going to take the the plunge on new maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gransfors Bruks Splitting maul. You will love it I promise its more agile than the PA80. I too make my own handles its not hard. Ben Orford on youtube is how I learned.

already ordered the husky,but are you saying the axe or maul? thank you also for this video!

THANKYOU EVERY ONE!!!!!ok,i know i change like the wind....lol.....but ordered the husky 6.6 maul today instead of the stihl,i like the shape of the husky better......well see HOW IT DOES, it be here 3-4 days!

I've heard that the Ochsenkopf that's badged for Stihl is quite a bit heavier, around 8 lb. Makes it difficult to get it up to speed. Surprisingly good buy from Stihl- I sure wouldn't tell the bandits at my local about that.

I've handled the Husqy (Hultafors) at Spike60's shop in Ashokan, saw it's indistinguishable from my Wetterlings, except the price about 1/2 of the Wetterlings. (Kicking self again.) Bottom line: two excellent wood-processing tools. Fun to use- you'll enjoy it.

The Gransfors maul is also excellent, but for $180+ last I saw, well ... Maybe equipped with a member of the Swedish bikini team?

For the gent who argues that head steel is of no importance- best I can say is "Nonsense!" IMO. I've split many cords with a Mueller and the head looks un-used. I've done some pickup-loads with my Wetterlings and it looks like it just came out of the box. Not so with fiskars (both brittle and plastic deformation of edge- IOW lousy steel) and some of the cheapies (plainly soft steel.) "Breaking" is not the issue.

From what I've seen, forget convex/concave face. Flat gets it done.

demc, let us know how it works for you, but please don't gloat about the price.

I've heard that the Ochsenkopf that's badged for Stihl is quite a bit heavier, around 8 lb. Makes it difficult to get it up to speed. Surprisingly good buy from Stihl- I sure wouldn't tell the bandits at my local about that.

I've handled the Husqy (Hultafors) at Spike60's shop in Ashokan, saw it's indistinguishable from my Wetterlings, except the price about 1/2 of the Wetterlings. (Kicking self again.) Bottom line: two excellent wood-processing tools. Fun to use- you'll enjoy it.

The Gransfors maul is also excellent, but for $180+ last I saw, well ... Maybe equipped with a member of the Swedish bikini team?

For the gent who argues that head steel is of no importance- best I can say is "Nonsense!" IMO. I've split many cords with a Mueller and the head looks un-used. I've done some pickup-loads with my Wetterlings and it looks like it just came out of the box. Not so with fiskars (both brittle and plastic deformation of edge- IOW lousy steel) and some of the cheapies (plainly soft steel.) "Breaking" is not the issue.

From what I've seen, forget convex/concave face. Flat gets it done.

demc, let us know how it works for you, but please don't gloat about the price.
thank you,yes i did like the stihl,but after readingyour revieiws and others,and looking at the husky i like it better,heck i still mite get the stihk and gransfor later just to compare,well for now i think the husky will do.......thanks again

thank you,yes i did like the stihl,but after readingyour revieiws and others,and looking at the husky i like it better,heck i still mite get the stihk and gransfor later just to compare,well for now i think the husky will do.......thanks again
Hell if you really enjoy fine tools and splitting wood you really must collect them all.

I have a Gransford Bruks splitting maul ($180) an Ace "tru temper" 8lb maul on it's second handle ($35 including the second handle) and a Craftsman 5lb maul ($20 on Craigslist). I split 12 to 15 cords a year of eucalyptus (red gum, blue gum, mallus, silver dollar, iron bark, etc.) along with elm, ash, coast live oak, sycamore, willow, pine, alder. I just finished splitting 2 cords with the above arsenal plus a friends Fiskars X27. After a 1/4 cord, I put the Fiskars down and never picked it up. It almost fills the role of the gransfors bruks but just isn't the same quality and fells less "controllable" to me. That's just my opinion. At the end of the day, I'd say there isn't one maul I'd take to any splitting project. I take all three of my mauls. If budget is a concern replace the Gransford with the Fiskars. Sure, splitting alder or pine with the gransford is effortless. My 11 year can split alder or ash with one hand using the Gransford Bruks. The 8 lb maul works just as good but why use the extra energy? Put that same bruks into a 16 inch round of green live oak and you are in for a frustrating experience. Yes, I know about the kinetic energy deal. 1/2 the mass of the object times the square of the velocity give you the energy at the toe/face. So swing the bruks really fast and all is good but sometimes the angle of the cheap maul simply works better on green, "spongy" wood. Practicality trumps physics in my opinion. If you asked a person "what's the best gun" you'd get a long winded answer. Of course it depends on what you use it for. Self defense at home? (Pistol/Craftsman 5 lb) Shooting skeet or rabbits or deer? (Shotgun - deer slug/8 lb maul) Sniper rifle? (.308/Gransford Bruks) Each fills a role. Determine your need, invest in a quality tool and take care of it. If I split one cord of wood a year of mixed wood and could only buy one maul. I'd get in shape and get the 8 lb tru-temper maul. You'll spend more energy than you need to but...it's cheaper than a gym membership.

I have a Gransford Bruks splitting maul ($180) an Ace "tru temper" 8lb maul on it's second handle ($35 including the second handle) and a Craftsman 5lb maul ($20 on Craigslist). I split 12 to 15 cords a year of eucalyptus (red gum, blue gum, mallus, silver dollar, iron bark, etc.) along with elm, ash, coast live oak, sycamore, willow, pine, alder. I just finished splitting 2 cords with the above arsenal plus a friends Fiskars X27. After a 1/4 cord, I put the Fiskars down and never picked it up. It almost fills the role of the gransfors bruks but just isn't the same quality and fells less "controllable" to me. That's just my opinion. At the end of the day, I'd say there isn't one maul I'd take to any splitting project. I take all three of my mauls. If budget is a concern replace the Gransford with the Fiskars. Sure, splitting alder or pine with the gransford is effortless. My 11 year can split alder or ash with one hand using the Gransford Bruks. The 8 lb maul works just as good but why use the extra energy? Put that same bruks into a 16 inch round of green live oak and you are in for a frustrating experience. Yes, I know about the kinetic energy deal. 1/2 the mass of the object times the square of the velocity give you the energy at the toe/face. So swing the bruks really fast and all is good but sometimes the angle of the cheap maul simply works better on green, "spongy" wood. Practicality trumps physics in my opinion. If you asked a person "what's the best gun" you'd get a long winded answer. Of course it depends on what you use it for. Self defense at home? (Pistol/Craftsman 5 lb) Shooting skeet or rabbits or deer? (Shotgun - deer slug/8 lb maul) Sniper rifle? (.308/Gransford Bruks) Each fills a role. Determine your need, invest in a quality tool and take care of it. If I split one cord of wood a year of mixed wood and could only buy one maul. I'd get in shape and get the 8 lb tru-temper maul. You'll spend more energy than you need to but...it's cheaper than a gym membership.

I've had similar results with my GB. It is a work of art but for the wood I split it is not usually the best tool. The bit doesnt tapper fast enough so it would seem to be best suited for softer woods. My wetterlings tends to work a lot better as it has a more traditional maul shape, and it also work a lot better for me than my x25 or x27. Plus the wood handles are so much nicer to use for me. Even if it didnt split any better the wetterlings is worth the extra $ just for the wood handle and good steal. I only split on a chipping block and my 3 or 4 year old x25 is pretty chipped up. The steal is pretty soft. I have only split a cord or 2 with my wetterlings and the same with my GB and both of them are still sharper than the knives I see most people carry. Not shaving sharp but holding an edge very, very well. Both the GB and the wetterlings hit noticeably harder than either fiskars, but thats just in my hands with the wood I split, may be a different story for others.

I am a little crazy about fine woodworking tools, axes, hatchets, adzes, planes, draw knives, hand saws, and brace bits. I play with a forge making carving chisels, knives and an occasional ax or tomahawk, but I don't worry about the quality of the steel in froes and splitting mauls.

I can't see how there is a better splitting maul than the x27 . I split easily 5 to 7 cords with it year after year. It doesn't matter what maul you have you can't split wet wood by hand. Cut it and come back a couple months later and split it. I would like to try these fancy mauls to see what the fuss is all about.

I agree mhyme71 I would like to try one. The x27 is nice but a lot of times I have to reach for something bigger. By the way where in Perry county are you . I'm in Morgan county just outside Malta.

everyone is different with different views,i like the x27 ok,but really really like the husk alot better.....they both have there place,but for some reason the 6.6 husk swings and is more comfortable on my back than x27 which is lighter............again fiskars x27 $40.00----for me is good on small or say straighter grain with not many knots,......then next husk for $80.00 good all around maul that swings like axe,and doesnt get hung up like x27 and 8 pound maul meaning it pulls out of unsplit wood a lot easier without alot of force compared to others i have tried,........next 8 pound maul on nasty stuff but even with it i usually break out sledge hammer and several wedges........so inconclusion get what you like the feel of and that you will use,but i found out more is alot better than one,not every tool will work for all situations.......don get me wrong i used ony 8 pound maul for many years,then added the x27 last year,and now the husy maul,just my progression of what works for ME......not everyone will agree,but thought i just post this for those who might like see whats out the..........happy splitting:chop:;)

Thanks dmc for the info I wish I had a husky dealer close that stocked one of those . I would like to see one in person.

mhyme71 I've been across 37 a few times not bad pizza at the Marathon.

Thanks dmc for the info I wish I had a husky dealer close that stocked one of those . I would like to see one in person.

mhyme71 I've been across 37 a few times not bad pizza at the Marathon.
no problem your welcome.....i had to order mine from local dealer

Latest posts

Back