going bigger. ms460 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My next saw will be

Without a doubt a ported 372.. Not that I need one..But I WANT one. A new stock one? nope..

372XP is not a very good choice since you already have a MS361. I'd simply want more seperation in the lineup. (460, 7900 or 660).

7900 gives you that power seperation but doesn't weight much more then 372XP.

That is true, if you need the added power of the 7900 - but new issues with them seem to pop up all the time........:censored:

From reading several thosend posts on saws in the 70-79cc range, I believe the best bet is to have a 75cc 372xp modded by an expert, if you need the extra power......:givebeer:

I say forget em both. Hell I gotem both and neither one see much use. You got a 026 and a 361. The next choice should be a 660 and be done with it. Thats a perfect three saw set up and all the saws you will ever need no matter what your cutting. Ya get a 7900 or a 460 mark my word you will want more power later on. Go ahead and get the big boy and never look back.

I agree.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

That is true, if you need the added power of the 7900 - but new issues with them seem to pop up all the time........:censored:

From reading several thosend posts on saws in the 70-79cc range, I believe the best bet is to have a 75cc 372xp modded by an expert, if you need the extra power......:givebeer:

would one of those issues be the filtration? i just spoke with a fellow who says that the 7900 has a two piece filter? he said to clean it properly you must seperate the two and clean both sides. apparently there were issues with the carbs getting screwed up by fine dust because user didn't know to take them apart.
i assume this accounts for some of the complaints of the filter clogging too fast as well.

the 372xp 75cc version is more money than the 7900. let alone the expense of professional porting. i cannot justify buying a new saw, for more money, that needs a mod right out of the box to compete.
:cheers:

the 372xp 75cc version is more money than the 7900. let alone the expense of professional porting. i cannot justify buying a new saw, for more money, that needs a mod right out of the box to compete.
:cheers:[/QUOTE]

Oh I never meant to imply that it was a justifiable want..

apparently there were issues with the carbs getting screwed up by fine dust because user didn't know to take them apart.
i assume this accounts for some of the complaints of the filter clogging too fast as well.

Dolmar released a re-designed air intake cover w/pre-filter to keep the intake area cleaner.

Oh I never meant to imply that it was a justifiable want..

no sir. i wasn't referring to you. sorry to imply.
you already have the 7900... you can do what you want!:)

Last edited:
would one of those issues be the filtration? i just spoke with a fellow who says that the 7900 has a two piece filter? he said to clean it properly you must seperate the two and clean both sides. apparently there were issues with the carbs getting screwed up by fine dust because user didn't know to take them apart.

The air filter thingy probably woudn't matter much where I am, but it may do elsewhere. We have no problems with the 5100S.

When I wanted MORE, I bought a rebuilt 066. It had a new aftermarket P&C, new 25" Stihl ES bar and chain, and excellent overall. I ran several tanks through it, and it was suggested that I might want to try a big bore kit. With the BB P&C it has MORE:chainsawguy: , like 99cc, and I'm still at less $$ than a 7900.

The 066/660 powerhead weighs 16.5#. That is a couple more than a 460 or 7900, but once you're in that range a pound or two isn't noticeable. Stepping up to 088/880, 3120, or 9010(?) at 23#-25# definitely would be noticeable even over the 066/660.

I'm not a hardcore Stihl guy, but have come to appreciate those that I have. In your shoes, if it wasn't going to be 066/660, I WOULD buy the 460. There are big bore kits available for the 460s and they can be further massaged if you need even more.....

honestly, lake, how do you feel about the 7900 other than your dislike of the filtration design? any glaring weak points? i value your opinion.:)

Nothing glaring... It's a decent cutting saw... Not as "solid" as a 460/660 (wimply plastic) and the throttle cable leaves much to be desired. I don't like the carb to cylinder mount, but...

If you want used parts, good luck - Dolmar has a tiny market share.

Chain adjuster ..... hmmm...

Yes, the filter sucks.. but given the amount of wood you cut, I doubt your choice will make much difference:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Not knocking 7900,

But how dose Dolmar convert KW to BHP
I have run the Stihl, Husky and Dolmar's KW ratings threw
a converter Most of Stihl's come out with just a little more power
than what rated at on website, Husky about the same.
But the Dolmar seem to be off. Dolmar list the 7900 as 4.5 KW and 6.3 BHP
Run 4.5 KW threw a converter it comes to 6.03 BHP. I used 3 different
converts on line all came out the same.

Stihl list the 460 at 4.5 KW and 6.0 BHP on there web site.

Nothing glaring... It's a decent cutting saw... Not as "solid" as a 460/660 (wimply plastic) and the throttle cable leaves much to be desired. I don't like the carb to cylinder mount, but...

If you want used parts, good luck - Dolmar has a tiny market share.

Chain adjuster ..... hmmm...

Yes, the filter sucks.. but given the amount of wood you cut, I doubt your choice will make much difference:greenchainsaw:

true, you wise arse, true. i only burn about 4 maybe 5 cord. but you never know when nuclear winter will set in.... that number could double.:)

could you elaborate on the chain adjuster please?

Last edited:
your gonna hafta spell it out for me.

i have not seen the adjuster on the 7900. is it a front tensioner?

if it is the same as stihl... are you messin with me?!?:dizzy:

Its designed cheesy. Its like the adjuster was an afterthought. That was the first thing I didnt like about my 7900, then the air filter.

Dolmar filter

When the new Dolmar filter comes out, it is to be 6 times or so the surface area of the existing one, and have a pre filter to boot, I have a picture of it, but can't post it right now, it is going to be available in the spring sometime. I do think the 660 is a tougher saw, but it is tougher on me also, heavier and more vibrations. I think the 660/066 has the best name in the woods for the last 15 years. Just he vibs are higher.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back