Got a new saw... Break in?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see two of you guys have the 576xp on here. What prompted you to get it over the 372xp? Have you guys ever compared the two? I am have a372 on hold at the local saw shop so I am curious. Thanks

I used to have an stihl ms 460 but my hands were sensitive to the vibration. I liked the power of the 460 though...and I thought going down to the 372 from a 460DP might have disappointed me. I had also heard the 576xp described as being smooth as silk. (this is not to say that the 372 is not very smooth as well)

Either is a great saw. If I didn't own a bunch of 50cc saws, I would have probably wanted a 372xp for the better handling/maneuverability.

The coil is blue that means its limited right???

Got my Christmas tree this afternoon. Just had to cut with it! It was like using an angle grinder to brush your teeth.

Last edited:
Heres the pics:
56667-088.jpg

Taller then both my kids
56667-089.jpg

wife thought this was a funny picture.

I run Stihl 50:1 with 93 in all my other stuff, I got it in 2 separate jugs so I could add a splash of oil to one of them to richen it up.

And I upgraded from a 20 to a 28:cheers:

I wouldn't put any more oil in your fuel... 50:1 is just fine...

Just go cut wood... don't overthink "break in"... just go cut wood. You will notice the saw pickin' up a little power after each tank of fuel.

Gary

I agree, avoid no load full RPMs for a few tanks. In the wood, full throttle. Dunno if it's a huge deal but I've always heard that and adhered to it, if I'm going to buy nice saws I can't afford to abuse them. I just bought a 346xp, and a kid took it out back to put fuel and bar oil in. I'd just have soon he left it alone, but he said they were required to start it to make sure there were no problems before it left the store. Fine.

So he starts the saw, idle sounds good. Then he pins the trigger. OK, I thought, he's making sure it's not too lean, I can hear the harmonic from 4-stroking. But he holds it. And holds it. A second or two after I figured this had gone on long enough I tap him on the shoulder and motion for him to cut it. I said please not to hold my new saw wide open like that. He said that he has to to make sure the oiler is working, and switches it back to start it again. I said it looked like it was working to me but if the oiler didn't work I'd bring it back, and it was my saw now and he didn't have my permission to start it again. He handed it over and stomped off.

I wouldn't argue with anybody who says that no harm was done, but guess where I'm never buying another saw?

Jack

I had the same thing happen and I didn't much like it. The book on Stihl says no WOT out of the cut, and give the new parts time to bed in for the first 3 tanks if my memory is correct.
I know the saw has to be tuned, but to just stand there with a new engine screaming. No way.

Just like yours, it was a kid that was doing it.

Latest posts

Back