gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good pair of gloves to wear that will come half way up the forearm. Im tired of burning the crap out of my arm on the fireplace and would like to get a pair of gloves that would keep me from doing so.. I hit the top of my arm for just a split second every once in a while on the top of my insert when pulling my hand out of the heat when I put wood on the fire and sometimes I hit the top of my forearm and it looks like I been tortured with a hot iron at times..lol..

Try your welding supply shop.

I thought about that I may have to go online not sure we have a welding supply shop or any place local that sells that type of stuff..those would work great.. I would order some through work cause they have some cheapos at work that would be great but they wont do things like that for the shop workers.. were just there to make the company money and thats it.. there not there to do us any kind of favors..lol.. not proud of the place I work at but its paying the bills and i will be eligable to pay for my own insurance and have benefits once again.. last place I worked at and most others I worked at on part time basis would do things like that for us. they didnt mind as long as we paid for the item and shipping costs. oh well.. I will do some searching online..

I got a pair of welding gloves from Northern Tool. Lasted a season and a half, but I think it was well worth it. I'm going to order another pair.

I suggest going with El Cheapos, because they won't last.

I just ordered a pair of 20 dollar welding gloves off amazon that are 18 inches in length and can be rolled down some if need be at the base of the sleeve if they end up going past the elbow.. but they were cheapos and if they last me a season or more I will be happy with them..thanks for the help and suggestions everyone..:yoyo:

I would order a $20 pair of welding gloves off of Amazon that are 18" in lenght,that way they can be rolled down if needed.If they last you a season or more it will be money well spent.

I always use welding gloves, they work just fine for me.

Do a seach on "foundry gloves", you will find so many it makes your head spin.

Craig

I use long cuff welding gloves also. I think the ones I'm using now came from Tractor Supply, but I can usually find them around $15/pr. I agree not to spend alot because more expensive gloves don't seem to last any longer than the cheap ones. I get between a season and two seasons (with a little Ductape) out of a pair.

This guy has some really long gloves. Try them. They're cheap.

attachment.php

Can anyone recommend a good pair of gloves to wear that will come half way up the forearm. Im tired of burning the crap out of my arm on the fireplace and would like to get a pair of gloves that would keep me from doing so.. I hit the top of my arm for just a split second every once in a while on the top of my insert when pulling my hand out of the heat when I put wood on the fire and sometimes I hit the top of my forearm and it looks like I been tortured with a hot iron at times..lol..

http://www.northlineexpress.com/category/fireplace-gloves.asp

I have them, you can pick up a burning log.

ACE hardware, Tru value Hardware, TSC, all the dadgum box stores.

Welding gloves, or in the fireplace section of the box stores you'll find welding gloves labeled "Fireplace gloves" with an extra 10 bucks on the price.

Just found out the hard way I need another pair.
Using them to carry wood from the rack to the stove, chewed a hole in the middle finger. 10-12 bucks and they last a year.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

No doubt, welders gloves are the way to go.
I worked as a welder for a short stint and learned there is a difference between the cheap and expensive gloves; the more expensive gloves will insulate your fingers from the same heat for a few more seconds and won't dry out, shrink, get stiff, hard and brittle as quickly. But, for fireplace and wood stove work any welders gloves will be just fine and last at least the season with a little common-sense. A $10 - $20 pair can be had at just about any Hardware, Fleet, Farm Supply or Home Improvement retailer, also at most lumber yards and even Sears/Craftsman stores.

Something to think about...
Welders gloves are a compromise between finger dexterity and finger protection; different brands/models take this to different levels. It pays to check a couple places and try them on, test for finger movement and such. For wood stove work I like 'em softer and more flexible (a bit less insulation), with rough(er) type outer leather for handling wood, stove tools, controls, etc. Also, don't just buy the pair sitting on top of the pile, sort through them looking for the best leather... feel them for "thin" or overly stiff places in the leather... you get the idea. If you find some you really like, buy more than one pair... because sure as the wind blows they won't have that brand/model next time you need 'em.

I thought about that I may have to go online not sure we have a welding supply shop or any place local that sells that type of stuff..those would work great.. I would order some through work cause they have some cheapos at work that would be great but they wont do things like that for the shop workers.. were just there to make the company money and thats it.. there not there to do us any kind of favors..lol.. not proud of the place I work at but its paying the bills and i will be eligable to pay for my own insurance and have benefits once again.. last place I worked at and most others I worked at on part time basis would do things like that for us. they didnt mind as long as we paid for the item and shipping costs. oh well.. I will do some searching online..

I can't believe that you don't have a local welding supply or hardware store that sells welding gloves in southern Indiana. I did a google for Evansville and got plenty of hits from Louisville to Bloomington and Evansville. Of course you can find them at any Home Depot, TSC, or Lowes. Like others have said just buy the cheap ones cause you'll tear them up quickly handling wood.

welding supply stores can help you out.
if you know anyone thats a welder or knows a welder, get some of their old gloves. They may not handle a 500 degree part, but they will handle a few hundred radiant to handle a stove.
You may also consider getting some welders sleeves.

I can't believe that you don't have a local welding supply or hardware store that sells welding gloves in southern Indiana. I did a google for Evansville and got plenty of hits from Louisville to Bloomington and Evansville. Of course you can find them at any Home Depot, TSC, or Lowes. Like others have said just buy the cheap ones cause you'll tear them up quickly handling wood.

I dont live that far south but where I do live is a hole in the wall type town and closest TSC or home depot or lowes even is 20 miles either town I go to..lol.. so I got some ordered though and be here this coming week will just have to play it safe.. Im working 7 days a week right now and trying to keep up with house work and christmas running as well so this online shopping is a great thing to me right now if I can stand to wait a few days for them to be shipped..lol..

Latest posts

Back