going bigger. ms460 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
Reaction score
i want a bigger saw. me ms361 handles 9/10s of what i cut easily. i want a bigger saw. i have repeatedly failed to find an 038 mag and i have all but eliminated the 372xp. i think it has come down to 2 saws that suit me.
stihl ms460, dolmar 7900.

i want to run a 20 inch bar and i only cut hardwoods, mostly oak, cherry, and maple. i can get a 7900 or an ms460 for about the same price.

things i have gathered:
i understand the 7900 is lighter marginally than the stihl.
the 460 is a proven bulletproof design that many adore.
on paper the dolmar has the power advantage.
dolmar has no dealers near me (+ possible filtration probs?).

anyone who has run both saws? is there a handling/balance difference? can both be run hard all day or untill i give up? anything else i can learn about them would be terrific.
thanks!

Last edited:
Bowtie had a 7900, and ran my modded 046, he said they cut about the same with a 25" bar.
That made me want one, but.....................

I have ran them side by side

Made me want to keep my 7900 and made shipper 50 sell his 460 and go buy a 7900. LOL

Go 7900 if you want the most saw for your money...

i want a bigger saw. me ms361 handles 9/10s of what i cut easily. i want a bigger saw. i have repeatedly failed to find an 038 mag and i have all but eliminated the 372xp. i think it has come down to 2 saws that suit me.

i want to run a 20 inch bar and i only cut hardwoods, mostly oak, cherry, and maple. i can get a 7900 or an ms460 for about the same price.

things i have gathered:
dolmar has no dealers near me.

anyone who has run both saws? is there a handling/balance difference? can both be run hard all day or untill i give up? anything else i can learn about them would be terrific.
thanks!

I looked into the 372 and 460 before I bought my 7900. I know the die-hard fans will always pick their brand of choice, but I'm not really loyal to any one brand... I just want the most tool for my money. At just under $640 out the door with a 20" bar (what I paid for my 7900), the Husky or the Stihl cant touch the 7900 for bang for the $ IMO... or in the wood either for that matter.

All three are nice handling saws and are fairly smooth. All have a decent amount of power, but the 7900 easily out powers the other two. All three are very reliable pro level saws that can be run day in and day out.

I am lucky enough to have a Dolmar dealer relatively close to me, so the lack of dealer support (the biggest concern about buying a Dolmar IMO) wasn't much of an issue for me. I do know the dealer I bought from will ship saws, so that's an option if you don't have a local dealer. As far a parts go, there are plenty of dealers around that can ship you a part within 24 hours if you need something, but I haven't had a single problem with mine.

BTW, any of the three will run circles around the 361, the 7900 just does it even quicker. ;)

Last edited:
I've run both and still use a 7900 at work. The differences between the two saws, power-wise, is significant. A 460 is an awesome unit, but the 7900 leaves me grinning. If it weren't for that dealer thing, there would be no question which saw to buy. And I'm slowly learning (like most of you have already learned) that it's a big issue.

BTW, either your finding really expensive 7900's or cheap 460's because around here there's about a $150 difference between the two.

I've run both and still use a 7900 at work. The differences between the two saws, power-wise, is significant. A 460 is an awesome unit, but the 7900 leaves me grinning. If it weren't for that dealer thing, there would be no question which saw to buy. And I'm slowly learning (like most of you have already learned) that it's a big issue.

BTW, either your finding really expensive 7900's or cheap 460's because around here there's about a $150 difference between the two.

i found them plus or minus a few beans. i figured the prices i got were fair. what do they normally run?

idk about dealer support, if u can change a bar and chain out u can fix a carb..u cant beat the power/$$$ ratio...as far as im concerned im the one who is doing the supporting of the dealers with my $$$. They have always tried to back themselves out of warrenty work, there isn't a part that cant be ordered online.when i was younger i thought that if i bought my stuff from 1 or 2 places they would take care of me in the long run, boy was i nieve.

It's a tough choice. 7900 wins the price performance and handling category but 460 has served the test of time and has the support infrastructure in place. (dealer, used parts, aftermarket parts, etc).

Dolmars are great saws but they have some minor annoyances whereas the pro Stihls just seem a little more more refined.

Maybe you should stick with Stihl so you can interchange bars in case one gets pinched.

Last edited:
It's a tough choice. 7900 wins the price performance and handling category but 460 has served the test of time and has the support infrastructure in place. (dealer, used parts, aftermarket parts, etc).

Dolmars are great saws but they have some minor annoyances whereas the pro Stihls just seem a little more more refined.

Maybe you should stick with Stihl so you can interchange bars.

what mount are dolmar bars anyway? :confused: never thought of that.

things i have gathered:
dolmar has no dealers near me (+ possible filtration probs?).

thanks!

I say forget em both. Hell I gotem both and neither one see much use. You got a 026 and a 361. The next choice should be a 660 and be done with it. Thats a perfect three saw set up and all the saws you will ever need no matter what your cutting. Ya get a 7900 or a 460 mark my word you will want more power later on. Go ahead and get the big boy and never look back.

The Dolmar uses a Husky bar.

Tom has a point, to a point. Getting up there in years, and my back getting worse every year, the pounds are starting to count to me!!! Getting soft in the middle I guess?
I love running my 046, it cuts so fast and rips it up. But anymore, I cut as much as I can with my 350!! That 046 hurts after a while, expecially with the 32" on it! I would love to find something that weighs the same as the 350 with a 20" bar and balls galore:hmm3grin2orange:

I ran Bowtie's 064, seemed to weigh about the same to me, and honestly cut smoother!!!!
Handling his 361 and 044 I didn't notice that much difference in weight between them.
I don't have the answer, but handle as many as you can, and run as many as you can then pick thebest choice for you!!

I say forget em both. Hell I gotem both and neither one see much use. You got a 026 and a 361. The next choice should be a 660 and be done with it. Thats a perfect three saw set up and all the saws you will ever need no matter what your cutting. Ya get a 7900 or a 460 mark my word you will want more power later on. Go ahead and get the big boy and never look back.

the 660 weighs about a quarter of my body weight!!!:dizzy: besides the price point! i am set on a 460 or 7900 or maybe, just maybe a 372xp.

although i would have bought that 660 the other day lightly used form my local stihl dealer for $450.00. darned stihl dealers... but thats a different thread.;)

I agree with this guy. Owning a 361 and a few 460's and have ran some 7900's I will say that the 660 should be the next step for you.

The Dolmar uses a Husky bar.

Tom has a point, to a point. Getting up there in years, and my back getting worse every year, the pounds are starting to count to me!!! Getting soft in the middle I guess?
I love running my 046, it cuts so fast and rips it up. But anymore, I cut as much as I can with my 350!! That 046 hurts after a while, expecially with the 32" on it! I would love to find something that weighs the same as the 350 with a 20" bar and balls galore:hmm3grin2orange:

I ran Bowtie's 064, seemed to weigh about the same to me, and honestly cut smoother!!!!
Handling his 361 and 044 I didn't notice that much difference in weight between them.
I don't have the answer, but handle as many as you can, and run as many as you can then pick thebest choice for you!!

i can't test a 7900. the nearest dealer is 105 miles as the crow flies. but i can relate on the weight issue. i am (only) 32 and occasionaly i have cripppling back pain (im in construction). every now and then the 361 hurts me, not often but enough. i never thought i would agree with sawtroll but every ounce seems to make a difference.

the 660 weighs about a quarter of my body weight!!!:dizzy: besides the price point! i am set on a 460 or 7900 or maybe, just maybe a 372xp.

although i would have bought that 660 the other day lightly used form my local stihl dealer for $450.00. darned stihl dealers... but thats a different thread.;)

That right, well hell. Let me tell ya sumthing ole boy. I got the 046, nice saw, bout 11-12 yrs old now, never had a issue with it. Got the 7900 too, haven't run it all that much but its a powerhouse, it will boogie. Got the 372 as well, runs good, leaks like a bi-ch but still runs good. Fired up one of my never started 660's a few weeks ago for the first time. What a shock. First tank of fuel and it will walk on past all of the other three with ease. Hell its not even close. Weight wise, yup the 660 is heavier but think for a moment, outside of falling and bucking part of the tree none of these big saws are going to see as much use as the smaller saws. Thats why ya got the smaller saws,grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

372XP is not a very good choice since you already have a MS361. I'd simply want more seperation in the lineup. (460, 7900 or 660).

7900 gives you that power seperation but doesn't weight much more then 372XP.

My 460 will outrun most 7900's and it seems really fast and powerful in the cut....Until I get the muffler modded 066 out and then the others feel like toys.

I continue to use the smaller saws for the limbing and smaller felling/bucking, but when you need a big saw you can't have too much power. When I'm packing a saw on my shoulder a mile from the truck I always grab the 066. Rather get out there and have too much saw then go man I wish i had something bigger.

372XP is not a very good choice since you already have a MS361. I'd simply want more seperation in the lineup. (460, 7900 or 660).

7900 gives you that power seperation but doesn't weight much more then 372XP.

gave and still giving the 372 some thought. i put in an offer on the used jred 2171 a few days ago but owner wants too much!! and on a new 372 i got a good price from a good guy.... but i think for the money the 372 is just out classed by the 7900. i have never run either but i hear things;)

more to the point.... i want a big power diference too!:clap:

Back