Going to Germany, Should I get a Spliting axe??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildeman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any Ideas or suggestions. Its the only souvenir I can think i would want other than beer. I am going for 10 days in May and have no idea other than what I see when i search for Germany Axe. I guessing I can get one there for much less and put in my carry-on on the way home:laugh: or in my bag or ship it home. My wife will of course think this is crazy but i would rather have something useful as apposed to some crap to sit on a shelf. I don't want to spend a lot say 80-150 MAX (If wife lets me) dollars not euros.

They are talking about allowing small knives on the plane but maybe an axe is trying to push it a little too far.. Might want to check out their chainsaws while you are over there… How big is your carry-on. :laugh:

i am going to Germany too but for 3 years (military move). I am kind of sad to leave all my firewood tools behind. I read they are very strict overthere regarding firewood :rolleyes2:

They are talking about allowing small knives on the plane but maybe an axe is trying to push it a little too far.. Might want to check out their chainsaws while you are over there… How big is your carry-on. :laugh:

Humm...saw? I didn't think of that, in the overhead it might work, but I really want a cool axe, for no other reason than I want it, I don't really need it but this will be my only chance to do this.

Maybe just the head.

Humm...saw? I didn't think of that, in the overhead it might work, but I really want a cool axe, for no other reason than I want it, I don't really need it but this will be my only chance to do this.

Maybe you could purchase just the head and either check baggage it or ship it to yourself. Then handle it here at home.:msp_thumbsup: Not sure it would make it through the post 9/11 checks though. See what Brown can do for you.

Your only chance of getting either of them on a plane is if you check it as baggage. No way you will be able to carry either on a plane. Good luck.

Last I looked, you could get a good buy here (USA) on an Oxhead maul, with Stihl labeling. "PA80" model, 3 kg head, for $80-something. How 'bout that? A bargain from Stihl.

If I didn't have a Mueller 3 kg maul, I'd go for the Stihl.

Around $120 elsewhere. Minor differences, like how the handle's fixed in the head.

Hallo, kann ich eine Spaltaxt? Werden Sie als Geschenk zu verpacken es für mich? :msp_sneaky: (Google translate is the only way I could do that!)

Before 911, I carried a tool bag on. They were concerned if I had a hammer in it. Never mind the 12" adjustable wrench! They were on target with utility knives too of which I had one. They asked if I could take the blade out. I went to grab my bag to get a screwdriver and the guy got all excited. I assured him I was only getting a screwdriver. I opened the knife, removed the blade and went to put the it in the storage compartment with the other two blades. He said, "I need that blade.", I guess he needed to have something to show his boss that day.

I hope someday the little old ladies can keep their nail clippers and crochet scissors.

Ya thats cool...hey, while youre there, can you grab me a drop nose porsche?

uh huh..I think I could afford the valve stems....

I dont drink, so beer, meh, tell ya whut though, if I went there Id be hitting up all the craft sausage makers, sampling that.

I have NO idea why I am not a fat roly poly little guy, I eat like two hogs and a moose...

German Axe Makers

An online search produced three German Axe Makers. There certainly may be more, especially small makers with little or no International presence.

Aberl, Traditional hand forged axes, 82467 Garmisch-Partenkirchen / Germany, south, near the Western Austrian border.

Helko, Very cool Axes, 42342 Wuppertal / Germany, western, towards Dusseldorf

Ochsenkoph, of the GEDORE Group GmbH & Co. KG, "Germany's Oldest Axe Forge" and likely the largest manufacturer, with a hug selection of axes. Stihl re-brands the “Iltis” line of Ochsenkopf axes for sale in the US. Located in Remscheid, western, near Dusseldorf.

Current exchange rate is €1.00 = $1.31US
German VAT on Merchandise purchases, 19%

A €100 axe purchased at point of sale in Germany would cost €100 x 1.19 (VAT) = €119 x 1.31 = $155.89US

Sounds like a fun trip! Let us know what souvenir you make it back with...

Current exchange rate is €1.00 = $1.31US
German VAT on Merchandise purchases, 19%

A €100 axe purchased at point of sale in Germany would cost €100 x 1.19 (VAT) = €119 x 1.31 = $155.89US

Sounds like a fun trip! Let us know what souvenir you make it back with...

I used to go to Wuppertal every year.

Just to be clear that pretty much everywhere outside the US shows prices including taxes.

I used to go to Wuppertal every year.

Just to be clear that pretty much everywhere outside the US shows prices including taxes.

Friends have been after me to visit Germany for some time, but when I do I'd like to extend the stay in order to visit much of the country. So far, I've not managed to arrange that much time away. Hopefully soon...

Thanks for the clarification on VAT being included at most retail outlets, so the price you see is the price you pay. Unless.....

Online, many retailers list both VAT included and VAT excluded. Because some items are exported to the US and sold for $X dollars here, the "purchased at point of sale" figures were meant to help with a true comparison of pricing on those items, for example, the “Iltis” line of Ochsenkopf axes that Stihl imports and sells here. Many other products are not exported to the US. At times it's possible to buy in Germany without paying the VAT, IF the item is then directly shipped home, and this savings can, depending on purchase price, cover some or all of the shipping costs back to the States.

Being fully informed can lead to better decision making....

Back