Got a tractor job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a BBQ restaurant that buys wood every month and has for the past 4 years.
He had several loads of ground ash fault brought in and it's mostly spread but is a little lumpy so. the owner asked me if I wanted to do a final grade on his parking lot.
The job looks easy enough, and I have spread many loads of ash fault on my driveway, so I know it would be a fairly easy job. About 3 to 4 hours tops.
In order to do the job, I would have to remove the belly mower from the tractor and load, haul and remount the deck after the job.
The parking lot is small, about 100'x50' give or take.
He also is talking about having several more loads brought in for me to spread.
My question is, how much to charge for the job.
A side note, it's a freakin 100 degrees in the shade and spending several hours on a tractor on a hot parking lot is going to be rough.
Thanks.

I have a BBQ restaurant that buys wood every month and has for the past 4 years.
He had several loads of ground ash fault brought in and it's mostly spread but is a little lumpy so. the owner asked me if I wanted to do a final grade on his parking lot.
The job looks easy enough, and I have spread many loads of ash fault on my driveway, so I know it would be a fairly easy job. About 3 to 4 hours tops.
In order to do the job, I would have to remove the belly mower from the tractor and load, haul and remount the deck after the job.
The parking lot is small, about 100'x50' give or take.
He also is talking about having several more loads brought in for me to spread.
My question is, how much to charge for the job.
A side note, it's a freakin 100 degrees in the shade and spending several hours on a tractor on a hot parking lot is going to be rough.
Thanks.
Sb47...do you mean to say ground 'asphalt?'

I'd do it time and material if he is buying wood from ya.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Around here guys are getting 45-100 per hr for brush hoging with most on the higher end.
I would think a 100 trip charge plus at least 50-75 per hour. Rental is about $250 per day for a loader.
If that helps any.
Chad

Not sure about price but why not start at first light so you're not baking in the sun or mount an umbrella to the tractor?

If he really is a good customer, don't take advantage. On the other hand, he shouldn't expect you to take a loss either. Ask him what he thinks would be fair to pay, if he comes in under the number you need to get to make it worthwhile to do the job, just explain that it wouldn't be worth it for you. If he shoots you a number higher than what you were going to ask for, smile and shake his hand lol.

I'm sure he has asked around to see what hiring someone would cost, it's not cheap to get equipment and a skilled operator out. Also be aware that these jobs usually end up being more than what they started out to be. That 100 x 50 lot could end up being 200 x 100 because he had three more triaxle loads brought in because he knew you were coming with the tractor lol.

If he really is a good customer, don't take advantage. On the other hand, he shouldn't expect you to take a loss either. Ask him what he thinks would be fair to pay, if he comes in under the number you need to get to make it worthwhile to do the job, just explain that it wouldn't be worth it for you. If he shoots you a number higher than what you were going to ask for, smile and shake his hand lol.

I'm sure he has asked around to see what hiring someone would cost, it's not cheap to get equipment and a skilled operator out. Also be aware that these jobs usually end up being more than what they started out to be. That 100 x 50 lot could end up being 200 x 100 because he had three more triaxle loads brought in because he knew you were coming with the tractor lol.
...True!!

That was my plan. I know things on jobs can change and one has to account for that.
I'll give a price on the existing work, with the possibility he will want to bring in more material.
When I was doing landscaping work, a tractor man would charge 100 - 200 bucks an hour.
Thanks for the input.

One thing to keep in mind is the quality of the ground asphalt the guy gets. If it is ground well without big chunks, it spreads just like gravel. If it has big chunks in it, it can be a real sumbeach to get any kind of smooth at all. And just like hot asphalt, however smooth the surface is before it is compacted, is how smooth the surface will end up, for the most part anyways.

Is it hot asphalt or ground up recycled cold?? If it's hot I would not mess with it. If it's ground I would change home around 250? With out me seeing it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing to keep in mind is the quality of the ground asphalt the guy gets. If it is ground well without big chunks, it spreads just like gravel. If it has big chunks in it, it can be a real sumbeach to get any kind of smooth at all. And just like hot asphalt, however smooth the surface is before it is compacted, is how smooth the surface will end up, for the most part anyways.

lol.........It's ground pretty good, I didn't see many chunks in it.
I had about 10 loads brought in on my driveway around 10 years ago and it spread like butter.
Contrary to belief, most if not all reground asphalt (ash fault lol) does not repack and harden like hot asphalt.
To reconstitute asphalt you need an oil base with an emulsifier and something extremely heavy to pack it with.
My driveway has never re hardened, even after driving on it for 10 years with my mack truck that weighs about 45,000 lb.
It mostly has to do with if or how much dirt is mixed in with the asphalt when it was ground.

IF he called me, and IF I accepted the job, I'd charge $50.00 per hr. on the hr. meter and $1.00 per loaded mile one way... When I got there, I don't shut the tractor off until it's loaded back on the trailer to leave...

SR

Latest posts

Back