got a wood stove and need a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are looking for a new saw, then a $200 budget gets you the low end saws that likely will have you dumping repair/replace money into them after cutting a season's worth of heating wood. These days, I recommend a $300 minimum budget for new.

Hi,

I'm new here, and learning a lot. I just got a wood stove, and it's nice, warm, and cozy. I learned that i need more fire wood. I just wasn't ready for this new life style (which I enjoy a lot).

I've been gathering wood, and splitting with an electric splitter (I'm glad that I got it. I learned about it here. Thanks) for next winter.
Now I need a saw.

I work on my motorcycle and build a montainbike, and I was going to get a 024, 025 or similar, and maintain or get a refurbished Husqvarna 445 18" $216.
I found one clean 024 for $220 but its got 135psi compression. What does this mean? Do I need to change the engine or something else soon?
I'm not going to use it often; just for getting firewood and for occasional trail maintenance.
Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance

You're probably out a lot for the stove, so for now just pick up a new Poulan Pro5020 (50cc) for about $170. I think Amazon will ship it to ya for free. You can worry about getting a better saw later.

i agree

I'm totally new to cutting
I think I want to spend around $200 for my first one but I'm flexible a bit. I don't think I'm going crazy about this but it's been fun. never know. Later, i might want a bigger one just like how I've been with my other hobbies.

I got both Stihl and Husqvarna dealers with good reviews 20miles away from me opposite directions. There is one in my town. I only hear bad things about them, and I don't want to deal with them.
I don't know how big I'm going to cut since I just started. So far 18inch from the ground.
I can fix small engines. I worked on an old Suzuki Samurai 2st 3 cylinders engine and 100cc Yamaha when I was a kid.

It seems like a refurbished Husqvarna 445 or a decent 026 are my options.

Maybe get a refurbished Husqvarna 445 for now and look for a 026 or 029 to fix up and MM for fun later.

Nothing wrong with a 445. I'd pm nmurph if I were you and check into the price of a 346xp, I'm pretty sure it would suit your needs, and you won't be disappointed. There isn't a better 50cc saw than the 346.

I try my hardest to steer clear of the 1127 series saws (029,039, 290, 310, 390) I have never had one that I liked. But that is just me, many others will disagree. Personally, I only take them if they are free, or close to it!

Whatever you choose, you have got alot of reading to do! Chain sharpening, tuning, safety and PPE. Just a hint, you can search Arboristsite using google. I have had much better luck that way.

If you are looking for a new saw, then a $200 budget gets you the low end saws that likely will have you dumping repair/replace money into them after cutting a season's worth of heating wood. These days, I recommend a $300 minimum budget for new.

That sounds way off base to me. The OP found a refurbed 445 for $216. They are fine saws. Not "pro" saws, but he's not a "pro" :D

I have a few saws here that I'm into for less than 50 bucks. Nice dependable saws.

i agree

I'm totally new to cutting
I think I want to spend around $200 for my first one but I'm flexible a bit. I don't think I'm going crazy about this but it's been fun. never know. Later, i might want a bigger one just like how I've been with my other hobbies.

I got both Stihl and Husqvarna dealers with good reviews 20miles away from me opposite directions. There is one in my town. I only hear bad things about them, and I don't want to deal with them.
I don't know how big I'm going to cut since I just started. So far 18inch from the ground.
I can fix small engines. I worked on an old Suzuki Samurai 2st 3 cylinders engine and 100cc Yamaha when I was a kid.

It seems like a refurbished Husqvarna 445 or a decent 026 are my options.

Maybe get a refurbished Husqvarna 445 for now and look for a 026 or 029 to fix up and MM for fun later.

CAD is just around the corner: Haven't bought the fist saw and already considering the second one and a MM... I like the way you think! Welcome to AS!
For firewood, go for the 2 saw plan. If you can fix and maintain small 2 cycle engines, start with a used small pro saw (husky 346xp or stihl 260). Some AS members might be able to help you on that. You should then seek a bigger saw (Husky 372 or Stihl 440).
Warning: you might then want to find a older bigger saw, then a pruning saw, then... AS might lead you to own more saws you could imagine...
One of my employees asked me last week how many saws I owned. I was ashamed to answer I didn't know...

That sounds way off base to me. The OP found a refurbed 445 for $216. They are fine saws. Not "pro" saws, but he's not a "pro" :D

I have a few saws here that I'm into for less than 50 bucks. Nice dependable saws.

I don't dispute waht you say, but I wrote "new" and not "used" or "refurb." Nothing wrong with refurb if from the right place.

My point was that someone heating with firewood should have a decent dependable saw, and his budget of $200 is too low for such saws if he wants NEW. The price point these days for such a NEW saw starts at $300 in the USA.

I've had my little 445 with a 16" bar for three years now, and it has been a great limbing/clean up/small firewood saw. It is very light, has plenty of power to pull a .325 chisel through oak on the 16", starts every time, filters well, and has needed nothing since I bought it. If you are not cutting daily, and not cutting larger diameter wood too often, I think it would be a great option for the price. I would get the 16" bar if available. If you will be using it several hours daily, the 026 or a used 346xp would be good options. Someone mentioned earlier that buying a saw too small was a common mistake. It is, but I think putting way too long a bar on your saw is the most common newbie saw mistake. Have fun with it and stay safe

I've had my little 445 with a 16" bar for three years now, and it has been a great limbing/clean up/small firewood saw. It is very light, has plenty of power to pull a .325 chisel through oak on the 16", starts every time, filters well, and has needed nothing since I bought it. If you are not cutting daily, and not cutting larger diameter wood too often, I think it would be a great option for the price. I would get the 16" bar if available. If you will be using it several hours daily, the 026 or a used 346xp would be good options. Someone mentioned earlier that buying a saw too small was a common mistake. It is, but I think putting way too long a bar on your saw is the most common newbie saw mistake. Have fun with it and stay safe

What he said...... And yes if you must ask size matters. To long of a bar will hurt you more than having too small a saw. I've seen saws go dead because the oiler wouldn't keep up and people kept running them. You'll burn up clutches oilers will die bars will fry and and chains will be no more. Before you do anything get an Idea of the wood you plan on harvesting. Do some reading around on species. Season your wood, keep your chain sharp and most importantly NEVER take more wood from your land than it can grow back. Dry wood will help keep your chimney clean and your house safer. When I was a kid we would stack our split wood and tarp it. Most importantly dont short yourself on quality equipment. Give us some information about your area's trees how much land you have.

I've had my little 445 with a 16" bar for three years now, and it has been a great limbing/clean up/small firewood saw. It is very light, has plenty of power to pull a .325 chisel through oak on the 16", starts every time, filters well, and has needed nothing since I bought it. If you are not cutting daily, and not cutting larger diameter wood too often, I think it would be a great option for the price. I would get the 16" bar if available.

Nice to hear that 445 is ok. They have a brand new with a 16" bar. A refurbished one comes with 18".

16" cuts better than 18" with a 445? I guess it's little lighter.

Since I'm planning to fix my new saw should I get a new with a warranty ( with extended with bottles of oil)?

By the way I can go to around $300. The refurbished Husqvarna 445 with a extra chain and oil will be around there.

CAD is just around the corner: Haven't bought the fist saw and already considering the second one and a MM... I like the way you think! Welcome to AS!
For firewood, go for the 2 saw plan. If you can fix and maintain small 2 cycle engines, start with a used small pro saw (husky 346xp or stihl 260). Some AS members might be able to help you on that. You should then seek a bigger saw (Husky 372 or Stihl 440).
Warning: you might then want to find a older bigger saw, then a pruning saw, then... AS might lead you to own more saws you could imagine...
One of my employees asked me last week how many saws I owned. I was ashamed to answer I didn't know...

Thanks.

If anybody selling your Stihl 025, 026, 260 or 346xp please pm me.

Last edited:
That 445 is a good price, it's a perfectly good saw to get started with and will cut plenty of firewood for a long time. When you hit the big wood, just add a 60-70cc saw to compliment it.

You're probably out a lot for the stove, so for now just pick up a new Poulan Pro5020 (50cc) for about $170. I think Amazon will ship it to ya for free. You can worry about getting a better saw later.

At the $200 (and lower) price point, you can get a BRAND NEW Poulan Pro PP5020 or PP4618.

Search for "5020" here. You will find a LONG Thread. Even though you most likely won't have any local dealer support, if you have problems, Arboristsite is here for you.

The 'refurb' 445 is probably not a bad option.

New, at a stihl dealer, you could swing a ms170, but they're not a lot of saw. Good enough for a lightweight, but pretty small.

On the used market, you never know what you can pick up for $200. Last used saw I bought was a pretty nice husky 359 for $80. Sometimes you get lucky.

Why don't you just get a Husqvarna 3120 with 20'' bar, it will fill all your needs:msp_thumbup:

I for one would go with a 445. Reason is I own one.What part of CNJ are you from? Reason is I was born in Ocean County.Waretown to be exact.Ever hear of the 'Pine Barrons" How about the Jersey Devil? Ken

Latest posts

Back