Got screwed on craiglslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad1000s

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some guy called me and told me he had a Stihl 026 pro for sale for the sum of $100. I asked him what was wrong with it and he told me nothing. He said that it starts and runs great. I drove 45 min one way to meet him. The saw was as described in very nice condition. It started first pull and ran fantastic. I just got home and removed the covers to clean it up and here is what i found. A broken fin on the flywheel and the crankshaft is broke with a missing flywheel nut. I wished the flywheel had come off and blown a hole in the cover. I would have handed is saw back and said "sorry about your luck" Some deals are too good to be true!

P1010918.jpg

P1010917.jpg

P1010919.jpg

P1010920.jpg

P1010921.jpg

Last edited:
Some guy called me and told me he had a Stihl 026 pro for sale for the sum of $100. I asked him what was wrong with it and he told me nothing. He said that it starts and runs great. I drove 45 min one way to meet him. The saw was as described in very nice condition. It started first pull and ran fantastic. I just got home and removed the covers to clean it up and here is what i found. A broken fin on the flywheel and the crankshaft is broke with a missing flywheel nut. I wished the flywheel had come off and blown a hole in the cover. I would have handed is saw back and said "sorry about your luck" Some deals are too good to be true!

it still worth fixing if nothing else major wrong with it,,you can part it out and make all your money back and more then likely a profit

Sorry to hear about the saw. I personally feel you cannOt get screwed on cl though. You have the option of checking the saw over thoroughly while it's in your hands before making the purchase. All thinks you talk about wrong with it could have been insPected in 3O seconds. Hope it works out though.

Sorry to hear about the saw. I personally feel you cannOt get screwed on cl though. You have the option of checking the saw over thoroughly while it's in your hands before making the purchase. All thinks you talk about wrong with it could have been insPected in 3O seconds. Hope it works out though.

Yes you are absolutely right! It is my fault. I should have took a T27 with me. But you live and you learn.

shoot, the plastic alone is worth more than $100 I say good score if anything you have a great parts saw to piece out and sell.:clap:

Yes you are absolutely right! It is my fault. I should have took a T27 with me. But you live and you learn.

Sometimes people won't let you take their merchandise apart to inspect it. I doubt this guy would let you. No, it's not your fault, the seller was being dishonest because I'm sure he knew about the crank but didn't tell you.

I dunno about the not being able to be screwed on CL.

Were OP to JB-weld a crank nut in place and flip it, knowing the saw was less than 100% but portraying it as 100%, would he not be screwing the new buyer? Even if new buyer looked and saw the nut "in place" and even starting the saw? Would all responsibility be on the BUYER because the point-of-sale inspection didn't reveal a major flaw? Nope, I think not. The seller must truly represent his wares, and the buyer should NOT go in expecting a screwing and thus do a teardown inspection. If the saw was misrepresented and a major flaw was simply not caught in time, the seller screwed the buyer.

Now take this back one notch. Did the seller sell a known flawed saw to the OP? OF COURSE HE DID! Who else sells a clean 260 pro for $100, and more over, where's the nut? Don't you think it raised all kinds of hell before the previous owner pulled the recoil, dumped the nut, made dang sure the flywheel was stuck to the crank "just enough" THEN made it available so cheap it would be snatched up without question? Yeah, my money's on the OP getting screwed. He got less than was presented for the sum agreed. Whether or not he can make lemonade out of the lemon is irrelevant.

Of course, just my 2₵

An 026 is a very popular saw. Ive seen tons of crankcase assemblies on flee bay. I would buy one and change out the crankshaft. Rick

The whole point is that the saw was not as presented. Even if it turned out to be the deal of the century I would have been angry too because of the dishonesty of the seller.

Where does he live? I know a tree guy whose recourse with things like this is dumping a load of crap/stumps/chips in front yards at 4am...

I look at it as a Karma thing...... he will get his no doubt. The good news as other have said is that you can recoupe most of your money. just think how mad you would be if you paid 250$ for the saw.

yup, right way is to get a replacement crank/seals in it. Maybe add a piston ring.

alternative could be to carefully drill and tap the center of the broken crank and retain the flywheel with a good grade 5 bolt and washers. or find a machinist that
can do the drill and tap.

fwiw

Where does he live? I know a tree guy whose recourse with things like this is dumping a load of crap/stumps/chips in front yards at 4am...

LOL! That sounds like a good plan to me.

Sucksa about your saw bud, but I still think it was a good buy if it was in great shape otherwise.

I would'nt part it out, I would replace the crank and run it. That is, if the broken crank is the only thing wrong with it.

If you want your 100 back, let me know.:)

I look at it as a Karma thing...... he will get his no doubt. The good news as other have said is that you can recoupe most of your money. just think how mad you would be if you paid 250$ for the saw.

Yea, or 350. I see them go for 350+ all the time in excellent condition. I would have been making another trip to his house if that were the case. He would still get a mean phone call as is. :hmm3grin2orange:

The whole point is that the saw was not as presented. Even if it turned out to be the deal of the century I would have been angry too because of the dishonesty of the seller.

I called the seller back and he played dumb like he knew nothing about it. Oh well, at least it did come with a like new B&C (not in pic)

I'll give you your money back,,, + Shipping,,,,and a little extra for packaging it up!!!!

BTW,,, judging by the rust in your pic of the end of the crank its been broke for a while,,,

that flywheel shouldnt come off unless u put a puller on it!!!

BTW,,,,,again,,, its possible he never pulled the starter cover if he didnt need to,,,
really could have been an honest Screwing you got!!!!! LOLOL!!!!

Not everyboby who has a saw hangs out here,, much less has CAD as bad as you do!!!!!! LOLOLOL!!!

Last edited:
If you are looking to NOT resell it but run it, you can drill and tap a bolt into that crank, use fine thread and a washer. I did that on a mini Mac for a buddy that was really in a pinch and the saw still runs to this day, I would never recommend doing this for resale but if you are just using it as a backup, should be fine, just make sure you hit it dead center and only tap in about 1/4"-3/8"

Really you didn't get screwed, but weren't that what you were trying to do????

Now don't get me wrong, I like a great deal as much as the next guy, and would have GLADLY paid twice the asking price for my 5.2 Craftsman.
And when the seller lowered it from $150.00 to $100.00 before I ever said a word, I told him that was too much saw for the price and he was selling it too cheap.
He stuck to the $100.00 price and I whipped a Franklin on him so quick I'm surprised it didn't cut his hand off.

But if you had bought a pristine 026Pro for $100.00 you would have been on here telling everyone what a great deal you got.

You got exactly what you paid for, and I will use the offers of getting your money back as my evidence. If you were truly screwed, instead of two or three members offering to buy you out, they would have been laughing or at least consoling.
No my friend, you bought a $100.00 026 that needs a little work.

Go forth and be happy!!!!

Mike

Latest posts

Back