Got a new saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddol1971

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was looking to get a new 50 ish cc saw. I looked at the echo 520, solo 651, dolmar ps5100, husky 350 & 346xp. I got the dolmar. The only one cheaper was the husky 350 & that was only 10 bucks cheaper. I bought it from my local dealer for 384.00 with an 18" b&c .375/50ga. I couldnt pass it up. I still cant believe I got one for that price around here. Normally there like 420.00. I hope I like it. I havent gotten to use it yet:confused: Well I just wanted to brag a little LOL. :givebeer: :cheers:

I was looking to get a new 50 ish cc saw. I looked at the echo 520, solo 651, dolmar ps5100, husky 350 & 346xp. I got the dolmar. The only one cheaper was the husky 350 & that was only 10 bucks cheaper. I bought it from my local dealer for 384.00 with an 18" b&c .375/50ga. I couldnt pass it up. I still cant believe I got one for that price around here. Normally there like 420.00. I hope I like it. I havent gotten to use it yet:confused: Well I just wanted to brag a little LOL. :givebeer: :cheers:

Congratulations on the fine new saw. You have a double right to brag a little-GOOD SAW AND GREAT PRICE. Pretty good combo in my opinion.

Good luck with your saw.

Yeah, welcome to the cult, I mean club! Mine is just starting to break in and I'm having more fun everytime I go out. I'm cutting almost all under-12" wood now, I've had to find some bigger stuff to challenge the saw a little. Enjoy and be safe.

So far I love the saw. Its really smooth. Starts super easy. Reminds me of my 372xp except lighter. I was wondering before I got it if it should need a decomp button but no way, it dont need it at all. My dealer is an hour a way, but this guy is awesome. I have bought several things from him in the past & this guy is one in a million. He's been in business for 30 something years & lives next door to the shop. He sells dolmar, echo, exmark & simplicity. If you call the shop at 8:00 at night either him or his wife answers the phone at there house. NICE. She does the selling & is very knowledgeable. I wish they werent so far away but its better than not having a dealer, or having a crappy one. I bought a case for 35 bucks with it. I ride my quad alot & bring the saw with & if its not in a case it gets covered in mud. Thanks for the comments. Any questions, just ask. I've been using echo 2 stroke oil which is the same as dolmar oil. I've been using it for about 1 1/2 yrs, & seems pretty good to me, any one else using it? Todd.

nice saw

those are good littl sawz. hope this one dont bring on dreaded CAD:clap: also make sure and wear PPE:)
:cheers:

Yeah, welcome to the cult, I mean club! Mine is just starting to break in and I'm having more fun everytime I go out. I'm cutting almost all under-12" wood now, I've had to find some bigger stuff to challenge the saw a little. Enjoy and be safe.

I've been avoiding the big wood till break in. But I couldn't resist and burried the bar in a big oak log. No problem! Like Todd said, like a 372xp, only lighter!

It brought my carb adjustment into question again though. Was slow to return to idle when done with the cut, like 20-30 seconds. On the small stuff, it would idle again right away.

It's possible that you're a hair rich on the L screw. I remember that you adjusted the S=speed screw for idle yes? Did you turn out the L before you got too the S? If so just clockwise the L a tad. It's also possible that since it only did so after a long cut, that you got a chip or the like in around the idle stop (back side of the S screw adjuster).:cheers:

It's possible that you're a hair rich on the L screw. I remember that you adjusted the S=speed screw for idle yes? Did you turn out the L before you got too the S? If so just clockwise the L a tad. It's also possible that since it only did so after a long cut, that you got a chip or the like in around the idle stop (back side of the S screw adjuster).:cheers:

Thanks for the suggestions. It could be the idle stop, since I happened to finally replace the rubber guide block just before the big cuts. I might have it back in wrong and be blocking the idle stop. I don't understand why this would only come into play on the long cuts though.

If it's not that, I could be rich on the L screw. I'd backed it out a lot initially, and turning it back in 1/4 turn got everything working well. And I did adjust the S speed (leaner) first, also about 1/4 turn.

You couldn't do better regarding bang for the buck, in the US. :clap: :clap:

I'm at 8000 ft and I didn't even have to touch my 5100 settings. I think it's more of something jiggled the screws or something crazy.

Back