Good wood hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Junkie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I starting a search for a good wood hauling pick up. What is your guy's opinions? So far I've been told to stick with a staight axle and at least 3/4 ton. Obviously a 4x4,diesel or gas....depends on the deal that I find. I'm looking to stay below 3k. and will prob. wait a month or so to get into the tail end of the winter season to get a better deal. Any suggestions?

If you want to stay below 3K, i'd prolly (and it pains me to say this) go gas since a diesel under that amount would be absolutely beat to sh@t... Yes, 3/4 ton or more and helper springs would be a bonus. Will you be traveling any real mileage, or just from a local wood lot back and back?

I know what you mean,if I could only find a 3/4 ton dodge cummins w/ a manual trans.....I wouldn't be so concerned w/ milage. My main wood cuttin' area is about 5 miles from the house.....not looking forward to the crappy milage tho.....will haul our horses from time to time,but only 10 miles or so.

Just get an old Ford with a 460 or a Chevy w/ 454. Either could be found under 3K. My buddy just picked up an 80s F350 with 460 for like $750 :jawdrop:

Yup, I would go for an oldy with a big block and a granny 4spd. I ran a bunch of those for years. Even in their junkiest state, they will get the job done. Just keep a couple of extra spark plugs and some tools in the glove box. Fuel prices are your friend right now, bet you can pick up one cheap.

I still got my granddads 79 F-350 with a 460, don't use it much but I wouldn't sell it.

Romeo and Nuzzy are right, the tough old stuff. I would get a Chev or GM, before '87. I prefer the '80 or older 3/4 tons with a standard tranny. Straight axle front. floating rear, it doesn't have to be a big block, 350s are fine. These pickups are easy to work on, parts are cheap and interchange with all kinds of other GMs. A have loaded 8600lb gvw pickups to way over 10k and driven them home no problems. Nice to have load range E tires also.

I was thinking about an old beast but most of them around here are pretty rusty......couldn't imagine driving a 1 ton w/ a 460 from NM any ways Romeo
:greenchainsaw: ......I bet it's in nice shape tho if native to the area.....
Alot of people trying to sell those v10's around here......might be able to grab one of those gas mizers..where are they on the mpg....6?? 8?? Guess it doesn't really matter as long as I stay local.

I was thinking about an old beast but most of them around here are pretty rusty......couldn't imagine driving a 1 ton w/ a 460 from NM any ways Romeo
:greenchainsaw: ......I bet it's in nice shape tho if native to the area.....
Alot of people trying to sell those v10's around here......might be able to grab one of those gas mizers..where are they on the mpg....6?? 8?? Guess it doesn't really matter as long as I stay local.

We tried to help, now you are talking a v-10, if its for the 3k you want to spend it will be beat to death, and good luck fixing it on your own. Look around, many trucks have been maintained, or have had body panels replaced, its easy to do on the old stuff.

We tried to help, now you are talking a v-10, if its for the 3k you want to spend it will be beat to death, and good luck fixing it on your own. Look around, many trucks have been maintained, or have had body panels replaced, its easy to do on the old stuff.

Lol......have you ever seen a 25 year old Mich. truck???......unless it has been totally gone through it will be junk even if pampered.(this state uses soo much salt.) I'll keep a look out for an older one too. Like I said,going to wait til the tail end of winter when people want to start getting rid of their 4x4's. I like those old granny geared trucks. I'm just trying to get a good idea of what not to get......:)
Thanks

I've got an 87 Dodge Dakota 4*4 w/ the 8' box I'd sell. Rust free truck and will suprise ya on how much she will haul. Been using it for the last three years to haul wood (so plenty of dents and dings), quad and trailer have taken her place...since it's just easier to manuever the quad.
Definately won't haul w/ a 3/4 ton but can't beat the condition of it.

My experience with used trucks is that 1/2 tons are generally not used as hard as 3/4 or 1 tons. Therefore, you're more apt to find a good truck for less money in a 1/2 ton. 3/4 ton trucks are either priced too high or beat to within an inch of their lives.

So, if it were me, and since you're only hauling wood a few miles, I'd look for an older 1/2 ton pickup. v-8, 6 cylinder, whatever won't matter if it starts and runs. You're not going to be in any races with a wood truck anyway.

I guess its all dependant on what you feel comfortable with. I live in MN too so I know all about road salt, but you are still able to find decent trucks from the 80's and 90's here.

If you wanted a chevy I agree with the others and saying a 73-87 or even newer with a 350 or 454 would work out well. I'd probably stay away from the 305.

If you wanted to go with a ford (body style changes of 73-79, 80-86, 87-91 or 92-96) would probably work also. As for personal visual preference I l like the 73-79 and the 92-96 body styles the best. Motor choices of a 300-6 (4.6L), 351 or 400m (70's), 390 (70's) 351w (later fords), or the 460. I'd personally shy away from the 5.0L and probably the mazda 5 spd transmission found in the 92-96 fords and also the 360's found in early 70's fords. I own or have owned 4 5.0's in trucks: a 93 5.0 (speed density), two 94 5.0's (mass air), and one 97 5.0 (mass air with the GT40 heads). The only one I've been impressed with as far as power is the 97 and thats in an exploder. I'm a huge fan of the 300-6's in terms of longevity, torque, gas mileage, etc., but they definately aren't speed demons ;).

I'm not all that familiar with dodges so I don't know have much information to offer except that if your not going to have many body styles to choose from in your price range. Didn't they have just one body style from like the 60's up until like 94 ;).

I don't think your going to find anything diesel or with a v10 in your pricerange that isn't going to have a ton of miles on it and isn't on the verge of needing a lot of money thrown into it.

I wouldn't mind getting a 1/2 ton,def. get into a nicer one for the money. One of the guys in our group has 1/2 ton ford and it doesn't take long to have the springs going the wrong way...... kinda makes me shy from the lighter duty trucks. I do like the 300 sixes in the fords...good runners,and more torque than the 5.0 if I remember. I did find a 94 dodge 3/4 ton ext cab at a friends tranny shop (imagine that). Rebuilt trans,new drive shafts,360. 130k but was a plow truck all it's life....looks good but used and abused I bet......wants $3300. On the fence.....

Ok yeah since you have a few people in your household another route may be to get a 1/2 ton ext cab shortbox and then also pull a trailer. I'm not sure if that is a viable option for you or not?

Yeah the 300-6's will produce more torque than even a 351 at a low rpm and thats where you want the torque. My old plow truck had a 300-6 in it and my new one has a fresh 351m in it. I prefer my old 300-6 over the 351m for plowing.

I don't know a whole lot about dodges, but I know they have had a few issues with trannys especially up here in the colder climates. My buddy who is a master mopar tech usually can't wait till spring (when it warms up) so the # of trannys he has to do subsides.

I would stay away from a truck that plowed much snow. Usually the front ends are worn out among other things.

84 Chevy M1008 CUCV

Rated at 1.25t, but was mostly a longbed SRW K30 pickup. 6.2 diesel, T400 3-speed auto, 4.56:1 axle ratio, and a Detroit Locker in the rear. EZ 350/454 swap when the oiler frys.

Good luck finding one rust-free up there though.

Ok yeah since you have a few people in your household another route may be to get a 1/2 ton ext cab shortbox and then also pull a trailer. I'm not sure if that is a viable option for you or not?

I was thinking of going that route,but also have horses and the one daughter likes to do shows....ie hauling critters to and fro....
Also the main route down into my buddy's woods is....down into the woods. It would be tough getting a trailer into that spot. Would be a good excuse to buy a trailer tho :)

My experience with used trucks is that 1/2 tons are generally not used as hard as 3/4 or 1 tons. Therefore, you're more apt to find a good truck for less money in a 1/2 ton. 3/4 ton trucks are either priced too high or beat to within an inch of their lives.

So, if it were me, and since you're only hauling wood a few miles, I'd look for an older 1/2 ton pickup. v-8, 6 cylinder, whatever won't matter if it starts and runs. You're not going to be in any races with a wood truck anyway.

Space you old rocket scientist, uhhhh, 1/2 tons with the car rear axle and little springs, try loading one with what you can put on a real 3/4 ton (full floating axle), and you''ll be walking home. Right tool for the job.

my ideal wood hauler would be a diesel 3/4 ton with dual axle trailer. I can't afford my ideal so i have a dodge dakota with the 4.7 liter V8. It hauls a bed full (stacked to cab height) just fine (I installed Firestone air suspension bags in the rear to keep from overloading the springs and Timken heavy duty bump stops up front).
I use my 3500 lb single axle trailer as well. The small V8 in the dodge is plenty strong to pull what I haul. A truck with strong engine (half ton) and a decent trailer is a good option (you can load more weight in trailer than you could in the bed of the truck and pull ratings are higher than what you can load in the truck...depending on the rating of the trailer).
my truck stats:
4.7 V8 with the NV-3500 five-speed:
235 hp, 295 lb-ft torque
max trailer weight: 6,100 lb
payload: 1450 lb
Here's my set up for home use firewood hauling from nearby public lands.

I've loaded more in the truck/trailer than what's shown in the pic but try to not overload. Fortunately I don't have to go far for wood....if I had to go further I would want a bigger rig for sure.

Back