Gonna get a new big saw this week!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To add to What brad and others mentioned, if you like torque the 660 is nice. If your more after limbing, the 460/1, 7900/10, 372(ported) 385-390, Solo 681 will ALL pull much faster than the 660 as they're all turning higher revs stock. A 3/8 cutter bites the same regardless of which saw it's mounted on, so then it's up to the loaded rpm/wood/chain sharpness to determine the cut speed. for a larger limbing/bucking saw the 70cc-80cc saws will run much faster and lighter in when pulling a 20-24" bar and around equal with a 28" when compared to a 90cc saw. It's not until you get to 32" and beyond that the 90's come into their own. If you don't plan on a 36" bar (and you said about an hour a year with a 32") I'd vote for the 390 or the newer 461 with a M.M. as the 90's will be slower, unless you're REALLY leaning on them with a 24" bar. My 372 (not sure of the exact displacement) that Stumpy built will destroy a stock 660 in 24" wood or less and that's with a 7-pin. With an 8 it's not even a comparison. If you want speed get a 70-80cc saw. If you want torque, get a 90+ cc saw.
My $0.02.
That's makes sense, sounds like I really wouldn't use a 660 that often. Sounds like I might be better off to buy something like a 562xp because that saw would be used more than all of them.

yall are probably closer to 2hr apart. It's an hour from Morristown to ELizabethton. 30-45m Elizabethton to Mountain City. If Trevor is 30min past Mountain City it's every bit 2 hrs.

I can be there in elk park or roan mountain in about hour and twenty minutes. There's a member that has a place to cut some wood up there in tat area with a new to him 372 xpw.

Latest posts

Back