Got the Dolmars out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean Maclaren, the 044 has been overshadowe'd here for many year's by the 046, and we all know what a capable saw a 44 is.

You know guys, I think one of the most underrated saws on AS is the 7300. I got to run one a few months ago, and in 25" seasoned oak it was as eevry bit as fast as my new 681. Now grant it my 681 was on its 1st tank of gas, and was running a little rich, thats still IMHO, very impressive. I wander what the weight difference is between the 7900?

Same weight. 13.6lb powerhead. The 7300 & 7900 share the same chassis, along with the 6400.

Same weight. 13.6lb powerhead. The 7300 & 7900 share the same chassis, along with the 6400.

I should have figured. Thats why everyone gets the 7900. Plus the fact that there prolly wasnt that much of a price difference between them. Makes sense. Nonetheless, the 7300 is a screamer.

You know guys, I think one of the most underrated saws on AS is the 7300. I got to run one a few months ago, and in 25" seasoned oak it was as eevry bit as fast as my new 681. Now grant it my 681 was on its 1st tank of gas, and was running a little rich, thats still IMHO, very impressive. I wander what the weight difference is between the 7900?

The weight spec of the 681 isn't anywhere close to true (happens often with Solo saws), and it is a lot heavier than the 7900........

There are times that all I will take are vintage saws, this wasn't one of them. :msp_biggrin:

It was hot, I was short on time and the 7900 is still bascially brand new and needed run. Yeah I could have used a Poulan 5200 as it is really only about 1 1/2 lbs heavier then the 7900 and would probably out cut it with a bigger bar, but then again this tree was a mess and I didnt want to subject my old saws to possible damage. I can get a new 7900 any day of the week, not the 5200.

There again, I could have used a Poulan 3000 or Partner 500/5000 and still cut just as much and just as fast but since I have not been that sold on the 5100 so far and really needed to get some more time with it before I decided to part with it or not it got its time to shine. It did shine a little brighter then I thought as well, but I still miss my Husky 353......

Aaron, with those things in mind, there is no way I'm hauling that 6000 out for a job like this. It weighs a ton and 6CI was no where needed for this one...

Al, thats a nice bunch you got there!

Bob, I know you got a couple and its nice to run the modern saws sometimes aint it?

I think we were going by the title (and your enthusiasm for and knowledge of the old Green saws), rather than the details of the job Mark. I call FALSE ADVERTISING!!!:jester:

Mark,i cut with dolmars and husky's,i do the same thing all the time !! LOL !!
was thinking about trying to reverse the switch or put a husky one in so both the same :)

It used to be common to put Husky switches on the 7900s when the stock switches failed - which they too often did.

I don't know if Dolmar have improved the switch, but haven't "heard" of the issue in a while......:msp_smile:

jeez,

I thought you were SUPPOSED to look at a switch before you attempt to run a saw...silly me. Never had a problem with either the husky switch or the Dolmar....Stihl has this all messed up if'n you ask me. Stihls is counter intuitive. dolmar- pull choke -slide switch to "ON" (wow thats tough to spot) and pull rope is pretty thoughtless to me. Awe heck I'm still partial to plugging off the decomp switch on the 066...but thats just me. Just another thing to NOT remember....

on is "ON" and choke is "CHOKE"....seems simple to me.

That weight speck isn't true, but not more off tham many other weight specs......

It sure isnt true. This one was fresh out of the box, but it is a heated handle model but I dont think that adds this much.
attachment.php

jeez,

I thought you were SUPPOSED to look at a switch before you attempt to run a saw...silly me. Never had a problem with either the husky switch or the Dolmar....Stihl has this all messed up if'n you ask me. Stihls is counter intuitive. dolmar- pull choke -slide switch to "ON" (wow thats tough to spot) and pull rope is pretty thoughtless to me. Awe heck I'm still partial to plugging off the decomp switch on the 066...but thats just me. Just another thing to NOT remember....

Sure its simple when your young enough to see well without glasses.

I said I didnt have my glasses, what is hard to understand that its hard to see up close without them?

It sure isnt true. This one was fresh out of the box, but it is a heated handle model but I dont think that adds this much.
attachment.php

Mark, did ya weigh it w/out the dawgs? I know that wouldnt make a big difference at all, but I think they weigh them as bare as they can at the factory? Atleast thats what i heard....

Sure its simple when your young enough to see well without glasses.

I said I didnt have my glasses, what is hard to understand that its hard to see up close without them?

I see fine at a distance without my glasses. Everything is a blur up close though. I don't normally cut wearing them, I misjudge where the tip of the bar is with glasses on. I suppose it changes my depth perception.

Getting old ain't fun, but it sure beats the alternative.

Right. Seems like they all weigh more than they are claimed to weigh by the manufacturer.

If that's always the case and weight is one of the prime considerations for both use and bragging rights, I'm surprised that no one has started a community master chart that lists the actual weight of every saw. I'm not suggesting that we go the the barn and weight our used saws on fish scales but every time a member pulls a new saw out of the box they could weigh the powerhead on a digital scale. That info would then be added to the master list so that we could, over time, compile some fairly accurate data. I think it would be helpful to the community and it would be great to keep these manufactures honest, so to speak.

That stated, I'm baffled that manufacturers don't, on their own accord, take pride in listing true weights for each model and variation. If I was a manufacturer or head of marketing, I would not only accurately list the weight of my own saws but I'd exploit the lies that my competition listed as truth. I realize that this is probably a worn out subject but it sure would be neat to see a marketing team step up to the plate of authenticity on this particular specification.

Perhaps I'll start the powerhead actual weight list thread, starting with the 7900

Dolmar 7900 (heated handle)
Listed weight: 13.6lbs True weight: 14.9lbs

So much for it being the "same weight as a 372 but with more power" as we've all seen mentioned here a hundred times.

Last edited:
jeez,

Of course it all seems simple to YOU.
your from "joisey" , where everybody is smarter than einstien , able to leap tall buildings in a single bound,and perfect in every way ,etc.
and if you dont think so just ask somebody from "joisey" and they will tell you how human kind breeds so much more superior there.

If that's always the case and weight is one of the prime considerations for both use and bragging rights, I'm surprised that no one has started a community master chart that lists the actual weight of every saw. I'm not suggesting that we go the the barn and weight our used saws on fish scales but every time a member pulls a new saw out of the box they could weigh the powerhead on a digital scale. That info would then be added to the master list so that we could, over time, compile some fairly accurate data. I think it would be helpful to the community and it would be great to keep these manufactures honest, so to speak.

That stated, I'm baffled that manufacturers don't, on their own accord, take pride in listing true weights for each model and variation. If I was a manufacturer or head of marketing, I would not only accurately list the weight of my own saws but I'd exploit the lies that my competition listed as truth. I realize that this is probably a worn out subject but it sure would be neat to see a marketing team step up to the plate of authenticity on this particular specification.

Perhaps I'll start the powerhead actual weight list thread, starting with the 7900

So much for it being the "same weight as a 372 but with more power" as we've all seen mentioned here a hundred times.

It's been done at least once before on AS. I can remember a thread from a few years ago where guys were posting pics of powerheads on scales. Don't think anyone actually compiled a chart/spreadsheet however.

I know just exactly what ya mean. I got really frustrated one time over a Husqvarna 357XP. But come to find out they all do it, and it's really just one of those things that cant and will not be changed by the maufacturer's IMHO. Best thing to do is just not worry about it and whenever ya see one ya want just plan on it being a little heavier than rated, or ask someine on here what they would actually weigh.

Back