Good way to use up retired chains.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I cut a load of aluminum pipe today. I think the last time I did this I was running a 360.aluminum is record price.
I broke 5 chains by the time I finished this up. Should be a mega payday though and I burned less than a tank of fuel. 500i zips through it like butter. But breaks the chain if you hit anything.

Attachments

• 448178A7-1D97-4179-8A84-288B4459AC4D.jpeg
    448178A7-1D97-4179-8A84-288B4459AC4D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • A57F7086-058F-4A7D-8E5C-D5FDBF1E488C.jpeg
    A57F7086-058F-4A7D-8E5C-D5FDBF1E488C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
Were they all unusable and scrap? I just ask because it looks like the 4 and 5 inch pipe we use for irrigation and I Know that’s stuff is $$$.Ours has a male and female end and they’re 25 ft long. We run a big irrigation reel off it so it’s definitely a different system. Just seems kinda wild to me that you’re chopping it all up but I realize sometimes stuff isn’t worth the hassle of reselling.

Oregon does or did make chain for aluminum cutting.
“72FH“ or full house as they called it
it was a regular 72DP round semi chisel cutter with no spacing or skip Sequence. Just cutter after cutter.

Were they all unusable and scrap? I just ask because it looks like the 4 and 5 inch pipe we use for irrigation and I Know that’s stuff is $$$.Ours has a male and female end and they’re 25 ft long. We run a big irrigation reel off it so it’s definitely a different system. Just seems kinda wild to me that you’re chopping it all up but I realize sometimes stuff isn’t worth the hassle of reselling.
These were the side roll irrigation systems. Thicker aluminum than flow line. They have a cast flange on each end that clamps to the next one. Most of this one was good and usable. But no one is interested in using them. I have 2 that I run, there is a pivot where this one sat. There’s some guys that take them down to south texas and sell them, but they all just wanted to “clean it up for me”. This had been piled up in the edge of the field for 15 years and I was getting tired of going around it. Friend told me what aluminum was bringing and I thought now is the time.

By the way, how much is aluminum selling for? I have several scrap cylinders and pistons from a few years of rebuilding..
Depends on the area your in and the yard. Cylinders and pistons would probably be cast aluminum not the highest payout but still worth saving to bring in. Right now steel in my area in $355 a ton that’s how I have been paying for my engine swap parts for my truck and saw stuff brought in a load of #2 copper and bought a 08s.

I recently bought a steel cutting blade for my circular saw thinking it probably wasn't worth anything but boy was I surprised! It cuts through steel roofing without making a noise except motor noise. I cut 3 pieces at a time but probably have cut more...

That is a great innovative approach to cutting aluminum!!
The price of the chain is "right" also!! :happybanana:

AND, beyond low cost, I would bet the chainsaw is safer than something like a circular saw that might easily bind, or jam!!

Back