got a wood stove and need a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What makes a 445 husky better out of the box? Just wondering. Are those swedish made?

USA assembled as far as I know. The 4xx non-pro line of saws a built quite well, have good air filtration and kick right along if you keep them clean and sharp. You can always find a husky dealer close by for parts.

Perhaps I just can't bring myself to show any love for a modern Poulan too. Most of the 1xx Husky saws are poulans in orange and they are the worst performers of the lot.

OP, WELCOME to AS!

What ever saw you choose, keep the chain sharp, the depth gauges set, air filter clean, and oil in your fresh fuel. All saws will cut with a sharp chain. Keep in mind that most saws are set lean from the factory. A dull chain will cause additional heat. A saw running lean with a dull chain = cooked saw.

USA assembled as far as I know. The 4xx non-pro line of saws a built quite well, have good air filtration and kick right along if you keep them clean and sharp. You can always find a husky dealer close by for parts.

Perhaps I just can't bring myself to show any love for a modern Poulan too. Most of the 1xx Husky saws are poulans in orange and they are the worst performers of the lot.

I only have a 137 for a small husky, so no experience with the other smaller newer models. Mine still hauls chain fine. It was my one saw plan for several years and my first brand new saw.

As to poulans I like all of them that have anti vibe to them, older mag case or newer plastic case. Cant say as I like the rigid body ones that much, but they all cut great. I have some, but dont need to put up with bad vibes. I just make them run, cut a load or three of wood with them, and put them away. Working on my 100 runners plan...bwahahaha Slowed down this year because of switching to some trucks, building my fleet there, but will continue on saw accumulation later.

For newbs, poulans are the easiest to work on, used ones all over cheap or free, and will cut wood. I like all sorts of saws, but wouldnt have any problems cutting all my wood with poulans either.

Anyway, after all that side tracking, just wondering if there really is any huge difference in construction between the 4xx series home owner huskies and the modern poulans. Never had a 4xx to look at, disassembled.

Thank you all for all your support.

There are many people#passionate about saws#here.#I'm very excited about this new life with a wood stove.

I used my friend's brand new Stihl M211 I liked its weight, but I wish it had a little more power.
I don't have big arms and when I go to do trail maintenance I need to carry it around, so I want to keep the saw around 10lbs.
I really want 346xp, but I don't want to spend that much dough since I'm not a pro and I won't use it every week or month.
My idea is changing frequently, but here is where I am now:
- I can borrow my friend's saw if I need to, so not in a rush.
- Look for a project 346xp or a 445 and fix up/modify
- If I need a saw right away, go to a shop and grab a Poulan pro PP4218,PP5020AV or refurbished Husqvarna 445.

Last edited:
Thank you all for all your support.

There are many people#passionate about saws#here.#I'm very excited about this new life with a wood stove.

I used my friend's brand new Stihl M211 I liked its weight, but I wish it had a little more power.
I don't have big arms and when I go to do trail maintenance I need to carry it around, so I want to keep the saw around 10lbs.
I really want 346xp, but I don't want to spend that much dough since I'm not a pro and I won't use it every week or month.
My idea is changing frequently, but here is where I am now:
- I can borrow my friend's saw if I need to, so not in a rush.
- Look for a project 346xp or a 445 and fix up/modify
- If I need a saw right away, go to a shop and grab a Poulan#pro PP4218,#PP5020AV or refurbished#Husqvarna#445.

Great plan if you can find a 350 you can make it a poor mans 346. If you're comfortable fixing stuff you're screwed because you'll love the rush you get from using something you fixed. Then you'll end up like the rest of us 30 saws and 2 tree's.

Let us know if you have any questions. Safe and fun cutting to you sir:msp_thumbup:

Great plan if you can find a 350 you can make it a poor mans 346. If you're comfortable fixing stuff you're screwed because you'll love the rush you get from using something you fixed. Then you'll end up like the rest of us 30 saws and 2 tree's.

Let us know if you have any questions. Safe and fun cutting to you sir:msp_thumbup:

I know how that feels, and that's exactly what I want to do for this new hobby / life style.

I've worked on my and friends' cars, motorcycles, snow blower etc, and it's very addictive. it takes time and get frustrating sometimes (or all the time), but it's fun and satisfying.

Ive been searching a lot here. This site is very helpful. I'm sure Ill have many more questions.

Any idea how much the 350 is going for?

I know how that feels, and that's exactly what I want to do for this new hobby / life style.

I've worked on my and friends' cars, motorcycles, snow blower etc, and it's very addictive. it takes time and get frustrating sometimes (or all the time), but it's fun and satisfying.

Ive been searching a lot here. This site is very helpful. I'm sure Ill have many more questions.

$10,150 bucks used. That is with the skid steer and grapple attachment.

Really man, it is almost spring now, should be a variety of used cheaper saws on your local CL. Get you a used 50 buck poulan, something with antivibe, it will say poulan pro, not just poulan. Real easy to work on, give it new lines and filters, clean and adjust the carb, muffler mod it a little, go cut wood. The poulan sticky here will have every possible repair and mod. Avoid the tool less chain tensioner, get one with real bar stud nuts.

I am a neogeezer and a little guy, 5 foot five and around 125 starkers, 130 clothes and boots on. If I can run an 80 and a 90cc, you can run a 45cc. No, I dont run them 10 hours a day every day, but I can go out and fell and buck up a tree in an afternoon. The saws dont wear me out, humping the big rounds do....I usually quarter them or more right where they are before loading them.

Even at that size, around 45 cc, it will cut most of the wood you are likely to encounter. Did I mention, the easiest to work on? Then in the meantime keep your eyes opened for a deal on a pro saw like your 346xp or whatever. Hit up your local shops, see if they have a junker you can buy, then totally tear it down, rebuild it back up.

A coupla years ago and small change I joined here..I had one dinky saw..now I have dozens and I am in the lowest income bracket you can be in...I am not kidding, most of them I got for free or ten bucks and made them work, usually for a grand total of three bucks in fuel lines and two bucks for a fuel filter. The rest is cleaning and adjusting. The number one chainsaw repair tool is an air compressor for getting them clean enough to work on.... If the piston and cylinder are intact, and not all scored to crap..you can make them run 99% of the time. Pull the muffler to look. I grab non runners all the time, even if they dont run, or have toasted top ends, hey, spare parts, extra bars and chains etc. Its actually quite easy, chainsaws are about the easiest and cheapest engines you will ever work on.

You can find decent used ones for a $150-170 dead ones for 30-50 bones and they're relatively cheap to bring back to life. I love mine it starts easy and runs hard ( I ported it and mm'd). It's light they only weigh 10.6 lbs. It'd be a good saw to learn with. Here's a video to show you with the right set up it'll cut as fast as a good 60cc for what you'll be doing.

Husqvarna 340 vs Stihl ms362 - YouTube

Latest posts

Back