Going to run out of wood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there are plenty of places to get slab wood near you, not the best, but it is cheap. I saw a few places cruising around this summer on the job right off of 127 and 51. There is also a mill near Hoyleton. good luck

Well, I underestimated this year, and it looks like I'll be out of wood in mid-January. I already burned all the elm and maple, and now I'm onto the stuff I was saving for the cold months - oak, hickory and mulberry. Got less than a cord left. :msp_sad:

Oh well. Maybe I can steal some from my neighbor, but now that he's got his own pickup, he won't be borrowing mine anymore, which means I will feel more guilty for stealing his wood. Can't be helped. Maybe I'll give him a can of 2-stroke oil in return. :D

hi,in aus today temp 17c ,almost xmas usually 30c temp,. cold summer this year.usually cut 400 ton to sell for winter but long range predicts cool right thru till next spring 2012,must cut,split 550 ton to not run short.selling loads and plenty bags now and its summer?,customers are worried good wood will be in short supply,always get wood, while u can,u just never know what,s comming weather wise . cheers good cutting.:biggrin:

That hung up dead ash I got down yesterday is going to be a big help. The top was a bit punky, but the larger lower bits were quite nice. Actually got my son to help me haul it down to the house, so I could keep on quartering it. I put in a brighter bulb in the light post by splitting block at the house, and the weather looks good for this week, so I should be able to get that pile split up in the evenings. I'll stack that for use at the end of the season and it should be fine by then.

"Stealing" or borrowing wood from your neighbor is just about the worst thing that you can do. That means that you cannot plan on what you really need. Think about the long run implications. Sorry, but I am firm on this issue.

Hey, I was just joshin' on that. He's one of my closest friends, and we scrounge together. He'd give me the shirt off his back, and no wonder, because the last time he counted, he had over 150 of them. (Really!) I'm bugged about him at the moment, for he went and bought himself a truck, so now he won't need to borrow mine anymore! :mad: He's a much better scrounger than I am, being retired and having the time to drive around smelling for it like some kind of Lord of the Rings Woodwraith.

I haven't stolen anything since 1989, and I was so nervous and scared when I did it, that I vowed never to steal again.
Actually I made that vow some years earlier when I was in 5th grade and a convenience store opened up only a mile away. All the local kids were shoplifting from it, and egging others on to do the same, and I gave in to peer pressure. Stole a little lighter that had a retractable pen in it. It was pretty neat, only I didn't like blue ink, and didn't smoke, so it wasn't of much use to me, but I still kept it.

The worst part was when my older brother took it and put it in his room. I found it and complained to him. My dad overheard me complaining, and decided he'd had enough of my brother's stealing and decided to whip him for it. I usually liked it when my older brother got a whipping, but this time I felt really bad. I'm the one who stole it, and yet he got the beating. I decided stealing just wasn't worth it, and I only stole one thing since then, and that was in High School(in '89) when it just sort of 'happened,' but there's nothing interesting about that story so I won't bore you with it.

And if you read this far, you can go to my website, Home and if you can find the part that tells what kind of peanut butter I like, then I'll give you some free advice - absolutely free!

Hey, I was just joshin' on that. He's one of my closest friends, and we scrounge together. He'd give me the shirt off his back, and no wonder, because the last time he counted, he had over 150 of them. (Really!) I'm bugged about him at the moment, for he went and bought himself a truck, so now he won't need to borrow mine anymore! :mad: He's a much better scrounger than I am, being retired and having the time to drive around smelling for it like some kind of Lord of the Rings Woodwraith.

I haven't stolen anything since 1989, and I was so nervous and scared when I did it, that I vowed never to steal again.
Actually I made that vow some years earlier when I was in 5th grade and a convenience store opened up only a mile away. All the local kids were shoplifting from it, and egging others on to do the same, and I gave in to peer pressure. Stole a little lighter that had a retractable pen in it. It was pretty neat, only I didn't like blue ink, and didn't smoke, so it wasn't of much use to me, but I still kept it.

The worst part was when my older brother took it and put it in his room. I found it and complained to him. My dad overheard me complaining, and decided he'd had enough of my brother's stealing and decided to whip him for it. I usually liked it when my older brother got a whipping, but this time I felt really bad. I'm the one who stole it, and yet he got the beating. I decided stealing just wasn't worth it, and I only stole one thing since then, and that was in High School(in '89) when it just sort of 'happened,' but there's nothing interesting about that story so I won't bore you with it.

And if you read this far, you can go to my website, Home and if you can find the part that tells what kind of peanut butter I like, then I'll give you some free advice - absolutely free!

Crunchy!

I been running out of wood for 42 years. Oh well, I am still alive and still gathering wood. It happens.

My first year I cut on a big dead cotton wood in New Mexico. The tree was a hundred foot from the adobe dwelling, I had a single bit Axe, two wood stoves and a cook stove to fuel.

I felt great if I was two or three days ahead. Some days we went to bead cold and woke up hungry.

If I could get the cook stove going it warmed the front part of the house and cooked the food.

My second year I cut in Tennessee with a bow saw, lived in a n Army and went to bed every night when the fire burned out.

Started all over the next day got warm and then went to work.

Uncle Moustache, you've been spending too much time on AS and not out in the woods!

Mr Moustache you got to get your s__t together........now. An order.
Hey, this is the "Firewood.......and Wood Heating..." Forum, not a whinefest.
Ain't cute, here at least.:(

So here's the drill, THE rule, free from the mount:

You think of sex on the average at least once per minute. Yes ?
Then, if and only if you honestly heat with wood, you should be thinking about wood at least as often as sex.
:sweat3:

True confession: we cut now for winter 2013. The rest of the year ? Sex, cruising the woodlands, sex, wind cuts, marking firewood trees, sex, drink, doing odd cutings, climbs, meets, sex, gear maintenance.........................................................................................................................................................

Just do it.

We have a winner! Here's your free advice (nobody else read this - it's for zogger): Don't eat yellow snow. Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco. Never make eye contact when eating a banana. Always pee downwind. And finally, if you ever start thinking you're somebody important, try ordering someone elses' dog around.

Mr Moustache you got to get your s__t together........now. An order.
Hey, this is the "Firewood.......and Wood Heating..." Forum, not a whinefest.

Yeah, right! I'm the only one here who has ever whined!! :laugh::laugh:

You think of sex on the average at least once per minute. Yes ?
Then, if and only if you honestly heat with wood, you should be thinking about wood at least as often as sex.

True confession: we cut now for winter 2013. The rest of the year ? Sex, cruising the woodlands, sex, wind cuts, marking firewood trees, sex, drink, doing odd cutings, climbs, meets, sex, gear maintenance......Just do it.

Well, when I was younger I probably thought about it that much, but now that I'm past 40, I don't think of it much. When one has a gorgeous wife with a personal philosophy of "always say yes whenever possible" then there comes a point when the man gets it often enough so that he doesn't have to think about it so much. Of course, the 'over forty' aspect may have something to do with it as well!

To be honest, on average I usually go most of the day without thinking about it. As a handyman with a huge family, I've got many other things to occupy my thoughts - that and the fact that I listen to my MP3 player all day - lectures, sermons, books, and the occasional opera. (Yeah, really - opera! I have a Masters degree in vocal performance. I could sing you through the wall, buddy!)

And as to thinking about sex as often as wood - I will say that I load the stove about 5 times a day. I certainly couldn't keep up with that rate!! :msp_scared:

Got Wood!

Had a bit of luck today. Buddy of mine saw a Facebook post I made advertising a discount for standing dead wood trees to take out. He didn't have a tree, but he did have a renter who moved out and left a pile of wood:

attachment.php

Some good stuff here - lots of oak and mulberry, some maple, and a few unknowns. Some of it is getting close to being too old, but I'm certainly not going to complain. Got a couple weeks worth here at any rate.

Now that's what I call scrounging - sit at home on my butt and wait for others to give me what I need! I like this! Where's the nearest Occupy event??? :laugh::D:laugh:

View attachment 211263

Our forecast looks wet and warm = muddy. The boy's and I cleaned out the west rows of wood out of the wood shed. It is time to bring some more in from Dad's. We are burning mostly ash this year from a monster tree I took down two years ago. It was about the only thing I got to cut that year (too much snow).

We did some red elm "hunting" last weekend and found several caches of standing dead or recently fallen specimens to gather. One of the guys I cut with is in need of wood, so elm is high on the list.

I wish you luck in your scrounging.

Don

I wuz Wrong Uncle

OK, Uncle you got it. They will bring it to you AND you can keep thinking about sex year-round .:laugh:

However, this is a big one: when and if I start to burn "old, rotten, punky wood " for questionable heat, is when I will enjoy and practice virtual sex.
Both give nada in satisfaction......Sing along with the LB --" I ain't got no....................." :shame3:

You're in a big urban area. There must be many woodworkers, cabinetmakers, millers, construction sites, factory home builders with good hardwood scraps. Then there are highway crews, arborists (like "arboristsite", get it ? ), loggers, site developers. This is free for you.:popcorn:

This is kinda like your scriptures: "give a man a fish........."

I do not get it!!!!

Do not burn green wood,

Do not burn wet punky wood.

I just heat my house any way it is convenient for me at the time.

Some times it green, sometimes is wet and punky, and some times it is 10% moisture perfectly dried hard wood.

I live in a oak Forrest, and always seek out my worst wood???????

PS if th op needs wood I live in your state and can hook you up, for free.

Last edited:
Wood pyramid

If everybody on this site shipped a couple a splits to Unclestache he would have at least 3 or 4 cords, enough to get him through the winter. Also to keep shipping cost down, the wood would be perfectly seasoned and he could use the cardboard packing as kindling. Just think he would receive enough wood every day to keep his 15 children (guessing on the number since his wife never says no) warm. Sign up sheet to follow with the Staches name and mine at the top.

If everybody on this site shipped a couple a splits to Unclestache he would have at least 3 or 4 cords, enough to get him through the winter. Also to keep shipping cost down, the wood would be perfectly seasoned and he could use the cardboard packing as kindling. Just think he would receive enough wood every day to keep his 15 children (guessing on the number since his wife never says no) warm. Sign up sheet to follow with the Staches name and mine at the top.

US Postal Service. If it fits, it ships for one low flat rate.

https://www.prioritymail.com/flatrates.asp

Last edited:
If everybody on this site shipped a couple a splits to Unclestache he would have at least 3 or 4 cords… Sign up sheet to follow with the Staches name and mine at the top.

L_O_L!!! … TOO DARN FUNNY!!! A 12x12x5½ flat rate box ships for $14.[sup]20[/sup]. You could probably stuff three 12-inch long, 5½-inch splits in it. At that rate it would take around 200 packages to equal a cord… That would be $2840.[sup]oo[/sup] shipping charges per cord! Rather than send him wood at $14.[sup]20[/sup] each… wouldn’t it make more sense if each of us just send him $5.[sup]oo[/sup] in cash? If 200 of us sent him $5.[sup]oo[/sup] cash, instead of wood at $14.[sup]20[/sup], he would have $1000.[sup]oo[/sup]… he could buy all the firewood he needs for this winter and it would be cheaper for us.

I’m laughing my butt off here!!!!!!!

OK, Uncle you got it. They will bring it to you AND you can keep thinking about sex year-round .:laugh:

Hua! I like that - people give me firewood so I can spend more time with the wife!! :bowdown::rock::msp_thumbsup:

Rather than send him wood at $14.[sup]20[/sup] each… wouldn’t it make more sense if each of us just send him $5.[sup]oo[/sup] in cash? If 200 of us sent him $5.[sup]oo[/sup] cash, instead of wood at $14.[sup]20[/sup], he would have $1000.[sup]oo[/sup]… he could buy all the firewood he needs for this winter and it would be cheaper for us.

Hey, I'm all for that! It would be enough to send me to a couple local Occupy events as well! Heck, you're all going to make a liberal of me yet! :hmm3grin2orange:

Sorry Uncle'stache , I had parted with 6 heapin' truck loads of good seasoned hard woods this past Sept. tryin' to get my wood shed built.. the poor weather around here has me short on seasoned wood. I'm probably 4 hours north east of you,,if you wanna make the drive,,(BRING BEER),,I'll load ya' up with some good wet hard woods,,just pull it off the stack(BRING BEER) and load your trailer to the top,,(BRING BEER),,Oh yeah,,BRING BEER!!!:eek:uttahere2:

Latest posts

Back