Good Price on a Stihl 361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
The dealer next to me had a tag on a 361 for $549.00.
Told me he would deal if I showed cash.
You see, In my area he carries in house credit for loggers.
That would include bar and chain.

Woodie

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
Talon,

Run, don't walk, to Elliott Saw Works in Fabulous Ferndale. They deal in Jonsered only. They're running a "Bag-it Drag-it" sale right now. If you bring in a "complete" saw, and by complete I mean just about anything will do, they have a Jonsered 2159 they will sell you for $459 with an 18" bar, $469 with a 20. They've been dealing Jreds in the same spot for 27 years now. Just bought my 2159 from them. It is in the same class as the 361--60cc and 4.1 hp.

I brought in my dung-heap of a Crapsman, which by the way died of "cement poisoning" in my driveway. Bar was wrapped around the powerhead. I paid $150 for it new, its carcass brought me $125 in trade-in.

Whether the 2159 is a better saw than the 361 is not for me to say...not enough experience on either. But I can tell you my 2159 is a damn fine saw, and Elliott Saw Works is a damn fine dealer. They deal in saws only. All the woodworkers here in SE Michigan know them for their sharpening service. People who buy Stihls and Huskys take them to Elliott to get them fixed, so that ought to tell you something right there.

talon1189

talon1189

"Da Smiley King"
NOPE............I have my mind now set on a Stihl :rock: Ferndale is about 1/2 hour away from me. 4-5 years down the road when I sell............What saw will hold the best value:blob5: I do think of these things when I am considering a new saw in this price range :popcorn: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Four Paws

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
talon1189 said:
Please..............Back to my original question?.......What is a good price for a MS 361 with a 18 inch bar? :chainsaw: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Well, as the consumer, the best price for you is the cheapest you can get it!

As the shop-owner/salesman, it is the most he/she can charge and still have you lay down the cash and walk out the door with the new saw.

I think Casey answered your question in the second and fourth post in this thread...your money, your decision!

Woodie

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
talon1189 said:
NOPE............I have my mind now set on a Stihl :rock: Ferndale is about 1/2 hour away from me. 4-5 years down the road when I sell............What saw will hold the best value:blob5: I do think of these things when I am considering a new saw in this price range :popcorn: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

A new 361 will set you back an additional $100 on the front end. On the back end, they'll end-up about the same price. Jred's a hell of a saw. Go watch a tree crew at work around here...there's a good chance their saw is red with a black top. And if you ask 'em where they got their Jred, they'll give you directions to Elliott.

The big thing isn't resale in 4 -5 years, it's who you're going to get to work on that saw in 2 years. Most of the Stihl "dealerships" I've walked into wouldn't know the difference between a carburetor and a canooter valve. The Mr. Mower in Southfield doesn't even carry the 260...or anything above it. Homeowner grade only. I asked if he carried the 260...he replied "That's one expensive saw." I didn't have the heart to call him a dumba$$, but before he could get out his next sentence, my a$$ beeped his door buzzer.

No offense to the good Stihl dealers out there...and I know you are out there. But Stihl will give a dealership to a fish farm here in Detroit, so make sure you know where the Jred dealership is when you need to get your Stihl fixed. Corner of Woodward and Marshall (8 1/2 Mile).

Latest posts