going bigger. ms460 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not all Stihl dealers sell at MSRP... Madsens in WA is well known, as is the the huge dealer on the outskirts of Chicago... he'll sell you at 5-10% over cost... will give you a price over the phone, and even advertises his super low prices...

We only sell at MSRP to homeowners, and even then, throw in feebies and a discount for cash (verses Credit cards..).

Oh yes... if YOU (as in "YOU") came into my store, YOU would have to explain why YOU should get a discount....

Last edited:
nope.
you missed the point mr. hall. go re-read my post. i did not groan about the second dealer not having the saw. i only mentioned him to illustrate my trying the local boys. if they had had it maybe i would be deserving of a discout as a repeat saw-buying customer.

i was in my guys store a week ago and the price on the wall was 829.00. no way he sold one between then and now and has to mark up because his price went up. list price is a joke. go buy anything else (other than a saw) at list and you will be told you got raped.

Sorry for the late reply Volk, been selling Stihl Christmas gifts.

So let me get this striaght, list price is getting raped, how so? You pay list at the gas station, grocery store, the doctor, the drug store, the electric company, phone company, hell even at the 7/11 dontcha, haven't heard any complaints about their prices, only the Stihl dealers list prices.

Far as your other guy not having the saw in stock that you may have bought had he had it, isn't that the same guy who took your chain and kept your pouch and didn't register your 361. He did that to ya but if by chance he cut you some slack from your other guy you would buy from him instead. I'd say that shows its pure and simple, its all about price and thats fine, nothing wrong with that. I say just admit it and be cool about it. Hell its ok to be a discount shopper, I got no problem with it.

Sorry for the late reply Volk, been selling Stihl Christmas gifts.

Far as your other guy not having the saw in stock that you may have bought had he had it, isn't that the same guy who took your chain and kept your pouch and didn't register your 361. He did that to ya but if by chance he cut you some slack from your other guy you would buy from him instead. I'd say that shows its pure and simple, its all about price and thats fine, nothing wrong with that. I say just admit it and be cool about it. Hell its ok to be a discount shopper, I got no problem with it.

this is what i'm talking about.
what did i do right this morning?
are these not things i am supposed to do?

i asked my local dealer for the saw.
i called a dealer i do not want to buy anything from, because i would then be a 'deserving' repeat customer.
explain to me. right now. what is the right thing to do?

So let me get this straight, list price is getting raped, how so? You pay list at the gas station, grocery store, the doctor, the drug store, the electric company, phone company, hell even at the 7/11 dontcha, haven't heard any complaints about their prices, only the Stihl dealers list prices.

it.

Oh. and SONY (not gray market stuff).. And anyone else that has "unitary pricing"... which Stihl doesn't..

Not all Stihl dealers sell at MSRP... Madsens in WA is well known, as is the the huge dealer on the outskirts of Chicago... he'll sell you at 5-10% over cost... will give you a price over the phone, and even advertises his super low prices...

We only sell at MSRP to homeowners, and even then, throw in feebies and a discount for cash (verses Credit cards..).

Oh yes... if YOU (as in "YOU") came into my store, YOU would have to explain why YOU should get a discount....

if I (as in I) was in from time to time. bought my consumables from you. bought my parts from you. and never said a word to the negative to you.
i would still have to explain?

i see your concerns. if i were a pro with men and money held up on someone fixin my equipment service would be a problem. but i am just a guy cutting firewood. i have only ever had one saw serviced one time. the problem was a fluke at that. a factory defect that was promptly repaired by a member of AS and paid for by the manufacturer.

it has been made clear early on in this thread that my needs are more than filled with the stihls i already have. and that outside of warranty service all of my repairs are done in-house. so service to me is a non issue.

the other guys are saying that above all else i need to have a dealer, nearby, and stocking parts. don't forget that price is no object. i am the only guy they ever met who looks at a price tag. no one should have to explain to a dealer why they 'diserve' a discount. give me one or don't.

paul, keep your comments coming (not just here). i think you could be a value to AS.
:cheers:

I get where you are coming from. It's one of the points Stihl and us dealer had to weigh when making the choices both of us have. Fortunately for me Stihl's cooperate mentality is the same as ours. Support support support.

Honestly someone like you is the minority. It's also why other manufactures with other marketing strategies are out there and surviving. Hate to say this, but perhaps Husky or Johnsered would be a better fit for your needs. The option of several discount houses, online sales, and as you pointed out, you have little need for a stocking servicing dealer.

It's why we have a choice between chocolate and vinilla...one choice doesn't work for everyone.

On the other hand, everything is going to break at some point. For you having the mechanical ability and desire to fix things yourself it's not a big deal. For the majority of others out there, thats not an option. As I point out to my customers, theres a reason Mercedes has a service dept.

It's how things are handled once there is a problem that for the majority makes the difference. You are a rare exception. Perhaps conveying that independence to your dealer would help. Explain that you are one of those rare sell it and forget it customers. I know that with my customers, those that I know have their own mechanics, take care of their equipment, etc...I handle differently than those who are back to the shop every time a filter needs to be blown out and expect it for nothing since it's just a simple job.

One last thought for you. With your mentality and ability, why not go used? Hell rebuilt 460's (new P & C's, etc) go for ~$375-400 around here. 660's $500-600. 260's $250-300. Seems that would get you into the saw you want for the price that would seem to be more acceptable.

this is what i'm talking about.
what did i do right this morning?
are these not things i am supposed to do?

i asked my local dealer for the saw.
i called a dealer i do not want to buy anything from, because i would then be a 'deserving' repeat customer.
explain to me. right now. what is the right thing to do?

The right thing was simple. You let the guy tell you the price is on the tag and you gave up. Ya shoulda worked him some. This is the deserving part I'm telling you about. Work the guy some and get a discount. If you will not work him you don't deserve a discount. Hell its that simple.

I'm not saying beg or say please but work the guy. Same way I work my sales. If all I ever did is say what do you want I would never sell anything. There's a zillion things you could have said to get that guy on your side and chances are good he would have come down on the price for you, not because he owed it to you, but because you convinced him of just what you want, him going "hey I should give this guy a break".

Accpeting his "the price on the tag" was the start, not the end of the sale. Rest was up to you. Remember always, the price on the tag is the starting point, not the ending point....

I get where you are coming from. It's one of the points Stihl and us dealer had to weigh when making the choices both of us have. Fortunately for me Stihl's cooperate mentality is the same as ours. Support support support.

Honestly someone like you is the minority. It's also why other manufactures with other marketing strategies are out there and surviving. Hate to say this, but perhaps Husky or Johnsered would be a better fit for your needs. The option of several discount houses, online sales, and as you pointed out, you have little need for a stocking servicing dealer.

I think volks-man would be better off with the 7900. It's cheaper and will serve his needs better. If he'd been truly serious about buying the most saw for his money, he would have already put a handful of doo-goo in his hair, dressed up in his Sunday best, and driven down to Tom T. Hall's and plunked down cash money for a new 460. :clap:

It's why we have a choice between chocolate and vinilla...one choice doesn't work for everyone.

On the other hand, everything is going to break at some point. For you having the mechanical ability and desire to fix things yourself it's not a big deal. For the majority of others out there, thats not an option. As I point out to my customers, theres a reason Mercedes has a service dept.

It's how things are handled once there is a problem that for the majority makes the difference. You are a rare exception. Perhaps conveying that independence to your dealer would help. Explain that you are one of those rare sell it and forget it customers. I know that with my customers, those that I know have their own mechanics, take care of their equipment, etc...I handle differently than those who are back to the shop every time a filter needs to be blown out and expect it for nothing since it's just a simple job.

One last thought for you. With your mentality and ability, why not go used? Hell rebuilt 460's (new P & C's, etc) go for ~$375-400 around here. 660's $500-600. 260's $250-300. Seems that would get you into the saw you want for the price that would seem to be more acceptable.

good suggestion. i don't have a problem with used. i have made offers on a jred2171 and a 460 on the net. unfortunately ebay and the like can be rather inflated in regards to saw prices. (price tags again:) )
i check in with my local dealers from time to time and ask if they have any used saws in the 70+ cc catagory. as i stated before. i have never seen a used 046/460.
as for my local guy... he never sees me unless i want something. in friendship that is bad. in buisness i thought that was good!:cheers:

[/COLOR]

if I (as in I) was in from time to time. bought my consumables from you. bought my parts from you. and never said a word to the negative to you.

Explain? No. Ask, you betcha. If you don't I'm going to assume you're satisfied with the price structure you are buying at. I'm not going to offer to earn less, much as your not going to go to your boss "hey I just paid off my truck and have a few more dollars left at the end of the month, how about you reduce my wages a little to help with overhead".

Anyway, I've been known to be a bit tight from time to time. I take every discount offered my way. Both on purchases and payables. I know what I spend per month/year on consumables. My gas station, I ask for a house account backed up by my house credit card (so he pays less per transaction), he runs the card once or month whatever is better for him, and I get a 10% discount off pump price. Been doing it for years, everywhere I've lived and have never been turned down. I also purchase $4-600 per week in fuel.

So yes, you should have to ask.

[/COLOR]

Sure... I'd have probably spent $500 of my time answering your questions and selling you $32.68 of part over two years.. Time to get some back.

It's all in the eyes...

The right thing was simple. You let the guy tell you the price is on the tag and you gave up. Ya shoulda worked him some. This is the deserving part I'm telling you about. Work the guy some and get a discount. If you will not work him you don't deserve a discount. Hell its that simple.

I'm not saying beg or say please but work the guy. Same way I work my sales. If all I ever did is say what do you want I would never sell anything. There's a zillion things you could have said to get that guy on your side and chances are good he would have come down on the price for you, not because he owed it to you, but because you convinced him of just what you want, him going "hey I should give this guy a break".

Accpeting his "the price on the tag" was the start, not the end of the sale. Rest was up to you. Remember always, the price on the tag is the starting point, not the ending point....

are you sure that is the right thing to do?
i have a strong feeling that if i did get him to come down a few bucks (ten dollars off and i'll throw in a bottle of mix) and it was still too high i would then be a hang tag reader again.
so going back to the 361 dealer is a bad thing? i thought you guys took care of repeat customers.
see why i feel like i can do nothing right in this situation?:dizzy:

Sure... I'd have probably spent $500 of my time answering your questions and selling you $32.68 of part over two years.. Time to get some back.

It's all in the eyes...

i should have been more clear.
all i have ever done was ask him for X.
he hands me X.
i pay and walk out.
sometimes i call and or order X.
i come pay, pick it up and leave.
several times i asked if he had any bigger used saws.
with the exception of today i have never asked for anything and not bought it.

frankly i pick the brains of AS because i can.
i know better than to pester anyone i have to depend on for any service.
thats bad for everyone.

btw: i have thanked you for you info and will continue to do so as long as you offer it.:cheers:

Since you like working on them yourself why don't you make a 7900 from a used Home Crapo 6401. It's the best deal going!!
good idea.:)
you know i called a home depot 2+ hours away trying to find one. he said it will be spring before they replace again. i also called one in pa near a relative. theirs are not for sale yet either.
if it were only that easy!
:cheers:

mr. hall
you have met me (one face out of millions at the shop).
be brutaly honest.
how did i come across in person?
did i try anything underhanded or even mildly out of the way?

are you sure that is the right thing to do?
i have a strong feeling that if i did get him to come down a few bucks (ten dollars off and i'll throw in a bottle of mix) and it was still too high i would then be a hang tag reader again.
so going back to the 361 dealer is a bad thing? i thought you guys took care of repeat customers.
see why i feel like i can do nothing right in this situation?:dizzy:

Awwwwwww my man I do take very good care of my repeat customers, new customers and even customers I don't know that have driven many miles.

Time to show you how it works and why Stihl kills the competition year after year. Service after the sale not only gets you service it also gets you discounts. You become a regular providing your treated right. Your face becomes known and the discounts ususally come automaticly. Other words you become a human being, not another P.O. box having things delivered to your door.

I know you feel you will never really need service but trust me, one day you will and then what. Your saw breaks a .50 starter pawl. Three days in the mail you'll have one. 20 minute run over to the dealer you will have one, I'll take the second option there.

You shoulda said man I'd like to get that 460 but I just spent 71.00 with you, I don't have 879.00. That puts the salesman on the spot. Small simple things like that is working for your discount and there is nothing wrong with it but ya gotta work for em.

Back