Going to make an offer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor is up in age (80) and some what well off. I get all my wood from his property free of charge,so when I get the chance I do what he needs around the house and vehicle maintenance too. As I was repairing his shelving in the garage, I moved a book case and behind it was a Stihl MS361 in a case. My question is, what should I offer him? I never knew he had this saw the whole time I have known him.
I think I'd leave the saw where it was and act like you never uncovered it, sometimes older people are guarded and the guy might feel as though you where snooping.

I think I'd leave the saw where it was and act like you never uncovered it, sometimes older people are guarded and the guy might feel as though you where snooping.
Or he wont mind if he's got a good relationship with the guy. Maybe ask him if he's willing to part with it. Or at least ask him if you can put some fresh gas and oil in it and use it on his property to cut with.

Oh come on, you guys. Let it go already. I laughed at his first comment - it was obviously a joke. No need for everyone to get into a peeing contest over it.

And I agree with the first piece of advice - ask him if he wants to get rid of it and what he wants for it.

I've often used the, "I noticed you have a ?????, if you ever decide to get rid of it I might be interested". It lets them know you are interested without putting them on the spot at the moment. I have had people tell me to take it if you have a use for it, it's just collecting dust. One I have in the works right now is a Jonsered 2150 with less than 2 hours run time. He hasn't started it for several years and won't sell it if it doesn't run. He is taking it to his dealer friend to get it running and is looking to get $50 for it. Time will tell. I would ask, can't hurt.

This is how I got my second C5 (first one was my dad's/grandpa's). My neighbor had it and a newer small saw that he normally used. I was about 14 and asked him if he would sell it. He said no. Two years later he hired me to rake his yard. I said I would but I didn't want money just that old saw. Done deal. Once I got it running and my hearing returned I could see why he preferred a newer model but it was still a cool saw.

I have it and have used it with his permission. The bar is like new as well as the saw. He didn't know he had it. I can use any of his Kubotas, along with his other equipment too. This winter he let me use his pick up because I usually ride a motorcycle. His wife is divorcing him because he is in the beginning of alzheimers and she got tired of answering the same questions twice. She tried to get $500k out of him or she said she would take the house.
Yes, I will ask him.

Oh come on, you guys. Let it go already. I laughed at his first comment - it was obviously a joke. No need for everyone to get into a peeing contest over it.

And I agree with the first piece of advice - ask him if he wants to get rid of it and what he wants for it.
Anybody with a half a brain would have seen it as nothing more than a joke, but there are people that look for negative stuff to complain about, it's what they do.

Or he wont mind if he's got a good relationship with the guy. Maybe ask him if he's willing to part with it. Or at least ask him if you can put some fresh gas and oil in it and use it on his property to cut with.
They sound like they have a good relationship .. he starts offering money for things he likes laying around this guys property and that could change.

a friendly relationship is one thing. when money comes into play the friend-ship seems to split! it's like selling something dirt cheap, then a relative finds out it's for sale and wants it for a lesser price ! then after buying/paying for the item, an it don't work like new all hell is going to pay for the cheap piece of junk you sold to them!! selling is a business an profit. friendships, are for doing one for another with out profit or gain! just ask what he is going to do with it .....

I agree, his post (#3) was a joke. But his disrespect for peace officers (they are not "pigs"), and everyone else for that matter, makes him nothing more than a lowlife punk. If anyone has doubts about what I just said, pull up his posts and in short order you will see what I'm talking about. He brings absolutely NOTHING to this site except street thug behavior.

The old guy might just give it to you, that's what I'd do if I was 80. Find some way to pay him back like saying "hello in there" and find out what he needs or if you can take him to town for shopping etc.
Old timers are always good people and have great stories to tell. It's a shame when all the knowledge they have is mostly gone when they pass away.
Hats off to old timers.
John

Latest posts

Back