going bigger. ms460 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awwwwwww my man I do take very good care of my repeat customers, new customers and even customers I don't know that have driven many miles.

Time to show you how it works and why Stihl kills the competition year after year. Service after the sale not only gets you service it also gets you discounts. You become a regular providing your treated right. Your face becomes known and the discounts ususally come automaticly. Other words you become a human being, not another P.O. box having things delivered to your door.

I know you feel you will never really need service but trust me, one day you will and then what. Your saw breaks a .50 starter pawl. Three days in the mail you'll have one. 20 minute run over to the dealer you will have one, I'll take the second option there.

You shoulda said man I'd like to get that 460 but I just spent 71.00 with you, I don't have 879.00. That puts the salesman on the spot. Small simple things like that is working for your discount and there is nothing wrong with it but ya gotta work for em.

Tommie,

So what yer sayin' is VM needs to bring ...... wait a minute .... get my calculator brain in gear ....... 879 plus 71 ..... let's see ..... 9 and 1 is 10 ... so, bring down the 0 and carry the 1 ..... 7 plus 7 plus the 1 we carried ..... ah, 15 ... so bring down the 5 and carry the 1 .... now, the 8 plus ... oh yeah the 1 we carried, so 9 ... OK ..... VM bring 950 plus the Virginny govment's share.

Happy shoppin',

Joat

Tommie,

So what yer sayin' is VM needs to bring ...... wait a minute .... get my calculator brain in gear ....... 879 plus 71 ..... let's see ..... 9 and 1 is 10 ... so, bring down the 0 and carry the 1 ..... 7 plus 7 plus the 1 we carried ..... ah, 15 ... so bring down the 5 and carry the 1 .... now, the 8 plus ... oh yeah the 1 we carried, so 9 ... OK ..... VM bring 950 plus the Virginny govment's share.

Happy shoppin',

Joat

LOL, Joat your such a cruel man, LOLOL

mr. hall
you have met me (one face out of millions at the shop).
be brutaly honest.
how did i come across in person?
did i try anything underhanded or even mildly out of the way?

Not at all, you was fine. Was my intent to fix ya up, go to bat for ya and I did. I didn't try to sell you anything, seems the name of the game was get that saw fixed up and thats what I did.

Ya didn't try to buy a saw but seeing how you shy away from going after your discount I woulda had fun with ya, I'm probly easier to deal with than most, I like a good fuss for discounts, I enjoy the battle of wits, especailly when I win 99% of the time,LOL

good suggestion. i don't have a problem with used. i have made offers on a jred2171 and a 460 on the net. unfortunately ebay and the like can be rather inflated in regards to saw prices. (price tags again:) )
i check in with my local dealers from time to time and ask if they have any used saws in the 70+ cc catagory. as i stated before. i have never seen a used 046/460.
as for my local guy... he never sees me unless i want something. in friendship that is bad. in buisness i thought that was good!:cheers:

One possible work around for you then. Most of our rebuilds come from tree services. Most of these guys have dozens of old saws under the bench, in the back room, out in the shed. Hell half the time they don't even know why they are there.

They pull plastic off them, recoils, filters, etc to keep other saws going.

If your dealer isn't willing to offer you a used or rebuildable saw...go get one yourself :) Make a few phone calls. Hell if you cut firewood, you most likely already know a few of the tree guys in your area (if you don't you damn well should...firewood is debris to these guys).

See where I'm going with this...

But please, stay the hell off crap-bay for saws. I can not tell you the number of saws brought to me that someone picked up for a good deal and what I've seen done to these saws to make em "ready to go to work". Best case consider anything you buy off there to be for parts only.

LOL, Joat your such a cruel man, LOLOL

Tommie,

Yep, you nailed it. Some people are put off by the higher up front cost of quality. I prefer to take a long term view, but as they say .....

Different two-strokes for different folks™,

Joat

Tommie,

Yep, you nailed it. Some people are put off by the higher up front cost of quality. I prefer to take a long term view, but as they say .....

Joat

I know whatcha mean Joat. This past summer I had a man walk in the door covered in concrete dust. Construction worker. He asks do you work on Mikita saws, I said nope, sure don't. He goes your Stihl only, I go yup. He goes dayummm. I go whats the problem. He says I'm doing a sidewalk job down the street and the f-cking saw just quit. I go bring it in here.

Sure enuff no compression at all. I said she's done. He goes where can I take it to get it fixed. I said your guess is as good as mine for I don't know of any shops around Leesburg that work on those. I asked where'd ya buy it at, online. I said well you may be able to go online and find a place somewhere that will work on it. He goes screw that, I gotta get this job done this week. He thought for a minute and solved his own problem.

He goes you got concrete saws in stock. I go sure do. $1029.95, 10 minutes, he's out the door with a new TS400 and a promise that if it ever needs anything just bring it back where he bought it.

I'd lay money he never got that other saw fixed. He probably pitched it after finding out the hard way everything that glitters (cheap) is not gold.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Volks, didn't you say the guy had $829 last week and $879 this week?
I think your answer should have been, "it was $829 a week ago, if you sell it to me for $829, I've got the cash here".

Whats the HP? 6 speed?
The 150 i have has the best econ figures of all the TDIs apart from the 90 hp.
Yep at 80 it still does 47MPG the speedo is 2 mph out so thats 80 on the sat nav:)

Whose gallons are you using for MPG calculations? Ours are only 3.79L.

Huh? Weak? Martians are cool. How many have you met that are flakes? :chainsaw:

Thank you.

I know whatcha mean Joat. This past summer I had a man walk in the door covered in concrete dust. Construction worker. He asks do you work on Mikita saws, I said nope, sure don't. He goes your Stihl only, I go yup. He goes dayummm. I go whats the problem. He says I'm doing a sidewalk job down the street and the f-cking saw just quit. I go bring it in here.

Sure enuff no compression at all. I said she's done. He goes where can I take it to get it fixed. I said your guess is as good as mine for I don't know of any shops around Leesburg that work on those. I asked where'd ya buy it at, online. I said well you may be able to go online and find a place somewhere that will work on it. He goes screw that, I gotta get this job done this week. He thought for a minute and solved his own problem.

He goes you got concrete saws in stock. I go sure do. $1029.95, 10 minutes, he's out the door with a new TS400 and a promise that if it ever needs anything just bring it back where he bought it.

I'd lay money he never got that other saw fixed. He probably pitched it after finding out the hard way everything that glitters (cheap) is not gold.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Tommie,

Demi's not gonna like you revealing secrets on a public forum.

Joat

Tommie,

Joat

So are you saying the 7900 won't last very long, that it's long term quality is not good? How long will it last, 1 year 2?? I seen where someone said they have cut around 200 cord with there 7900 so far, so if he cuts an avg. of 5 cord a year that saw should last him 40 years if it were to last only for 200 cord. I think were fine;)

So are you saying the 7900 won't last very long?

Ging,

Not at all. I have suggested that VM try both and pick the one he wants, not the one that costs the least per horsepower or some other such nonsense.

How long will it last, 1 year 2?

From the way it appears that VM will use it, the saw would last a very long time in my opinion. I must say that I've owned a Makita 6401 but never a Dolmar and never a 7900.

I seen where someone said they have cut around 200 cord with there 7900 so far, so if he cuts an avg. of 5 cord a year that saw should last him 40 years if it were to last only for 200 cord. I think were fine;)

I agree.

Now, my point has been that the 460 is a great, proven saw backed by a huge dedicated network of dealers. You just can't go wrong by buying the 460. Nothing wrong with the 7900. Now, the little difference in cut speed should not be the biggest factor in determining the saw for an ocassional user. I'd consider:

1. Will it do the job for which it is intended?

2. How does it feel to you.

3. Is it reliable?

4. How will repairs and parts be sourced?

5. Bar compatibility with other saws.

6. Resale value because many on AS are always buying and selling saws? You remember Stan?

I felt that VM was basically sayin', "I want that 460 if I can find it CHEAP enough, but if not I want the 7900".

Get what you want and avoid "buyer's blues",

Joat

PS: I see from you sig you're into BSAs and Triumphs. I miss my old Lightning and Bonneville.

admittedly i know very little about logging and cutting in general :help: . but, ax-men as a learning tool? even I know better! ;)

Oh you learned... words like Skyline, Landing etc... mix those in with a heavy dose of cussing, and you're almost there:greenchainsaw:

I felt that VM was basically sayin', "I want that 460 if I can find it CHEAP enough, but if not I want the 7900".

Get what you want and avoid "buyer's blues",

Joat

PS: I see from you sig you're into BSAs and Triumphs. I miss my old Lightning and Bonneville.

I know where VM coming from, that was my atitude also. I wanted the 460 also and back during the summer months, you couldn't convience me otherwise 460 or nothing, and I really like my local hole in the wall dealer. He gave a good price on it compared to the other fancier dealers I've bought a new saw there last year. But I just couldn't convience myself I needed to spend 850.00 total. By fall I started wondering about the 7900 but like the complaint of everyone ther is really no dealers around, until I came across a local amish Dolmar dealer and they let me try it out, I had ran a 460 in the past and didn't remember it running that strong but there was lots of variables there also, but anyway after I found out what I could get one for I was sold, I feel it is a quality built German saw, it doesn't look or feel cheap in any manner, there is a few dislikes I have but I don't know if it is a problem just design differences I'm not used to. (chain adj.) and the bucking dogs, (just ugly) Maybe in a few years I can vouche for the long term use.
I just don't see where someone would be disappointed cutting firewood with that saw. Maybe someday I'll come across a nice used 460, because I stihl think they are beautiful saws:)

I've rode a BSA lighting, that is a nice bike. I really like the old thumpers the best. But a british twin is to fall in love with:cheers:

Back