchy ladies/kids gloves inside the wool liners.

Are you climbing? You need to grip a rope? For climbing with spikes I like mechanics gloves with velcro because you can strap them on and they don't come off when you use your finger tips. You can reinforce the finger tips with that Johnson and Johnson waterproof tape, it holds up to the wear and stays on if you do it right. For spikeless climbing you need to grip a rope, find a heavy knit glove with that rubber grip stuff, some are much better then others. Once you find gloves you can do your job while wearing get some of those toe warmers. Those are better then hand warmers because they have a sticky back, glue those to the inside or your glove on the back side of your hand. They will heat the blood vessels close to the skin. Best solution I've found. Occasionally I will warm my fingers on the exhaust of my saw.

I'm going to order some of those. Just bought a $50 pair of gloves the other day from Dicks that were supposed to be waterproof and warm. Not even close, I'm going to try and take them back tomorrow. Been going through a bunch of different gloves and thought maybe the expensive ones would work. None of them are worth **** if your hands get wet through the gloves.

I've had good luck with various styles from Kinco.

No i don't do any climbing unless fat chicks count jkjk but I just hate having to take gloves off to start the saw up and be able to grab starter rope. I even made a custom handle out of a hickory ax handle i broke the other day. It actually helps a lot and is way easier on the hand. I use the muffler hand warmer trick also whether on sled, tractor, splitter or saw and it works good. I was thinking maybe these gloves but I don't know if they would have the dexterity carhartt A519. Anyone have experience with them?

And i realize I may not be an arborist or tree climber or whatever it means but I figured you guys would use top of the line gear and would have better knowledge of some industry secret ultimate glove

The best i've found for summer are the blue latex palm Atlas gloves and the Chilly grips for winter.

Sent from my Autotune Carb

Cheap gloves, you burn trough them quick. Snowmobiling gloves are toasty but spendy and don't really hold up to wear of handling wood.

There is only one type of glove material, and that's deerskin. Expensive yes, wears like iron yes, soft, smooth and supple yes. Get them wet no problem dries soft and flexible. Goat skin is nice but it doesn't wear 1/3 as long as deer.

Forgo the gloves.....get leather gauntlets.
Listen to this guy from Ontario.....he knows what cold is!

image.jpg

I'm glad this subject came up...good feedback so far. I think climate zones and types of work you do determines the best gloves to wear. Winter work for us happens from November through March. I like Wells Lamont leather with fabric web back or insulated gloves that I can find marked down end of season at WalMart, usually $1.00 to $2.00 a pair. They tend to get sweaty but put on the floor in front of the refrigerator fan vent dries them out overnight. For warmer months I like two types; leather gloves by Wells Lamont (cannot find the model number but I'll look at my Amazon account to post the number later) bought on Amazon.com and Atlas Fit fabric gloves with blue rubber, bought a dozen pair at a time.
I'd like to know more about the Carhartt A512's.

l too am interested in this subject...l've tried many and find price don't always equate to quality. lf l get a month out of a pair l'm doing well so l'm all ears to hear what those are using and what works/lasts best. Seems most retailers stock 'cheap' gloves as people don't see value in spending a little more on quality. l have heard goats leather is good but i've not yet tried them.

The Wells Lamont gloves are model M861 Adult Wet Cement Suede with 3D web backing. They are priced today on Amazon $12.20 and IMO well worth every penny. Durable, easy on, easy off, good gripping life and protection from the sharpness of stuff we work with.

Atlas sticky gloves with a kids stretchy knit glove on the inside. Warm and sticky.

Latest posts

Back