got off work early and got a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Wood

westcoast dweller
Reaction score
View attachment 280225got off work early so decided to go to a buddies for a couple cold ones. he had a hurt'n unit POS baja mini bike that he said he had been working on for 3 days trying to get it going. i said i'll take it home and bring it back tomorrow running. he was stoked so we loaded it into my truck and when doing so i asked him if he had any junk saws. he said he had a 395 that i could have :) he pulled it out and right off the bat i knew it was actually a 288 with a high top. i told him this and he asks why does it have a 395 cover on it. i said it's a 288 high top cover with HD filter. he was stumped hahahahah. so i brought them home and unloaded. to bad for me because i just gave Aaron (eccentric) my near mint 288 carcass and it would have been nice to have that. if this saw has a bad bottom end i will just give it to eccentric too so he can make one out of the 2. i have yet to look at it closely but so far i noticed all it needs is the chain tensioner and operator presence lever ;)

as you can see the saw is ugly and the only problem i have with it is the id tag is missing. i asked my buddy and he assured me it is not stolen. he got it from his dad who was the original buyer. he said it must have just fell off. i still don't like that though.
i'm thinking a new pull start handle, cord, and carb cleaning and it will be a good runner but like i said if i do find anything wrong with the bottom end it will be going to live with Aaron so he can build one out of the 2. we'll see how it goes. i will update this thread when i look further into the saw and fix the mini bike.

attachment.php

I'd like to report a stolen 288 high top to the forum, if the bottom is fine, it needs to be returned to me ASAP!:biggrin:

got that mini bike apart this morning. cylinder was full of water. flushed it out good. all the governor springs are stretched right out so i'm gonna have to shorten them to make them function right again. or just disconnect the governor all together and make it a screamer :) i think my buddy wants it to run like original though so his daughter can ride it without worrying about it taking off wild so i will have to make them work :( checked for spark and it's bright and blue even with the shi@#$ torch plug. gonna clean carb and flush the tank out and see what happens. it seems to be the same engine they put in the honda 3000 watt generators which i have worked on lots. if it is the same engine the muffler may have a pluged spark arrestor screen. last geny i worked on had that issue. should be running in an hour or so as long as i keep on it. i will be getting to the 288 later tonight. pulled top cover off and it's all complete :)

my buddy sayed he had been working on it for 3 days and i don't see how because you would think he would notice it was full of water. probably just filled the tank and pulled on it for 3 days because he is not very mechanically inclined :laugh:

i got an original comet tav2 torque converter thats dam near new, if you need a new one pm me if your interested

are you talking a torque convertor for the bike. if so i will keep you in mind. for now my buddy just needs it running. if it needs a torque convertor i will let him know i can get one.

are you talking a torque convertor for the bike. if so i will keep you in mind. for now my buddy just needs it running. if it needs a torque convertor i will let him know i can get one.

i had it on my mini bike i took it off because my wife's friends kid almost killed himself
with a 6.5hp motor on a baja "duler bug" all 200lbs of me leaning over the handle bars it would still pull the front tire off the ground and it would top out at about 45mph with the governor still attached.. dam it was fun

just came in to check out AS. messing with the governor springs right now. seems they are not the original springs but i think i have them at the correct tension now. gonna throw the tank on, bolt everything up and give it a go. tank was full of nasty chunkies. got it cleaned out good though :msp_thumbup:

i got my hands on an old riding lawn mower a few years back. was a five speed with a clutch and dirty old 8 horse briggs. disconnected the governor and the thing would cat walk at the drop of the clutch. was fun but was geared to slow. i got a trailer for it and used it around the yard. ended up throwing the rod so it went to the scrap metal yard :D

I would love to know the actual population of 181, 281 and 288's in BC.....I bet the #'s would be staggering! Everyone seems to have one or six of them!!:msp_thumbup:

Nice score!:rock:

there are lots of of 181, 281, 288's here in B.C but i would say not nearly as many compared to 2100's. it seems like everyones garage you go into out here there is a 2100 chill'n.

that bike is running but it is backfiring severly out the exhaust. so that tells me right away that it's got a burnt valve or hopefully just needs a valve adjustment. gonna be pulling the valve cover off next. i'm gonna tell my bud that i ain't into lapping the valves on that thing if they need to be. although removing the head would sure be easy ;)

that bike is golden now. exhaust valve was just out of adjustment. i tinkered with the governor springs the best i could and still can't get it to go down to idle. i'm thinking i'm gonna just try make a solid rod that will go betwen the throttle linkage and the governor. it seems like the linkage needs to move further then the governor so i hope it is possible to do. i never liked the spring setup on these engines. my buddy showed up just when i got the exhaust valve adjusted so i ran it for him and he was stoked. he could have took it but i told him i would fix the throttle up properly so it will go down to idle. shouldn't be a hard job at all. just gotta find a piece of rod that will work :msp_thumbup:

that bike is golden now. exhaust valve was just out of adjustment. i tinkered with the governor springs the best i could and still can't get it to go down to idle. i'm thinking i'm gonna just try make a solid rod that will go betwen the throttle linkage and the governor. it seems like the linkage needs to move further then the governor so i hope it is possible to do. i never liked the spring setup on these engines. my buddy showed up just when i got the exhaust valve adjusted so i ran it for him and he was stoked. he could have took it but i told him i would fix the throttle up properly so it will go down to idle. shouldn't be a hard job at all. just gotta find a piece of rod that will work :msp_thumbup:

I've had good luck with straightening out long cotter pins or stainless welding wire.

ya i'm thinking i'm gonna use a spring to pull the governor back to idle then use a rod or some wire from the throttle mechanism to the governor to open it up. the springs are just a big pain.

Latest posts

Back