going bigger. ms460 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The suspense was killing me...

So we carried home a new baby today.

# + 169618898, born in Bad Cannstatt, Germany in April 2008

Last edited:
:arg:
I've rode a BSA lighting, that is a nice bike. I really like the old thumpers the best. But a british twin is to fall in love with:cheers:[/QUOTE]

I've owned Triumphs, BSAs, and a Norton. The Triumphs were an '73 X75 Hurricane(was supposed to be a BSA, but BSA went under) and a new Scrambler. BSAs included a '67 Royal Star( with 650 Lightning engine) and a '70 441VS. The Norton was a '67 750 P11 or P14 whichever was also sold as a Matchless(?).

The 441 wasn't terribly fast, but torquey, and a real hoot! The Royal Star handled better than the X75, but wasn't nearly as pretty. As my screen name implies, I'm a fan of the Yamaha 650 twins, and have several. I also have a big bore XT500 single. The Yamaha engines are much more robust than the old Brit stuff. The new Triumph Scrambler only looks similar to the old Triumphs. Its way better in every way except for weight.

As for saws in this thread, I'd buy the 460 even if it was a bit more $$. Bar interchangeablility would be a plus in that he already has a 361. I wouldn't buy a big saw on price alone. My own big saws are 066s that were used but rebuilt. They're overkill for firewood, but were intended for the mill and occasional big stuff.

I like the fact that there are aftermarket parts, including big bore, available for the 460. I realize that the 7900 BB is "in the works", but it hasn't made it to the market yet. The 460 is more "proven" to my way of thinking. I DO own Dolmar saws in blue in the way of the Makita DCS401 and 540, but were relatively inexpensive compare to a 7900 or 460.

Wow. I had a Yamaha 650 as well. Those BSAs/Triumphs from the 60's would make think every wrench you owned was "off" by a little.

Joat

:arg:
I've rode a BSA lighting, that is a nice bike. I really like the old thumpers the best. But a british twin is to fall in love with:cheers

I've owned Triumphs, BSAs, and a Norton. The Triumphs were an '73 X75 Hurricane(was supposed to be a BSA, but BSA went under) and a new Scrambler. BSAs included a '67 Royal Star( with 650 Lightning engine) and a '70 441VS. The Norton was a '67 750 P11 or P14 whichever was also sold as a Matchless(?).

The 441 wasn't terribly fast, but torquey, and a real hoot! The Royal Star handled better than the X75, but wasn't nearly as pretty. As my screen name implies, I'm a fan of the Yamaha 650 twins, and have several. I also have a big bore XT500 single. The Yamaha engines are much more robust than the old Brit stuff. The new Triumph Scrambler only looks similar to the old Triumphs. Its way better in every way except for weight.

As for saws in this thread, I'd buy the 460 even if it was a bit more $$. Bar interchangeablility would be a plus in that he already has a 361. I wouldn't buy a big saw on price alone. My own big saws are 066s that were used but rebuilt. They're overkill for firewood, but were intended for the mill and occasional big stuff.

I like the fact that there are aftermarket parts, including big bore, available for the 460. I realize that the 7900 BB is "in the works", but it hasn't made it to the market yet. The 460 is more "proven" to my way of thinking. I DO own Dolmar saws in blue in the way of the Makita DCS401 and 540, but were relatively inexpensive compare to a 7900 or 460.

No ****, I have a XT500, That was the only thing Dad had eber given me that was motorized!!! It had 1200 mi on it in 91 it was stored from 1976, it is in mint condition still, it shows some age but it is all there, I believe it is in the 500's for serial #'s. I've rode the crap out of all the way through HS, it has around 11k on it now, it's a bike that you can ride only 30 mi at a time before loosing feeling in the limbs:greenchainsaw:

Also the XT/TT were like the 441 victor with the big single dry sump motor with the oil in the frame, those are a classic also.
In one of the classic bike magazines recently they had a big write up on the XT/TT 500's. it was a good article.

Last edited:
No ****, I have a XT500, That was the only thing Dad had eber given me that was motorized!!! It had 1200 mi on it in 91 it was stored from 1976, it is in mint condition still, it shows some age but it is all there, I believe it is in the 500's for serial #'s. I've rode the crap out of all the way through HS, it has around 11k on it now, it's a bike that you can ride only 30 mi at a time before loosing feeling in the limbs:greenchainsaw:

Also the XT/TT were like the 441 victor with the big single dry sump motor with the oil in the frame, those are a classic also.
In one of the classic bike magazines recently they had a big write up on the XT/TT 500's. it was a good article.

I rode 65 or 70 miles on my Lightning one evening and it was 4 months before I had feeling in the ole sack again. In fact, that was 1970 and I'm not sure it's still the same.

Joat

PS: Those 441 Victors were climbers. Talk about torque!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back